Medrar for Contemporary Art is launching its open call for the 10th edition of Cairo Video Festival, which will be held in October 2021. The festival continues its focus on providing a platform for sharing and discussing newly produced video art and experimental film. Based on our experience in the previous edition, the 10th edition will continue to focus on expanding its non-conventional venues. Programs will be screened among venues scattered around the city, in addition to theatre screenings and exhibitions to promote, expand and harvest attention to the practice.
The 10th edition of the Cairo Video Festival comes to culminate the many steps and stages that represent our experiences with video art and experimental film, and also summarizes our recurrent inquiries about the relationship between the arts and the reality we live in, the current events and our eagerness to experiment and to add new and different values with each edition. It is an opportunity that we yearn for with every edition to enjoy witnessing all these innovations, experiences and new concepts from around the world, and to share them with the public.
We are now launching an open call for submission to all video artists and experimental filmmakers from various technical fields. We also encourage designers and developers who work in the fields of virtual reality, animation, interactive softwares, and artistic games via the Internet, computers or smartphones to respond to the call. Likewise, those who emphasize the use of the moving image in their installations or live performances. Curators and institutions involved in the production and distribution of video art and experimental film are also encouraged to submit their programs. The festival program takes the format of a series of showcases, accompanied by talks and discussions with active video-makers and curators to tackle some of the key themes and issues addressed in the works.
Check out the previous edition
Guidelines and conditions
- Individuals, groups, curators or associations are invited to participate.
- The number of entries by one author is limited to two works. Please note that you must submit a separate application form for each work submission.
- Feature films, documentary or commercial videos are not accepted.
- The work should be produced after January 2019, and should be no longer than 30 minutes of duration.
- Attach 3 high resolution video stills for each submitted work.
- All moving image works under the categories of video art and experimental film, including new media art like interactive video, VR, CGI, etc. are accepted.
- The festival team and committee will make the selection of the 10th edition program.
- All applicants will be notified of the status of their applications via email in June 2021. The organizing crew has the right to use the participants’ data in any relevant publications and - PR materials and for promotional purposes, with reserved copyrights.
- All works submitted will be included in the festival’s video archive, and maybe screened for retrospective research and/or educational (in no case commercial) purposes in the various screenings. Medrar will not screen any works to the public, give, sell or rent copies to other institutions or private persons interested without written consent by the producer of the video.
- Videos with narration in languages other than English and Arabic should have English or Arabic subtitles
- Videos missing the festival application form or sent by snail mail will not be regarded for entry
- The submission of the application form designates the acceptance of the terms and conditions of participation in the 10th Cairo Video Festival, and a declaration that the applicant holds all rights to the submitted material or has the permission of the legal owner of the rights to the submitted material (pictures, sounds, texts)