The Colorado Environmental Film Festival (CEFF) is the premier environmental film festival between the two coasts, annually showcasing the world's best environmental films!
CEFF is a celebration of the power of film to inspire, educate, and motivate audiences to protect and preserve their environment. CEFF presents thought-provoking films and dialogue that raise awareness of a wide variety of interconnected ecological, social, and economic themes. Providing an experience for the audience that goes beyond simply viewing a film, CEFF inspires audiences to act!
*COVID-19 & 2023 FESTIVAL*
CEFF is more committed than ever to sharing powerful films that inspire, educate, and motivate people to protect and preserve the environment. We are in the early stages of planning our 2023 festival and hope to host both in-person events and online virtual screenings.. If circumstances prevent in-person screenings, we will pivot to an all-virtual festival. We will post potential pertinent updates regarding our festival both here and on our website (www.ceff.net/submit) as information becomes available and in the case of policy updates or changes. (Updated June 1, 2022)
ABOUT THE FESTIVAL
Since 2006, the Colorado Environmental Film Festival (CEFF) has been a flourishing part of Colorado’s cultural landscape. Founded by a dedicated and passionate core group of environmentally-minded educators, filmmakers, and supporters, CEFF is Colorado’s first and only international film festival that is hyper-focused on environmental themes. Based in Golden since its inception, CEFF has entertained, enlightened, and educated thousands of festivalgoers over the years with hundreds of original and thought-provoking environmental films originating from around the globe. Each year CEFF carefully juries and presents a new catalog of films from around the world, encompassing a broad mosaic of topics that always reflect CEFF’s cornerstone mission to engage our participants to learn about ways to understand, preserve, and protect the environment.
If selected to screen at the annual festival your film will be considered for one of five unique festival awards available for the following categories:
o Best of Festival
o Best Short Film
o Best Feature Film
o Best Youth Film
o Spirit of Activism
The Colorado Environmental Film Festival (CEFF) is primarily a platform for showcasing the best new environmental films from all over the world. While the Festival does not exclude films with prior screenings, World, US, and Colorado Premiere submissions are strongly encouraged.
• CEFF accepts films in any genre with themes related to the natural and built environment completed within the last 2 calendar years.
• Films with non-English soundtracks must be submitted with embedded subtitles.
• If available, captioning for ALL films is encouraged. If selected, closed caption files will be requested for online screening accessibility (if available) and are highly encouraged.
• Please let us know if shorter versions of your film are available – our audiences appreciate films that convey their storyline in an engaging and concise way.
• Our preferred method of submission is by secure online screener via CEFF’s FilmFreeway account. If unable to submit this way, please contact us.
• A panel of filmmakers, educators, media and conservation professionals chooses the films that are selected by CEFF. The quality of storytelling, production value, aesthetics, topic and being solution-oriented are principle factors in the selection of films for CEFF.
• All officially selected films and solicited materials by CEFF will be programmed into the Festival and will be screened either in-person or online. Most venues will have an admission fee. CEFF will make every effort to screen the majority of selected films in person in addition to virtually.
• CEFF does not provide screening fees or honorariums for submitted work — or for any film screening as part of the festival’s juried competition.
• If accepted, final screening copies must be delivered to CEFF no later than January 13, 2023, or the entry will not be included in the festival. Filmmakers are responsible for any shipping costs to the festival. All copies of the films become CEFF’s property unless otherwise directed.
• We ask that you let us know whether any filmmakers, actors or screenwriters may be available to attend CEFF screenings should your submission be selected for screening. CEFF makes no guarantee regarding travel expenses – we’ll do our best to help and we hope you’ll do your best to join us!
• Official selections will receive two (2) All-Access VIP Festival Passes.
• Your film will be considered for inclusion in the Colorado Environmental Film Fest touring package - CEFF Caravan.
• Entry fees are non-refundable. CEFF may deny acceptance of any film at its sole discretion.
RIGHTS & RELEASES
• By submitting your project, you acknowledge that:
-Your film is not subject to any litigation nor is it threatened by any litigation
-You are duly authorized to have this film be screened at the festival
-You have secured the rights to any and all music and/or footage used in the film
-You will fully indemnify and hold CEFF and its partners and agents completely
harmless from any and all claims whatsoever that may arise as a result of usage of
submitted materials and that you will bear the cost of all reasonable legal fees
incurred as a result of the defense of any such a claim.
• You grant CEFF a non-exclusive, non-transferable, royalty-free right and license to use, copy, and display the film and any submitted publicity materials (including without limitation, graphics/images, trailers and film segments up to 3 minutes) from the film (collectively the "Content") for the purpose of (i) showing the film one or more times over the course of the Festival, and (ii) promoting CEFF on its website, in marketing and promotional materials, and in its social media, and (iii) helping with outreach activities outside of the Festival; and (iv) for archival purposes. Our use of your content in this manner does not grant CEFF any ownership of your copyright or intellectual property.