Welcome to Durham Film Festival 2023!
We are a Durham University short film festival run by students, for students! We want to hear your voice and watch your film. No matter where in the world you are from, if you are an aspiring student filmmaker, DFF will be an incredible opportunity for you to shine! Films are screened over 2 nights and accompanied by an events programme, all of which is centred in Durham, England.
There are 2 categories to enter your short film in:
* Student Filmmaker (£10 entry fee) - a category for student film-makers anywhere. Submissions must be sent from your university/educational institution email. Please ensure you set up your FilmFreeway account with your university/educational institution email address.
* North East Student Filmmaker (£7 entry fee) - a category for student film-makers based in the North East of England. Submissions must be sent from your university/educational institution email. Please ensure you set up your FilmFreeway account with your university/educational institution email address.
Films will be selected by a jury including a representative from the BFI (British Film Institute). The Official Selection films will be organised by stands, screened, and judged by the jury from the 12th-13th of June at the Gala Theatre & Cinema, Durham. Winning films will be awarded prizes.
More questions? Check out our FAQs:
Durham International Film Festival is open to international films and is accepting short film submissions only.
We have made the decision to make our submissions student only this year to champion emerging voices; your film can be any genre or style, the only rule is it must be under 30 minutes!
1. Films which have been broadcast on television, cable or have had an international theatrical release prior to our festival are NOT eligible.
2. All entrants certify that they have been given full rights to use any and all music in their films.
3. All films must have a maximum runtime of 30 minutes.
4. All film dialogue not in English should be subtitled.
5. Entrants must be a member of a university or higher education institution to submit a film (certain stipulations can apply here and we will release more information about this on our FAQs page).
6. Films selected for Official Selection will be screened in person by Durham Film Festival in the Gala Theatre & Cinema.