Created to encourage content creators from unique backgrounds to share their stories during the Cannes Film Festival, the independent Diversity in Cannes Short Film & Web Series Showcase will promote the work of diverse (thought, race, gender, age, religion, physical ability and sexual orientation) filmmakers and recognize them globally for their achievements in film.
Top six to eight films & web series from ALL eligible entries as determined by Beyond Borders: Diversity in Cannes and its partners will be ANNOUNCED LIVE ON SOCIAL MEDIA during the official selection press conference the week of April 16, 2018.
These films will be considered in competition (official selections) and screened during the Diversity in Cannes Short Film & Webseries Showcase in May 2018 at an independent event during the Cannes Film Festival.
Showcase winners will be determined by jury and announced at the showcase.
While the events take place in France at the same time as the Cannes Film Festival the Diversity in Cannes Short Film Showcase is an INDEPENDENT EVENT!!!
Prizes for General Showcase Winners
Top six to eight films/web series from ALL eligible entries as determined by Beyond Borders: Diversity in Cannes and its partners will be considered in competition and screened during the Beyond Borders: Diversity in Cannes Short Film & Web series Showcase in May 2018 during the Cannes Film Festival. Winners will be determined by jury and announced at the showcase.
2017 Prizes (2 Winners)
*prizes subject to change*
* One hour consultation (in person/phone/video conference) with a CBS Entertainment
Diversity executive as well as script coverage for your TV script, if applicable.
* Possible short film distribution as a part of the Diversity in Cannes Playlist on
Seed & Spark- www.seedandspark.com. (selected films)
* Complimentary subscription to Seed & Spark
* Complimentary graphic package from Electric Heart Media valued at $500.
* Mentorship meeting (in person/phone/video conference) with Angela Northington, Urban
Movie Channel’s general manager and executive vice-president of content acquisitions. * * subscription to Urban Movie Channel www.umc.tv.
* Complimentary submission to the UK’s TriForce Short Film Festival.
* One hour marketing consultation with Moca Media to discuss project goals and film strategies. mocamedia.tv.
* Guest appearance on Film Fervor, a film podcast hosted by Justin Kinkaid.
* One hour social media strategy consultation with marketing communications professional Yolonda Brinkley.
* Link to winning film or trailer on the Beyond Borders: Diversity in Cannes website,
Facebook, Youtube and Twitter Pages (as appropriate).
* Guest on Diversity in Cannes’ Twitter Trailer Tuesday where we’ll share your films trailer
and discuss your current and future projects.
* Global exposure via press release announcing winners of the Diversity in Cannes Short
Film & Webseries Showcase.
* Film screened at the Beyond Borders: Diversity in Cannes Pre-Cannes Film Festival
Information Session and US Screening Series Q1 2018 in the US (Los Angeles, New York or
* Diversity in Cannes Short Film & Webseries Showcase certificate.
ALL PROJECTS MUST BE SUBMITTED IN ONE OF THE FOLLOWING PRIMARY CATEGORIES:
ALL OTHER CATEGORIES (BEST ACTRESS, ACTOR, ENSEMBLE CAST ETC) ARE OPTIONAL AND SECONDARY!!!
PROJECTS SUBMITTED WITHOUT A PRIMARY CATEGORY WILL BE DISQUALIFIED WITH NO REFUND!!!!
There is no limit to the number of entries as long as they meet requirements below.
* must be submitted by April 1, 2018
* must be the work of a diverse filmmaker or tell a diverse story
* must be under 20 minutes including credits
* must have English subtitles if shot in another language
* must not contain pornography
* must not contain racist, sexist, offensive or defamatory statements
* must not cause harm to anyone
* must not be an invasion of privacy
* must have complete rights to film’s content
* must have a copyright owner who is at least 18 years of age
* must be copyright free
* must be original work and not based, in whole or in part on material, fictional or nonfiction, produced or un-produced, published or unpublished, unless such material was originally created and published/produced by the applicant in another medium and not based
Judging to Determine Finalists
All entries received during the open call for entries will be reviewed by the festival administrator for eligibility and compliance with the entry requirements. Following the festival administrator’s review, eligible entries will be made available for judging by a panel of Beyond Borders: Diversity in Cannes partners. Films will be judged on the elements below and competition films will be selected from all eligible entries. Decision of the screening committee is final!
* Creativity and Originality
* Production Value
* Sound Music
* Overall Impression
Top six to eight films from ALL eligible entries as determined by Beyond Borders: Diversity in Cannes and its partners will be considered in competition and screened during the Diversity in Cannes Short Film & WebSeries Showcase in May 2018 at an independent event during the Cannes Film Festival.
Winners will be determined by jury and announced at the showcase.
By agreeing to showcase your work with Diversity in Cannes Short Film & Web Series Showcase, you agree to the following:
* Diversity in Cannes Short Film & Web Series Showcase & Awards is not responsible for any lost, damaged, or stolen items, including films in any medium, while en-route or in our possession, on or off of festival grounds.
* All fees are non-transferable and non-refundable.
* Applicant claims all liability and damages in relation to any screening of applicant's submission to which applicant does not hold complete rights to its content.
* Applicant is responsible for clearing all rights to the content of the film prior to exhibition.
* Applicant grants DIC Short Film & Web Series Showcase the right to use excerpts from accepted films including audio, video, names and images to promote the festival.
* The rights-holder allows the DIC Short Film & Webseries Showcase to screen the submitted work, in full, at the 2018 DIC Short Film & Web Series Showcase without further communication or approval.
* Applicant permits the DIC Short Film & Web Series Showcase to retain one or more copies of applicant's film for use in the Showcase archives.
* Applicant permits the DIC Short Film & Web Series Showcase to create DVD copies of applicants film for use by Showcase staff & associates to facilitate the pre-screening process.
** While Showcase attendance is not required, when determining the 2018 official selections, .5 - 1 points will be added to the final total score of filmmakers attending the Diversity in Cannes Short Film Showcase **
** While we screen all films submitted for consideration, 1 point will be deducted from films over 20 minutes when determining the 2018 official selections**
Response from festival:
Thank you Siena and Alex. One of our goals is to connect globally diverse filmmakers in effort to expand their international network. So happy to know we've succeeded in that endeavor. We appreciate your continued support and look forward to nurturing a lasting relationship as we endeavor to promote diversity amd inclusion at the Cannes Film Festival!!
Response from festival:
Thank you! It was a pleasure meeting you and we look forward to your continued support of the Diversity in Cannes Short Film Showcase and the entire diversity and inclusion movement at the Cannes Film Festival. Without you and other filmmakers, there's no us!!!! Best wishes with your future endeavors!