ABOUT THE FESTIVAL
We are celebrating our 15th anniversary as the premiere Asian American film festival in Oregon! We proudly present the rich diversity of Asian American and Pacific Islander stories. Our goal is for increased API representation in film--not limited to specifically API stories, but any good story that features Asian American/Pacific Islanders on screen in wide-ranging roles. We highlight social justice issues and serve as a launching point for understanding, inquiry and action.
We offer home stays to attending filmmakers, and our all-volunteer staff provides both professionalism and friendly Eugene hospitality. Our modern University of Oregon venue is a spacious, vibrant, community gathering place. We have a festival fan-base that loves and supports not only our films, but our growing family of filmmakers.
DISCOVER ASIAN AMERICAN INDIE!
MISSION & OBJECTIVE
DisOrient is an Asian American Film Festival that celebrates indie films with authentic Asian Pacific American voices, histories and stories. We promote representation, diversity and inclusion to broaden the narrative of who is American and to strengthen and build community. We highlight social justice themes that translate to universal human experiences.
AWARDS ARE GIVEN FOR:
• Best Feature Narrative
• Best Feature Documentary
• Best Short Narrative
• Best Short Documentary
• Audience Award
• Jason D. Mak Award for Social Justice
To be considered for competition, entries must have completed production after November 30, 2017
We are seeking films “For us, by us and/or about us. Entries must have one of the following:
• A principal that identifies as Asian American/Pacific Islander (writer, producer, director, main actor, cinematographer)
• Be about an Asian American/Pacific Islander experience or subject
• Be made with Asian Americans/Pacific Islanders as the target audience
REQUIRED SUBMISSION MATERIALS
1. Entry Deadlines & Fees: Early Deadline September 30 $20 USD
Regular Deadline November 4 $30 USD
Late Deadline November 25 $40 USD
• We do not provide waivers; we encourage artists to take advantage of the early deadline discount.
• If paying by check, please make checks or M.O. payable to “DisOrient Asian American Film Festival” and mail to:
DisOrient Asian American Film Festival
1430 Willamette Street #30
Eugene, OR 97401-4049
• NOTE: The festival does NOT pay screening fees.
2. Preview Format: A password-protected Vimeo (720p optimal) link or secured online screener MUST be uploaded at the time of submission. This link must remain active and working through March 2020.
3. Electronic Press Kit Packet & Materials, uploaded to FilmFreeway. Press kit must include:
• 2 OR MORE Print quality still images (at least 300 dpi)
• Synopsis (long and short versions)
• Director’s biography & statement
• List of cast and crew, awards, and festival appearances
• Link to a downloadable theatrical trailer (in full quality DV or QuickTime format).
* Note: If you are a student, please list student year and school.
4. Mandatory qualification questionnaire:
• Does your film have a principal that identifies as Asian American/Pacific Islander? (writer, producer, director, animator, cinematographer, main actor)
•Please include names of principal(s), the role they played, and their ethnicity.
• Does the subject matter address an Asian American/Pacific Islander experience.? How?
• Is the target audience Asian Americans/Pacific Islanders? Explain.
*Note: If your film is selected, the festival may also request the following items to maximize exposure for your film: posters, director's photo, trailers, clips, press releases.
•Feature-Length: Digital; D-Cinema (DCP) or an Apple ProRes file in its native resolution and frame rate with either stereo or 5/1 audio tracks.
•Shorts: Digital; D-Cinema (DCP) or an Apple ProRes file in its native resolution and frame rate, with either stereo or 5/1 audio tracks.
Exhibition copies or electronic file of invited entries must be received at DisOrient Film Festival no later than 30 days prior to its scheduled screening. Return or forward shipping will be covered by DisOrient Film Festival.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
By submitting, the filmmaker or authorized representative of the submitted work, hereby grant the DisOrient Asian American Film Festival of Oregon permission to publicly display the submitted work both during the festival and for “Best of” and special screenings held at the discretion of the festival (if selected) and understand that the festival does not pay rental fees or appearance fees. In addition, you agree that the DisOrient Asian American Film Festival is not liable for any loss or damage to screeners or exhibition prints and cannot be held financially responsible for any other damages. Submitted preview materials will not be returned. You also agree to allow use of stills, audio, and video clips from the submitted work for promotional purposes. Your signature also certifies that you have received all appropriate copyright clearances and assume full liability for any and all copyright infringement. DisOrient Asian American Film Festival reserves the right to amend policies at its discretion.
DisOrient Asian American Film Festival is a 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation.