CURT'ARRUDA is a film festival inspired by rural life. Organised by cinema lovers and supported by the Municipality of Arruda dos Vinhos, a little town near Lisbon (the Portuguese capital).
CURT’ARRUDA aims to present national and international foreign films with the intent of encouraging the art of filmmaking with rurality as its central theme through the awards "Curt’Arruda" – Best Rural Short Film – and "Film’Arruda" – Best Short Film made in or about Arruda dos Vinhos.
Competition "Curt’Arruda" – Award for best rural short film (money prize of 1,500 EUR)
Competition "Film’Arruda" – Award for best short film made in or about the town of Arruda dos Vinhos (money prize of 500 EUR)
Film series – Screening of short films not submitted for competition
The CURT’ARRUDA Festival is a showcase for the presentation of national and international films.
It aims to promote the art of cinematography granting awards to the best rural short film and best
short film about Arruda dos Vinhos.
CURT’ARRUDA is a film festival, a showcase of cinematographic works, and an ode to rurality.
The festival is organized by the Municipality of Arruda dos Vinhos.
I. GENERAL PROVISIONS
a) Curt’Arruda – Competition for best rural short film
b) Film’Arruda – Competition for best short film about Arruda dos Vinhos
c) Short Films – Showcase of short films out of the competition
2. For the purposes of programming, the festival organization reserves the right to select a film
for a category for which it was not submitted and eliminate certain categories or create new
ones not mentioned in the regulations.
3. All films for the Curt'Arruda competition should be submitted through the FilmFreeway
platform at https//filmfreeway.com/CurtArruda or through the website at
http://www.curtarruda.pt/ considering the following:
a) Participants should follow through all suggested steps and procedures on the
b) The user is responsible for all costs associated with the use of the platform, and it is
the user´s responsibility to guarantee the accuracy of all data needed to complete
c) The festival organization might offer new platforms for film submissions during the
registration period for the 2020 edition
4. The final submission date for all categories will be 12 July 2020. Submissions received after
this date will only be accepted if the festival organization deems them beneficial for this edition
of the festival.
5. Films submitted for the Film’Arruda competition may also be considered for the Curt’Arruda
6. Participants will be informed if their submitted films were selected within a month starting from
the date mentioned in paragraph 4.
7. Participants are entirely responsible for the content of the submitted films, especially
concerning copyright and related rights.
8. Submission fee for the platform FilmFreeway:
a) Submissions from 6 April to 31 May 2020 - free of charge
b) Submissions from 1 June to 12 July 2020 - 2 EUR
9. All submissions made through the website are free of charge.
10. The festival organization must be granted all due rights for the screening of the films.
11. The 7th edition of the CURT'ARRUDA Festival will take place on the 9th, 10th and 11th of October
2020, in the great hall of Clube Recreativo Desportivo Arrudense and in the municipal auditorium
of Palácio do Morgado, both venues located in Arruda dos Vinhos.
12. The festival organization reserves the right to change the screenings venue for either of the
categories up until 8 hours before the screening, if necessary, and will inform all guests and
II – CURT’ARRUDA COMPETITION – BEST RURAL SHORT FILM
1. Films selected for this category include fiction, documentaries, animation and experimental
films, on a national and international level, that depict the central theme of “Rurality”, were
produced during the year of the festival and up until two years prior, and meet the following
a) Total duration (credits included) not exceeding 30 minutes
b) Subtitled in Portuguese each time there are dialogues in a foreign language
2. This competition’s awards are the following:
a) Curt'Arruda - Best Rural Short Film Award and a prize worth of 1.500 EUR
b) Curt'Arruda - Best Rural Short Film Public Award and a prize worth of 250 EUR
3. The jury for the Curt’Arruda – Best Rural Short Film Award consists of three individuals selected
by the festival organization. No member of the jury can have any personal interest, directly or
indirectly, related to the films submitted for this award.
4. The Curt'Arruda - Best Rural Short Film Public Award will be awarded by the audience through
secret vote held at the end of each screening.
5. The jury’s decision and the audience's decision will be announced at the CURT’ARRUDA
closing ceremony where the films will be screened.
III – FILM’ARRUDA COMPETITION – BEST SHORT FILM ABOUT ARRUDA DOS VINHOS
1. Films considered for this category include fiction, documentaries, animation and experimental
films, on a national and international level, that were filmed in or are about Arruda dos Vinhos,
that were produced during the year of the festival and up until two years prior, and that meet
the following conditions:
c) Total duration (credits included) not exceeding 30 minutes
d) Subtitled in Portuguese each time there are dialogues in a foreign language
2. The Film’Arruda – Best Short Film about Arruda dos Vinhos Award will be awarded by the
audience through secret vote held at the end of each screening.
3. The winner will receive the Film’Arruda/Joel Rodrigues – Best Short Film about Arruda dos
Vinhos Award as well as a monetary prize worth of 500 EUR.
4. The winner will be announced at CURT’ARRUDA closing ceremony where the film will be
IV– SHORT FILMS CATEGORY (FILMS OUT OF COMPETITION)
1. The Short Films category will screen all national and international short films not submitted for
2. Films considered for this selection include fiction, documentary, animation and experimental that
meet the following conditions:
a) Total duration (credits included) not exceeding 30 minutes
b) Subtitled in Portuguese and/or English, each time there are dialogues in a foreign
3. The CURT’ARRUDA organization may select films for this category without requiring a
V – SELECTED FILMS
1. The selection of the submitted films is made by members of the festival organization.
2. In the event that a submitted film is selected, the following materials will be needed:
a) Film copy
b) Legal authorizations
c) Technical specifications and synopsis
d) List of festivals in which the film participated as well as any awards won
e) 3 high resolution images from the film
f) 1 high resolution photograph of the director(s)
g) Biography of the director(s)
h) All available film promotional materials (poster, trailer, etc.)
3. The copy of the film to be screened must meet the following requirements:
3.1. Film copy on a DVD or Blu-ray projection format or video file that respect common digital
formats such as .mp4, .mov or .avi with h.264 codec.
3.2. All films should be spoken/subtitled in Portuguese.
4. The producer (and/or the owner of the exhibition rights of the film in film-festivals) of films which
have won awards during the festival must mention CURT’ARRUDA in all the film’s publicity and
press/promotion materials produced immediately after the awarding of the prize.
VI – FINAL NOTES
1. CURT’ARRUDA film submission implies total acceptance of the aforementioned conditions. The
non-compliance with any of these conditions will result in the rejection of the submission.
2. For the 7th Edition of the Arruda dos Vinhos Film Festival only, will the films submitted for last
year’s edition be considered, since this competition did not take place. The festival
organization informs all competitors from last year’s edition that in case they are interested in
competing in the present edition, they will be immediately registered and subject to selection.
3. The CURT’ARRUDA organization decides on all other matters not mentioned in this regulation.
Arruda dos Vinhos, March 2020