Celebrating 11 years of excellence in short film making we are excited to invite you to take part in the 11th Annual Elgin Short Film Festival taking place in Elgin, IL on Saturday, September 21, 2019. The ESFF has drawn film entries from around the world making this an impressive event that has entertained film lovers since 2009. We are currently inviting filmmakers to submit their short films (20 minutes in length) for competition in our festival.
Entries in our festival can only be up to 20 minutes long including credits. This competition will allow any filmmaker to submit work, even if it has been entered into other festival competitions! We encourage submitting films in every genre and subject matter as long as they are within the scope of the official rules.
Exciting components to our festival:
• There are two categories for films to be entered. The ESFF will feature a Live Action category and an Animation category.
• Next In Finalist- Each category will have 5 potential finalist. The top 2, as voted on by the selection committee, will make the finals. The next 3 films in each category will compete to make the finals on September 15th as part of the Elgin Fringe Festival.
• NEW FOR 2019: ESFF will accept films that are the equivalent of an MPAA ‘R’ rating.
• The Top Finalist’s films selected will be treated to a red carpet arrival the night of the festival and will be shown in the 1200 seat theater of The Hemmens Cultural Center!
• New digital projector inside the Hemmens Cultural Center.
• Mike Toomey, comedian and integral part of the WGN morning show, returns to MC our event.
The excitement for this 11th annual Elgin Short Film Festival grows stronger every day. We encourage your participation and look forward to your submission for the 2019 Elgin Short Film Festival. The entry fee for films submitted by August 2nd, 2019 is $40. Films submitted after August 2nd, 2019 will have a $50 fee. The deadline to submit your film is August 23rd, 2019!
First Place for Best Film: Trophy & $1,000
Second Place for Best Film: Trophy and $500
Third Place for Best Film: Trophy & $300
The People’s Choice Award (based on audience votes cast during intermission): Trophy
The top 3 films in each category will be recognized on the night of the festival, September 21, 2019 .
Please see website for full rules. Since submission of a film constitutes acceptance of these Entry Rules & Regulations (by filmmakers and their agents), please review this document carefully.
Since submission of a film constitutes acceptance of these Entry Rules & Regulations (by filmmakers and their agents), please review this document carefully.
To be eligible for consideration, entrants must fully comply with the following Rules & Regulations, including deadline and entry material requirements and selected film requirements.
Films must be no more than twenty (20) minutes in length (including credits).
1. Films must be postmarked no later than August 23, 2019. Early Entry rates are available for entries postmarked by August 2, 2019. See page 2 for details. The ESFF Committee may temporarily prohibit the acceptance of film entries or may advance the aforementioned submission deadline to any date prior to August 23, 2019 in the ESFF Committee's sole discretion without prior notice.
2. All entries must be either in English, contain English subtitles, or be dubbed in English.
3. NEW FOR 2019: ESFF will accept films that are the equivalent of an MPAA ‘R’ rating. However, the ESFF reserves the right to reject submissions which it considers inappropriate in the sole discretion of the ESFF Committee (e.g., submissions which contain excessive nudity, violence or vulgarity).
4. Films that have been previously submitted to the Elgin Short Film Festival are NOT eligible for competition.
5. Films must be submitted either electronically through the FilmFreeway website at https://filmfreeway.com/festival/ElginShortFilmFestival or on three (3) identical DVD’s (NTSC) delivered to The Hemmens Cultural Center. The production’s title and entrant’s name must be on each case and DVD.
6. All entries must be a complete film. Submitted works that are deemed by the ESFF Committee to be a “work in progress,” “rough cut,” or a portion of a larger work will not be accepted.
7. Entrant confirms and warrants that he/she has the required legal authority to submit the entry into the Festival and to use all music, images, and content in the entry.
8. Submitted works must not have been commercially exhibited in the U.S. or publicly broadcast.
9. Selected films may be promoted through all media types and outlets for promotional purposes by the Hemmens Cultural Center and the City of Elgin. In addition, ESFF reserves the right to re-screen selected projects at events and promotional showcases featuring festival highlights.
10. Entrants must be 18 years of age or older. Underage filmmakers must have their film submitted by a parent or guardian over the age of 18.