We believe in the power of cinema in conveying messages to audiences across different cultural backgrounds. Founded by a group of young film professionals in 2018, CineCina Film Festival is dedicated to discovering fresh voices from Chinese cinema. As an integral part of the Festival, Project Horizon provides an opportunity for emerging filmmakers from the Chinese-speaking world to showcase their work.
Short film submissions will be accepted via FilmFreeway from April 20 through July 20. The entry fee will help fund a seasonal staff as well as additional festival operations. To support filmmakers with limited funding, we have set a 10-day window of free submission as well as a discount for student filmmakers. Previous juries include ZHANG Dalei, Jun LI, Simon LIU, Patrick WANG, CHANG Yaosheng, LAU Kek-Huat, Diane QUON, Isabel SANDOVAL, and Ray YEUNG.
*Please read the Rules & Terms section carefully before submitting your film. All entry fees are non-refundable.
Best Narrative Short
Best Documentary Short
Best Experimental Short
Best Animated Short
Special Jury Award
Young Filmmakers Competition:
Special Jury Award
1. CineCina defines a short film as any film with a running time of 40 minutes or less.
2. All films must have been completed after January 1, 2021.
3. Films that have been previously submitted to Project Horizon are ineligible.
4. Films must be subtitled in English (preferably in both Chinese and English).
5. Films must satisfy at least one of the following conditions:
- in Mandarin or a Chinese dialect (e.g. Cantonese, Hokkien, Mongolian, Uyghur, Tibetan, etc.);
- at least one Chinese-identifying artist in a major key creative role (behind the camera and/or on-screen);
- focuses on Chinese history, Chinese culture, Chinese society, or Chinese way of life.
1. All rights, permissions, and clearances must be obtained prior to submission and applicants must ensure that they have the right to submit the work.
2. Submitted films must be entirely original. Any plagiarism will result in disqualification.
3. Only the first submitted version will be considered. If there are significant changes (e.g. sound, editing, subtitling), please contact us prior to the standard deadline.
4. Submissions cannot be withdrawn after the official selection announcement.
5. CineCina Film Festival is authorized to screen selected films at least once in New York and use relevant materials for promotional purposes.
6. Applicants acknowledge that CineCina reserves the right to change the nature of screenings and events due to circumstances related to public health and welfare or at the direction of local, state, or federal authorities. In such cases no submission refunds shall be issued.