The Colorado Environmental Film Festival (CEFF) is a celebration of the power of film to inspire, educate, and motivate audiences to protect and preserve their environment. CEFF presents thought-provoking films and dialogue that raise awareness of a wide variety of interconnected ecological, social, and economic themes. Providing an experience for the audience that goes beyond simply viewing a film, CEFF inspires audiences to act!
*Information Regarding COVID-19 and Our 2021 Festival*
During this challenging time of uncertainty, CEFF is more committed than ever to the power of film to inspire, educate, and motivate people to act and make an impact in protecting and preserving their local and global environments. It is essential to continue to provide the opportunity to share important environmental stories of resilience and hope, while keeping everyone as safe as possible. We are excited to announce the temporary one year format for the 2021 Colorado Environmental Film Festival. With an abundance of caution and the intent to allow our filmmakers and audiences to plan accordingly, the Colorado Environmental Film Festival is planning to host the majority of our 2021 Festival with online screenings and other great interactive festival opportunities from February 18-21, 2021. Additionally, we are planning a single day live, in-person event in Golden, Colorado if local government and public health recommendations allow. We are closely monitoring public health and safety recommendations and will adhere to official federal and state mandates. We will post potential pertinent updates regarding our festival both here and on our website (www.ceff.net/submit) as information becomes available and in the case of policy updates or changes. Filmmakers who have already submitted will receive notice of any changes by email directly. We look forward to reviewing your films! (Updated June 1, 2020)
If selected to screen at the annual festival your film will be considered for a unique festival award available for the following categories:
o Best of Festival
o Best Short Film
o Best Feature Film
o Best Youth Film
o Spirit of Activism
The Colorado Environmental Film Festival (CEFF) is primarily a platform for showcasing the best new environmental films. While the Festival does not exclude films with prior screenings, World, US, and Colorado Premiere submissions are strongly encouraged.
• CEFF accepts films in any genre with themes related to the natural and built environment completed within the last 2 calendar years.
• Please let us know if shorter versions of your film are available – our audiences appreciate films that convey their storyline in an engaging and concise way.
• Films with non-English soundtracks must be submitted with embedded subtitles.
• If available, open captioning for all films is encouraged.
• Our preferred method of submission is by secure online screener via CEFF’s FilmFreeway account. If unable to submit this way, please contact us.
• A panel of filmmakers, educators, media and conservation professionals chooses the films that are selected by CEFF. The quality of storytelling, production value, aesthetics, topic and being solution-oriented are principle factors in the selection of films for CEFF.
• All officially selected films and solicited materials by CEFF will be programmed into the Festival and will be screened online with the possible opportunity to screen in public venues if public safety and health allows in February 2021. Most venues will have an admission fee.
• CEFF does not provide screening fees or honorariums for submitted work — or for any film screening as part of the festival’s juried competition.
• If accepted, final screening copies must be delivered to CEFF no later than January 15, 2021, or the entry will not be included in the festival. Filmmakers are responsible for any shipping costs to the festival. All copies of the films become CEFF’s property unless otherwise directed.
• We ask that you let us know whether any filmmakers, actors or screenwriters may be available to attend CEFF screenings should your submission be selected for screening. CEFF makes no guarantee regarding travel expenses – we’ll do our best to help and we hope you’ll do your best to join us!
• Official selections will receive two (2) All-Access VIP Festival Passes.
• Your film will be considered for inclusion in the Colorado Environmental Film Fest touring package - CEFF Caravan.
• Entry fees are non-refundable. CEFF may deny acceptance of any film at its sole discretion.
Rights & Releases:
• By submitting your project, you acknowledge that:
-Your film is not subject to any litigation nor is it threatened by any litigation
-You are duly authorized to have this film be screened at the festival
-You have secured the rights to any and all music and/or footage used in the film
-You will fully indemnify and hold CEFF and its partners and agents completely
harmless from any and all claims whatsoever that may arise as a result of usage of
submitted materials and that you will bear the cost of all reasonable legal fees
incurred as a result of the defense of any such a claim.
• You grant CEFF a non-exclusive, non-transferable, royalty-free right and license to use, copy, and display the film and any submitted publicity materials (including without limitation, graphics/images, trailers and film segments up to 3 minutes) from the film (collectively the "Content") for the purpose of (i) showing the film one or more times over the course of the Festival, and (ii) promoting CEFF on its website, in marketing and promotional materials, and in its social media, and (iii) helping with outreach activities outside of the Festival; and (iv) for archival purposes. Our use of your content in this manner does not grant CEFF any ownership of your copyright or intellectual property.