ASIFA created the International Animation Day (IAD) in 2002, honoring the birth of animation, recognized as the first public performance of projected moving images: Emile Reynaud’s Theatre Optique in Paris, on the 28th October 1892.
ASIFA coordinates and helps promote IAD celebrations all over the world, putting the art of animation in the limelight in a global worldwide celebration of animation. In recent years, this unique event has been commemorated in more than 50 countries, on every continent of the world.
1. International Animation Day submissions are reserved for members and associates of the Association Internationale du Film d’Animation (ASIFA)
2. There is no cost for submission
3. Contact your countries coordinator for submission password
4. Showings will happen Country by Country at events organized by the local coordinator. Filmmakers submitting agree to allow showings of their work without compensation in the spirit of sharing their work in celebration of International Animation Day.
5. Events will happen within the Months of October, November, or December with an emphasis on October 28th. Any showings beyond these dates need to be requested by the local coordinator of the filmmaker.
6. Films will not be archived or shown out of events surrounding International Animation Day without the expressed permission of the filmmaker.