The Bethesda Arts & Entertainment District invites filmmakers to submit recent, original work for the 8th annual Bethesda Film Fest, set for Friday, March 27 and Saturday, March 28, 2020 at Imagination Stage in Bethesda, MD.
Short (5-30 minutes), documentary films by filmmakers from Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C. will be considered. Films must have been completed within the last two years. All topics are eligible. Filmmakers chosen for the 2019 festival are not eligible and may submit again for the 2021 festival.
Filmmakers are required to attend the film festival screenings and speak about their work.
Up to five films will be selected to be shown. A film by a young filmmaker, under age 18, may also be chosen. Filmmakers whose films are selected will receive an honorarium of $1,000. Young filmmakers will receive $250.
- Monica Lee Bellais, screenwriter/producer and global media expert
- Cucillo Consad, award winning cinematographer and editor
- Ben Crosbie, producer, director of photography and co-founder of Eidolon Films
- Filmmakers must be current, permanent residents of Maryland, Virginia or Washington, D.C.
- Films must be between 5 and 30 minutes in length.
- Films must have been completed within the last two years.
- Filmmakers may only submit one film for consideration.
- Filmmakers chosen for the 2019 festival are not eligible; they may submit again for the 2021 festival.
- Films with non-English dialogue must be submitted with English subtitles.
- DEADLINE: All entries must be received by January 6, 2020.
- There is a $25 entry fee. Filmmakers under the age of 18 do not pay an entry fee.
Notification of the selection panel's decision will be sent in February 2020. The selection panel will choose up to five documentaries to screen at the Bethesda Film Fest.