Dance On Screen is the first screendance festival in Austria. It takes place in Graz, UNESCO city of Design, Cultural Capital of Europe 2003 and capital city of Styria, annually since 2016.
It is an international dancefilm festival and includes a range of short films that celebrate the immediacy of dance combined with the intimacy of the camera's eyes - choreography to be seen through the lens and a strong relation between the dance and cinematic means of expression in terms of camera movement, framing, editing and post-production.
Dance On Screen wants to show a broad variety of stylistics, looking for short-dance-films that manifest their own artistic aesthetics and are engaged in a breadth of strategy of creating choreography.
With screenings, workshops, discussions and the film awards the festival aims at the creation of a space that stimulates the interest of the public and promotes creation and research in the field of screendance.
Best Film Award (money prize)
Best Choreography for Film (money prize)
Best Student Film (money prize)
Audience Award (artwork)
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
The Dance On Screen FilmFestival 9th Edition (2024) will take place in the UNESCO City of Design, Graz (Austria) in November 2024. Festival location is the Museum of Contemporary Arts, the 'Friendly Alien' in Graz.
By submitting your film you accept the following terms and conditions:
Participation terms, copyright and conditions
– The call is open to national and international filmmakers, dance companies and collectives. Participants can submit only one dancefilm.
– The works must be short dancefilms or dance animations, whose common language is dance, movement and broadly defined physical expression, with a maximum duration of 25 min. Longer films may be taken in consideration for a special screening without taking part in the competition. Videos that are a dance documentary or simply a dance recording or stage recording are not accepted and will not be selected for the screenings.
– The works must be original and all rights must be held by the authors. The submittant confirms to hold the distribution rights for the submitted work.
– It is the responsability of the applicant to ensure that full copyright and permissions have been acquired in advance of submission. The festival will not be accountable for any additional presentation costs. Please pay particular attention to ensure that music used has been cleared for copyright and any music presentation tariffs are not required.
- By participating in the festival, applicants cede the right to reproduce extracts and images of the submitted works for the purpose of promoting Dance On Screen FilmFestival events (eg. festival trailers, press release, ...). Participants waive all claims to remuneration where extracts of work are presented in such contexts. Any request to present extracts work outside of such contexts by a third party will be communicated to the films rights holder by the festival.
- Selected films will be presented in public screenings. For the screening the Dance On Screen FilmFestival will not pay any fees.
- Films that where already 'not selected' in former editions of the festival are excluded from this submission call.
- The festival will not be available or turned into an online/streaming event.
Registration, selection and awards
- The proposals must be sent within the submission deadline before 31th of May 2024 (23:59 MEZ), together with the registration form completed exclusively via FilmFreeway.
- The presented dancefilm must be sent with the password if necessary.
- The selected works must be sent in HD format together with 2 photos/film stills in JPG/300dpi.
- Films to be screened at the Festival will be selected by the curators and participate in the Dance On Screen AWARD competition. The award winners will be selected by an international jury.
- The participants of films qualified for the Festival will be informed directly by email. All submitters will be informed about the selection status by FilmFreeway's notification tool.
- The authors of films qualified for the Festival must send the screening copy, synopsis, film stills and credit list of the film by electronic means within one week after the notification of their participation.
- The submitted works will not be returned to their authors and will become part of the library of the festival.
- The authors of participating works that are fully, free available online (youtube/vimeo...) agree to provide a link for embedding the film into the festival archive (archive.danceonscreen.at).
- The authors of participating works that have a trailer (youtube/vimeo...) agree to provide a link for embedding the trailer on the festival website (danceonscreen.at) and in the festival archive (archive.danceonscreen.at).
– In case of spoken language in the film, if necessary for a better understanding of the piece, we recommend you to add English or German subtitles.
- Submitters that already have been selected and participated in former editions of Dance On Screen may request a waiver code.
Join the Festival
Filmmakers from all over the world tend to join our festival and we support artists of selected productions to come to Graz in person by covering a certain amount of travel costs/accomotation and a reduced fee for our dancefilm workshop.
Dance On Screen FilmFestival ON Tour 2023/24:
Dance On Screen is regularly invited to present a selection of films at several locations and in the course of cooperations with other dance/-film festivals throughout Europe. The curator of Dance On Screen will select some films to be screened On Tour. In the case of a selection the submittant agrees to the screening of the selected work On Tour according to the terms and conditions of Dance On Screen FilmFestival 2024 in Graz. Filmmakers of selected works for the On Tour program will be notified separately.
Selected films of the past Dance On Screen Editions were presented at the following festivals and locations:
- Internationales Solo-Tanz-Theater Festival Stuttgart (DE), 2017 & 2023
- ULTRA screendance festival, Udine (IT), 2023
- tanzhafen festival, Linz (AT), 2022
- Netzwerktanz Vorarlberg, Spielboden Dornbirn (AT), 2021
- Tanz Karlsruhe Festival, Karlsruhe (DE), 2021
- Initiation Partner of 1. Brindisi Dance Film Festival (IT), 2021
- Venere in Teatro Festival, Forte Maghera, Mestre (IT), 2021
- Athens Video Dance Project (GR), 2019
- Screendance Landscapes Symposion – due giorni su danza e schermo, Venezia (IT), 2018
- Szerpentin Tanzfilm-Festival Budapest (HU), 2018
- Dance On Screen On Tour at the Teatro San Materno, Ascona (CH), 2017