We celebrate short films of all kinds! Now in its 26th year, the Extremely Shorts Film Festival is a juried competition of all genres of short films and videos (3 minutes or less) from around the world.
Extremely Shorts is organized by Houston media arts organization Aurora Picture Show, and juried by guest artists, filmmakers, and curators. Each year, 20-25 short works are selected to screen at the two-day festival, held May 19-20. The short format of the festival encourages innovative approaches to filmmaking in a range of genres including narrative, experimental, documentary, and animation.
Extremely Shorts Film Festival 2023 will take place in Houston May 19 & 20, with online streaming May 26-28. This year’s festival juror, Venezuelan filmmaker Luis Arnías, will be in attendance for in-person screenings.
Juror's Choice cash award (main program): $200
Audience Choice cash award (main program): $200
Each selected film will receive a screening fee of $20 (payable PayPal or check).
Rules: To be considered for entry, your film must be under 3 minutes long, including titles.
Terms & Conditions:
• Your film will be presented in both online and in-person screenings.
• Your film/video will be screened during the Extremely Shorts Film Festival and will be eligible to win a filmmaker award.
• Your film/video may be utilized for promotional purposes of the festival, limited to private screenings and preview-only copies for press and supporters.
• A sample clip of my film/video (up to 30 seconds in length) may be promoted via the Aurora Picture Show web site and Vimeo or YouTube non-profit channels, unless otherwise arranged with Aurora.
• The filmmaker will permit Aurora Picture Show to use their name and stills from my film/video (at least one print-quality version provided upon request) for promotional purposes.
• The filmmaker has the option to give permission for your film to be included on a touring program and in the Aurora Video Library. Filmmakers are always contacted prior to any additional screening.