WE DO NOT OFFER FEE WAIVERS!!!
Created to encourage content creators from unique backgrounds to share their stories during the Cannes Film Festival, the independent Diversity in Cannes Short Film & Web Series Showcase will promote the work of diverse (thought, race, gender, age, religion, physical ability and sexual orientation) filmmakers and recognize them globally for their achievements in film.
The top 10 to 18 films & web series from ALL eligible entries, as determined by Diversity in Cannes and its partners, will be ANNOUNCED LIVE ON SOCIAL MEDIA during the official selection press conference the week of April 10, 2023.
These films will be considered in competition (official selections) and screened during the Diversity in Cannes Short Film & Webseries Showcase in May 2023 at an independent event during the Cannes Film Festival, COVID PERMITTING!!!!
Showcase winners will be determined by jury and announced at an awards reception immediately following the Showcase.
While the events take place in France at the same time as the Cannes Film Festival the Diversity in Cannes Short Film Showcase is an INDEPENDENT EVENT SPONSORED BY ACADEMY AWARD !!!
Prizes for General Showcase Winners are meant to promote filmmakers, expand their network, assist with career advancement and to prepare for future projects.
* 2021 prizes listed below. 2023 prizes subject to change*
• Mentorship meeting (phone/video conference) with Julius Tennon and Kaylon
Hunt of JuVee Productions.
• Professional consultation, including mentor meeting and script coverage with
Whitney Davis and other executives at Anthony Hemingway Productions (AHP).
• Two-hour screenplay assessment with Award-Winning
Producer, Darren Dean (THE FLORIDA PROJECT, KINYARWANDA,
PREMATURE, Tangerine), to be scheduled at the convenience of both
• Agent meeting (phone/video conference) with Tracy Christian of TCA (Tracy
Christian Talent Agency).
• Mentorship Meeting (Phone or Virtual) with Writer / Producer Kyle Harimoto,
executive producer of NCIS:LA on CBS. Past credits include LAS VEGAS for
NBC and HAWAII FIVE-0 for CBS. He has current development deals with
Amazon Studios and USA / PEACOCK.
• Mentorship meeting (in person/phone/video conference) with Siena Oberman,
Producer at Artemis Pictures and alumni of Diversity in Cannes Short Film
• Manager meeting (phone/video conference) with Claire Best of Claire Best and
• Complimentary submission (1) to the 2022 Diversity in Cannes Short Film
• Complimentary submission to film festival of choice during regular submission
• Legal consultation/contract review with Entertainment Attorney Nathan Hale
Williams of Inhale Entertainment.
• Complimentary consultation including character and theme development on your
next film project with PsychMinded Media.
• One hour festival, PR or social media strategy consultation with marketing
• Comprehensive list of global film initiatives to fund your next project.
• Short film score consultation with MannYScorseyze.
• Link to winning film or trailer on the Diversity in Cannes Facebook, YouTube,
Twitter and Instagram pages (as appropriate).
• Guest on Diversity in Cannes’ Cannes Conversations where we’ll share film trailer and
discuss winner's current and future projects.
• Global exposure via press release announcing winners of the Diversity in Cannes
Short Film Showcase distributed electronically.
• Diversity in Cannes Short Film Showcase certificate.
WE DO NOT OFFER FEE WAIVERS!!!!
ALL PROJECTS MUST BE SUBMITTED IN ONE OF THE FOLLOWING PRIMARY CATEGORIES:
ALL "BEST" CATEGORIES (BEST ACTRESS, ACTOR, ETC) ARE OPTIONAL AND SECONDARY!!!
PROJECTS SUBMITTED WITHOUT A PRIMARY CATEGORY WILL BE DISQUALIFIED WITH NO REFUND!!!!
There is no limit to the number of entries as long as they meet requirements below.
* must be submitted by April 1, 2023 (deadlines subject to change)
* must be the work of a diverse filmmaker or tell a diverse story
* must be under 20 minutes including credits
* must have English subtitles if shot in another language
* must not contain pornography
* must not contain racist, sexist, offensive or defamatory statements intended to harm
* must not cause harm to anyone
* must not be an invasion of privacy
* must have complete rights to film’s content
* must have a copyright owner who is at least 18 years of age
* must be copyright free
* must be original work and not based, in whole or in part on material, fictional or nonfiction, produced or un-produced, published or unpublished, unless such material was originally created and published/produced by the applicant in another medium and not based
Judging to Determine Finalists
All entries received during the open call for entries will be reviewed by the festival administrator for eligibility and compliance with the entry requirements. Following the festival administrator’s review, eligible entries will be made available for judging by a screening committee of Diversity in Cannes diverse partners representing the North America, Asia, Africa, Europe, South America partners. All films are entitled to at least 3 screeners and will be judged on the elements below. Competition films will be selected from all eligible entries. Decision of the screening committee is final!
* Creativity and Originality
* Production Value
* Sound Music
* Overall Impression
Top 10 to 18 films from ALL eligible entries as determined by Diversity in Cannes and its partners will be considered in competition and screened during the Diversity in Cannes Short Film & WebSeries Showcase in May 2023 at an independent event during Diversity Day at the Cannes Film Festival, COVID PERMITTING!!!!
Winners will be determined by jury and announced at an awards reception immediately following the Showcase.
By agreeing to showcase your work with Diversity in Cannes Short Film & Web Series Showcase, you agree to the following:
* Diversity in Cannes Short Film & Web Series Showcase & Awards is not responsible for any lost, damaged, or stolen items, including films in any medium, while en-route or in our possession, on or off of festival grounds.
* All fees are non-transferable and non-refundable.
* Applicant claims all liability and damages in relation to any screening of applicant's submission to which applicant does not hold complete rights to its content.
* Applicant is responsible for clearing all rights to the content of the film prior to exhibition.
* Applicant grants DIC Short Film & Web Series Showcase the right to use excerpts from accepted films including audio, video, names and images to promote the festival.
* The rights-holder allows the DIC Short Film & Webseries Showcase to screen the submitted work, in full, at the 2023 DIC Short Film & Web Series Showcase without further communication or approval.
* Applicant permits the DIC Short Film & Web Series Showcase to retain one or more copies of applicant's film for use in the Showcase archives.
* Applicant permits the DIC Short Film & Web Series Showcase to create digital copies of applicants film for use by Showcase staff & associates to facilitate the pre-screening process.
** While Showcase attendance is not required, when determining the 2023 official selections, .priority will be given to filmmakers planning to travel to Cannes to promote their projects **
** While we screen all films submitted for consideration, we prefer projects under 20 minutes for optimized programming. We want to showcase as many shorts as possible.