In 2022 Arquiteturas Film Festival moves to the city of Porto, after 8 editions in Lisbon. The festival takes place between 27 September and 1 October.
We would like to invite filmmakers and distributors to submit film projects related to this year's theme - Slow Down! They may be short films, feature films, documentaries, animations or experimental films - all formats are welcome. The Call for Entries is open until 30 June 2022.
This year's edition addresses spatial practices that convey the idea of 'reduction', even if it entails demolishing, reducing, reusing or subtracting architecture. Our interest lies in seeing, hearing and debating about socially and environmentally just practices that involve a reciprocal relationship between human activity and the natural world.
Arquiteturas Film Festival is the only international film festival in Portugal to screen documentary, experimental, animation and fiction films where architecture plays the main role. The festival focuses on the growing global interest in interdisciplinary approaches to contemporary architecture. It uses the power of moving images as a tool for broadening public understanding and appreciation of architecture.
Arquiteturas Film Festival awards are attributed to the directors in the following categories:
• Award for the best documentary film
• Award for best fiction film
• Award for the best experimental film.
• Award for the best first film, including students.
• New award for films engaged with architectural, urban and social causes.
• Award for the best film according to the audience.
Arquiteturas Film Festival - 9th edition - Slow Down!
Following the past themes of the festival that have tackled contemporary issues concerning the built environment, we will continue hosting an open forum for discussion, by means of personal, collective and global audiovisual stories from all corners of the world.
For the 9th edition, we would like to invite filmmakers and distributors to submit their film projects which are related with the festival’s theme: ‘Slow Down!’. This year's edition addresses spatial practices that convey the idea of 'reduction', even if it entails demolishing, reducing, reusing or subtracting architecture. Our interest lies in seeing, hearing and debating about socially and environmentally just practices that involve a reciprocal relationship between human activity and the natural world.
It can be a short or long film, fiction or a documentary as well as experimental or animated films - all formats are welcome.
The Call for Entries is open until 30 June 2022. The submissions should include a secure online screener, a synopsis, high-resolution stills and short information on the production and team.
Selection Committee: Sofia Mourato, Vasco Mendes, Sara Nunes and Andreia Garcia.
Selected films will be contacted by 15th July 2022. The programme and the jury will be announced in early September 2022.
1. Arquiteturas Film Festival – 9th edition – will take place in Porto from 27th September to 1st October 2022.
2. Arquiteturas is the only international film festival in Portugal to screen documentary, experimental, animation and fiction films where architecture plays the main role. We are particularly interested in the growing global interest in interdisciplinary approaches to contemporary architecture. We are looking for proposals that use the power of moving images as a tool for broadening public understanding and appreciation of architecture, as well as the permanent dialogue between city, space, and narrative.
3. The Selection Committee is looking for films with cinematographic qualities bringing forth, as a whole, the point of view of their authors.
4. For the first time, the festival will comprise a ‘social awareness’ award, given to films engaged with architectural, urban and social causes.
5. The deadline for entries is 23h59 CET, 30th June 2022.
6. Only entries that include the sending of the film and a duly filled application form will be accepted.
7. HOW TO ENTER A FILM:
Arquiteturas shall receive up to the 30th June 2022:
• A version of the film with English subtitles, exception to be made to English spoken films.
• Films shall be sent through FilmFreeway and the download permission must be activated.
As an alternative, after submitting the film at FilmFreeway a Vimeo link can be sent to: email@example.com
• There is a 3€ submission fee.
8. The version of the films to be used for the selection process will not be deleted. They will become part of the archive of Arquiteturas Film Festival, where the associates may consult them. For any kind of public projection, permission from the rights’ owners will be required.
9. The selection committee will decide the category in which the film will be programmed. The festival is responsible for the selection of the films that compose the entire programme.
10. Short and feature-length films can compete with the following projection formats:
HD file 1920x1080 H264 ACC or DCP.
All films must have English subtitles.
Portuguese spoken films should also have English subtitles.
Translation by voice over is not acceptable.
11. Arquiteturas Film Festival has five competitive categories:
a) Documentary Category:
• Feature films – films over 50 minutes
• Short films – films up to 49 minutes
b) Fiction Category:
• Feature-length films – films over 50 minutes
• Short films – films up to 49 minutes
c) New Talent Competition – open to first films signed by a director developed both in professional or in academic context.
d) Social Awareness Award - the jury will choose from all submissions, the film that best engages with architectural, urban and social causes.
e) Audience award - to be voted by the public, during the festival
12. Only films concluded after the 1st January 2021 are eligible for the competitive categories.
13. In case the film is selected, Arquiteturas Film Festival will inform the participant up to one month prior to the opening of the festival. After the participant has been informed about the selection of the film, it must not be shown in Portugal until it is screened at Arquiteturas. The festival will also inform the entries that were not selected for up to one month prior to the initial date of the festival.
14. Participants declare that the film submitted is their own and that its public screening rights have not been transferred to third parties.
15. Immediately after being confirmed the selection, you should send by email (only if the following wasn’t yet uploaded on FFW):
• Two photos stills from the film (minimum resolution: 300 dpi – 10x10cm) in a digital format
• Link to the film trailer (Vimeo or Youtube is preferred)
• Bio filmography of the director
• Final Synopsis for the online program and catalog (max.450 characters) in English. For Portuguese submitted films the synopsis must be sent in English and Portuguese.
• Previous Festivals and Awards.
16. Until 15th of August 2022, the copy of the selected film (in the right screening format), as well as posters, postcards, and promotional materials, should be sent to INSTITUTO headquarters, in Porto (organizer of Arquiteturas Film Festival)
Arquiteturas Film Festival
Rua dos Clérigos, 44 R/C
17. In the case of films from non-EU countries sent by a courier (Fedex, DHL, UPS) the film must be accompanied by a pro-forma invoice with the sender’s name, the film title, weight, measurements and/or a number of reels. If sent by normal postal service the envelope or box must state – Produto cultural. Sem valor comercial. (Cultural Product. Without Commercial Value).
18. All the texts, data and photos sent by participants to Arquiteturas Film Festival will be used for reference in various online and offline bilingual publications (including Festival catalog, Website, video library screens). This material may be translated, corrected or edited prior to publication. By submitting a film, all participants give Arquiteturas Film Festival free permission to publish this material for the above purposes.
19. The costs related to sending the copy to Portugal will be borne by the participant. The costs of clearing the film through customs in Portugal, as well as the costs associated with returning the films to their country of origin, will be borne by the festival. In the latter situation, any customs duties in the country of origin will be borne by the participants.
20. After receiving the copies of the films, the festival is responsible for them until they are sent back.
21. All films screened during the festival must remain there until its ending and will be returned only after the closing ceremony of the festival.
22. The competition juries will comprise nationally and internationally renowned Portuguese and foreign personalities from the architectural and cultural world.
23. Arquiteturas Film Festival awards are attributed to the directors.
• Award to the best documentary film
• Award to the best fiction film
• Award for best first film.
• New award to the films engaged with architectural, urban and social causes.
• Award to the best film according to the audience.
25. The decisions of the jury are final.
26. After the film has been selected, the festival may use a fragment of three minutes length of the film for the promotion of the festival on TV, radio, internet, as well as the publicity material of the film (press kit, posters, postcards, etc.) for promotion purposes also.
27. Arquiteturas Film Festival guests are not covered by the insurance of the festival.
28. The producer of a film that is awarded a prize at Arquiteturas Film Festival will undertake to mention the AFF prize in all promotional materials for the film and in the film credits of all copies that are produced after the festival dates.
29. All entries of films made to Arquiteturas Film Festival presuppose knowledge of and acceptance of these regulations. Participation in the Festival implies acceptance without reservation of all the terms outlined in the present regulations and the reception of a filled and signed submission form. AFF reserves the right to cancel any submission or take any suitable measure in the event of a breach of regulations.
30. The festival board will decide upon all matters that are not covered by these regulations in accordance with the international rules of film festivals.
For any question please contact: