The Bethesda Arts & Entertainment District invites filmmakers to submit recent, original work for the 7th annual Bethesda Film Fest, set for Friday, April 5 and Saturday, April 6, 2019 at Imagination Stage in Bethesda, MD.
Short (5-30 minutes), documentary films by filmmakers from Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C. will be considered. Films must have been completed within the last two years. All topics are eligible. Filmmakers chosen for the 2018 festival are not eligible and may submit again for the 2020 festival.
Filmmakers are required to attend the film festival screenings and speak about their work.
Up to five films will be selected to be shown. A film by a young filmmaker, under age 18, may also be chosen. Filmmakers whose films are selected will receive an honorarium of $1,000. Young filmmakers will receive $250.
- Carletta S. Hurt, Producer at IKAM Productions and Immediate Past President of Women In Film and Video
- Allen Moore, Professor at MICA and independent filmmaker
- Tina Morton, Associate Professor at Howard University and filmmaker
- Filmmakers must be current, permanent residents of Maryland, Virginia or Washington, D.C.
- Films must be between 5 and 30 minutes in length.
- Films must have been completed within the last two years.
- Filmmakers may only submit one film for consideration.
- Filmmakers chosen for the 2018 festival are not eligible; they may submit again for the 2020 festival.
- Films with non-English dialogue must be submitted with English subtitles.
- DEADLINE: All entries must be received by January 11, 2019.
- There is a $25 entry fee. Filmmakers under the age of 18 have a $20 entry fee.
Notification of the selection panel's decision will be sent in February 2019. The selection panel will choose up to five documentaries to screen at the Bethesda Film Fest.