Blue Draft Screenwriting Contest is an annual event dedicated to discovering new screenwriting talent from around the world and providing them with the opportunity to see their projects come to fruition. Selected short films and short digital series scripts will be developed to completion by a team of professional filmmakers and pitched for distribution to major players in the industry.
* EVERY SCRIPT SUBMITTED WILL GET A ONE-PAGE WRITTEN FEEDBACK.
One Short Film and one Short Digital Series will be awarded a production deal with Blue Draft, who will partner with the writers to fully produce their film and series and work alongside prospective distributors to find the best way to connect the finished projects with an audience.
We are looking to help writers with an original voice bring their ideas out of the page and into the screen, so writers from all countries and nationalities are welcome to submit. Writers with a diverse background are strongly encouraged to apply. All scripts must be in English. All web series should consist of eight to ten episodes, each with a length of eight to twelve minutes. All short films should be no longer than 15 minutes. The contest is open to those who are eighteen years of age or older as of Jan 1, 2020.
Submission and Notification Deadlines:
February 1 - June 30: Early Bird Registration.
July 1 - September 30: Regular Registration.
October 1 - November 30: Late Registration.
January 1: Notification Date - Phase 1 Digital Series.
January 15: Notification Date - Short Film Contest Winners.
January 31: Phase 2 deadline.
February 15: Notification Date - Digital Series Contest Winners.
General Submission Guidelines:
- All contest submission must be an original creation.
- Scripts must be written in English.
- Eligible scripts must be new and never produced or distributed before, in any format.
- Scripts should be formatted at size 12 Courier and be uploaded in .pdf (preferred), .doc or .txt format. Make sure the number of pages in your scripts reflects your category's specs.
- If a script is optioned or purchased during the competition it will no longer be eligible for the awards. Entry fees will not be refunded. The script must be the writers original work and they must own all copyright.
Please include the following elements within your submission:
Short Film Submissions:
- A full script of your film.
- A short bio.
- A one page document describing your motivations and inspirations for writing your script.
Digital Short Series Submissions:
- A short bio.
- The script for the pilot episode.
- A two page pitch of your series, giving us a brief description of the general plot, characters and your motivations to write this script.
-Complete series script. We are looking for scripts that can stand as limited, one-season only series.
Digital Series Finalists:
Digital Series Finalists will be notified of their acceptance into the next phase of the contest on January 1st and will have 30 days to finish the remaining episodes of the full first season of the show. At any point during that time, finalists are entitled to request a 1-hour conference call with the Blue Draft team to receive general feedback and orientation on the progress of their script. Times and dates for that meeting are scheduled according to Blue Draft team's availability but we will do our best to find a time that is convenient to finalists.