The aim of BIFF is to promote the growth and exposure of independent film and arts in the lower RGV, while increasing awareness of the RGV’s history and culture. We aim to aid the revitalization of Brownsville to build a better tomorrow for all RGV residents and community members.
What is BIFF?
The Brownsville International Film Festival, or BIFF for short, is a collaborative project bringing filmmakers, artists, musicians, film buffs, and students together to promote film and arts in the lower Rio Grande Valley (RGV). The festival is the brain child of an eclectic group of individuals motivated to bring attention to film, film history, music, and arts in Brownsville, Texas.
BIFF is a small, independent festival that will offer free submissions to filmmakers and free admission to the general public to increase access to the independent works showcased. We, the BIFF Co-Directors (a.k.a. ‘BIFF Bosses’), have partnered with local businesses and projects to bring attention to the revitalization of downtown Brownsville, which has a storied history with the film industry.
2017 marks BIFF’s 2nd year and we are excited to announce that the festival will be held on Saturday November 18th. So come join us for a night filled with film, music, and art from all around the Rio Grande Valley, Texas, US, and Mexico.
General Festival Terms and Conditions
1. In NO EVENT shall BIFF be liable to any participants, or any other person or entity for any personal injury or damages to property, damages for loss of business profits or other pecuniary loss, including any direct, consequential, incidental, special, punitive or similar damages, arising out of any participant’s use of the registration, credentials and/or participation in the events, even if BIFF has been advised of the possibility of such damages.
2. Except as may be expressly set forth in these terms, participant’s participation in the events, and all services and products provided in connection with the events, are provided “as is” without any warranty of any kind, and no other warranties, whether express, implied or otherwise, are made with respect to the same, including any implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose or safety, or any warranties that may arise from course of dealing. BIFF expressly disclaims any warranties not expressly stated herein.
3. Each Participant agrees to indemnify, defend, and hold BIFF and its officers, volunteers, and representatives harmless from and against any and all claims, demands and all other liabilities, including, but not limited to, costs and attorneys’ fees, made by any third party arising out of or in connection with each Participant’s use of the registration(s) or Credentials, or any Participant’s violation of the Terms.
4. The Terms will be governed by the laws of the State of Texas, without regard to its principles of conflicts of laws. Each Participant and BIFF hereby irrevocably submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the United States federal and state courts located in Brownsville, Texas and agrees that any such court will be the proper forum for the determination of any dispute arising hereunder.
6. BIFF reserves the right to make changes to the Terms at any time without notice to each Participant, so please check back and review the Terms from time to time. In the event that any term or provision of the Terms shall be deemed invalid, illegal or unenforceable in any respect, such term or provision shall be deemed severable and shall not affect the validity and enforceability of any remaining term or provision.
7. Photographs and/or audio/video recordings taken at the Events by BIFF, or others on behalf of BIFF, may include a Participant’s image, name, voice and/or likeness. By attending and/or participating in the Events, each Participant hereby grants BIFF permission to use the Participant’s photograph, image, likeness, voice and statements for any purpose, including but not limited to commercial purposes, without compensation or credit to the Participant, in any and all media now known or hereafter devised.
General Festival Rules
1. Film submissions must be completed through Filmfreeway.com. All films submitted will be privately screened by a panel of judges chosen by BIFF Bosses prior to the event. The top picks for each category will be chosen by BIFF Bosses and those filmmakers whose work will be showcased will be notified by October 17th.
2. BIFF is an independently run event. All awarded films will receive local recognition but should not interfere with submission terms and conditions of larger festivals.
3. Recent films since 2014 will be preferentially chosen.
4. We strongly encourage filmmakers to submit short films as well as long films, but short films will be preferentially chosen.
5. Filmmakers must submit to the desired category for their film.
6. All submitted films MUST BE THE ORIGINAL work of the director or producer involved.
7. To be considered all films must be submitted following instructions on the website bifftx.com.
8. Highly explicit content will not be chosen for screening.
9. Fully animated films may be submitted in any category other than documentary.
10. Films may be submitted from around the world as BIFF is international.
11. When submitting a film, we will require the name and description of the film, the date of completion, and the contact information for the film director(s).