Set in magical Dingle, on the most westerly peninsula of Europe, Animation Dingle, in partnership with JAM Media, is now in its 8th year and celebrates student creativity and excellence in Irish and International animation.
The festival has been listed by Animation Magazine in their TOP 25 EVENTS IN THE WORLD NOT-TO-BE-MISSED!
The festival was created for students, has been moulded by them, and is composed of three parts—Conference, Screenings and Awards.
"Animation Dingle serves as a reminder to focus on what's most important in fostering creativity - growing and cultivating students' imagination. Ireland has become a force in animation and Dingle is the perfect place to celebrate this emergence as you breathe in the fresh air and soak up the sights of this stunning seaside town." Tara Sorensen, Creative Development, Children's at Apple
"The Animation Dingle Festival is an incubator for the industry and we look forward to seeing the entries from this rich pool of talent." David Levine, Disney Channels UK & Ireland
"Looking out to one of the world's most beautiful places I think how blessed and lucky I am to be invited to what I regard in many ways as the future of what I think our industry will be." Tim Patterson, Nickelodeon
“The best festival I’ve ever attended!” Jackie Edwards, Head of BBC Children’s Animation.
The festival is home to the Murakami Award for animation and recipients have included: Jimmy T. Murakami (The Snowman), Richie Baneham (Avatar), Tomm Moore (Song of the Sea), Don Bluth and Gary Goldman for their legacy, Aidan Hickey, Cathal Gaffney and Darragh O’Connell of Brown Bag Films and Nora Twomey (The Breadwinner).
Animation Dingle has seen presentations from Disney, Amazon Studios, Nickelodeon, Apple, NetFlix, Pixar, Aardman Animations, Milkshake, Channel 5, Walker Books, Penguin, Scholastic, RTÉ, CBBC, Screen Ireland, Cartoon Saloon, JAM Media, Brown Bag Films, Kavaleer, Boulder Media, Treehouse Republic, Giant, Gorilla, Egg Post Production, Telegael, Salty Dog Pictures, Pink Kong Studios, Geronimo, Milkcow Media, Darrall Macqueen.
Animation Dingle 2020 Animation Conference will host keynotes and panels from world leaders in animation.
The festival showcases and recognises the best of student animated film with our Student Animation Awards, as well as screening a programme of animation from Ireland and around the globe.
The festival's many events include - masterclasses, workshops, a portfolio pitching session, The Big Pitcher, YAOTY (Young Animator of the Year), Sketch Day Trail, and much more. Please see www.animationdingle.com for details closer to the time.
Special guests have included; Bobby Podesta, Supervising Animator at Pixar Animation Studios
Bonnie Arnold, Producer
Nora Twomey, Co-founder and Creative Director of Cartoon Saloon
Tara Sorensen, Head of Kids Programming, Amazon Studios
Bob Peterson, Pixar
Peter Lord, Aardman Animations (Chicken Run, Early Man)
Dean DeBlois, DreamWorks (How To Train Your Dragon)
Russell Hicks, Nickelodeon
Orion Ross, Vice President, Content - Animation, Digital & Acquisitions Disney Channels EMEA
David Levine, VP, Programming, Production and Strategic Development, Disney Channels EMEA
Oscar winners Richie Baneham (Avatar) and Patrick Osborne (Feast)
Oscar nominated Tomm Moore (Song of The Sea)
Dan Katcher (Game of Thrones - Dragon designer)
Ryan Woodward (Iron Man, The Avengers)
Jimmy T. Murakami (The Snowman)
David Morehead (Head of Layout on Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse)
Keith Sintay, senior animator (The Last Jedi, Solo: A Star Wars story
Matthias Lechner Art Director of Environments (Ralph Breaks The Internet, Zootopia)
Wouter Tulp Character Designer with Sony Pictures Animation
Cécile Blondel, Gobelins of Paris
Christian De Vita (Fantastic Mr. Fox)
Animation Student Awards
Animation Dingle will select a number of animated short films from our submissions and exhibit the work in our unique venues throughout the festival.
The festival hosts our Animation Student Awards ceremony at the festival. On the night, our special guests to the festival present the awards to the winning students.
A representative of award nominated films will be invited to attend the awards ceremony.
Animators of selected films screening at the festival will be offered a special rate to attend the overall festival.
International and Irish Categories of awards include:
Best International Student Animation Award
Irish Categories of awards include:
Best Irish Student Animation Award
Best Design/Art Direction
Best Music/Sound Design
Best Character Animation
Best Combined Animation
Other Awards at Animation Dingle are as follows:
The Murakami Award
Recipients of this prestigious award have included Jimmy T. Murakami, Richie Baneham, Tomm Moore, Gary Goldman & Don Bluth, Aidan Hickey, Darragh O' Connell & Cathal Gaffney (Brown Bag Films), Nora Twomey (Cartoon Saloon).
Inaugural Best Irish Animated Short Award
Professional entries via FilmFreeway from Ireland and N. Ireland considered in this category.
Inaugural Best Sting Award
Student's entries received from colleges
YAOTY (Young Animator Of The Year Award)
Open to Irish 4th, 5th and 6th year secondary students and students in Yr 11, Yr 12 and 6th Form in Northern Ireland.
See YAOTY on FilmFreeway for further information and how to enter.
The Big Pitcher
The winner receives a 6 month internship with JAM Media. For further information please see www.animationdingle.com closer to the time.
We welcome short and feature films to the festival.
We are open to all genres of animated film
Student Animated Films
Not in Competition, but eligible to enter the festival:
Animated Feature films
Animated Short Films from international and Irish professionals
Accepted Screening Formats:
• For feature films screening in The Phoenix Cinema: DCP only
• For short and feature films screening in St. James’ Church or Beehive Theatre: a QUICKTIME compatible file with preference for the higher quality ProRes codecs.
• We will not screen on DVD
• Submissions with unpaid fees will not be considered for selection.
Final deadline for all submissions is 4pm Friday 1st November 2019.
Films submitted after the deadline will not be considered.
• You will receive an email by 15th November 2019 notifying you if your film has been accepted to the festival.
• Should you be successful, we will need a high res image. We may use an image from your film or a trailer or clip to promote the festival. This may include: television, radio, our website or social media.
• As a selected filmmaker you are responsible for ensuring the safe delivery of your film to the festival and all costs relating to it. We will return the film to you after the festival. If you are attending the festival you can arrange to pick up your film after its screening. We can forward your film to another festival after its screening at Animation Dingle by prior arrangement only.
• We will let you know when to send the film to us.
• Please note you will receive an email from FilmFreeway to acknowledge receipt of entries.
• All foreign language entries must provide English subtitles
Other Rules of entry
• Runtime for a Feature: minimum 50 minutes
• Runtime for a Short: under 30 minutes
• Completion Date: only Projects completed after January 1, 2019 will be considered
• Submissions may originate from anywhere in the world, however, all non-English speaking films must have English subtitles
• Films available publicly online will not be accepted. Any film that has been previously broadcast (television or video-on-demand) in Ireland shall have less priority in being programmed for the festival
• Projects may have distribution status
• Animation Dingle does not pay screening fees
• The selection and scheduling of films screened at the festival is entirely at the discretion of the Festival Director
• No cuts or changes in any film will be made by Animation Dingle for any reason
• Due to the large amount of submissions received Animation Dingle cannot enter into any discussion regarding films that are not selected for the festival
• Animation Dingle does not accept any responsibility for damage to prints or hard drives
• By applying to Animation Dingle you accept the above rules of entry