The 8th edition of the Almeria Western Film Festival (AWFF), which will take place between October 09th and 13th 2018, is organized by the Town Council of Tabernas and has the following objectives:
- To become one of the main reference points for the western film genre at an international level.
- The dissemination and promotion of western films that contribute to the knowledge of world cinematography.
- To give visibility to audiovisual works that do not make up part of mainstream cinema.
- To appreciate a 60-year-old heritage which has inspired masterpieces of all genres, set many standards of film language and promoted the present and the future of the audiovisual industry, as well as its impact on the local economy.
The festival will have, among its various activities, three film competition sections that will offer a panoramic view of current western films at both the national and international level:
• FULL-LENGTH WESTERN FILMS OFFICIAL SECTION: COMPETITIVE AND INTERNATIONAL CHARACTER
National and international full-length films (from 60 minutes) produced after 1st January 2017. The films can have premiered in other festivals prior to the AWFF, however the selection committee appreciates films that premiere for the first time in Spain and, particularly, at the AWFF festival. This section is competitive and will feature between five and eight full-length films. In addition, another full-length film, already released in cinemas, will be included in the program and will be the opening film; however, it will not be eligible for the judges’ prizes (although it may be considered for the Audience Award).
1) AWARD FOR THE BEST FULL-LENGTH WESTERN FILM 2018
AWFF Award 2018: it will be awarded by the Jury of the Official Section of full-length films to the best full-length fiction work.
Note: if the number of films presented makes it possible to choose among different types of western genres, we reserve the right to give two different awards: “Award for the best western” and “Award for the best neo-western”.
2) AWARD FOR TECHNICAL-ARTISTIC CONTRIBUTION TO THE WESTERN GENRE
AWFF Award 2018: It will be awarded by the Jury of the Official Section of Full-lengths Films to a professional who has contributed to the spread and renovation of the international western genre: scriptwriter, film director, art director, production designer, director of photography, sound engineer, composer, head of wardrobe, head of make-up and costumes, visual effects, etc.
3) AWARD FOR THE BEST PERFORMANCE
AWFF Award 2018, awarded by the Jury of the Official Section of Full-length Films to an actor or actress who has played the principal role or a minor role in one of the films taking part in competition.
4) AUDIENCE AWARD FOR THE BEST FULL-LENGTH WESTERN FILM
AWFF Award 2018, awarded by the audience members who have attended all of the film screenings of the Official Section, including the opening film, which cannot opt for the Jury Awards.
• SHORT WESTERN FILMS OFFICIAL SECTIONS: COMPETITIVE AND INTERNATIONAL CHARACTER
Films of Spanish origin and foreign films with a maximum duration of 20 minutes (including film credits) and a premiere date after January 1st, 2017. The selection committee appreciates films debuted for the first time in Spain and, particularly, at the AWFF. This section is competitive and will feature between ten and twenty professional short films.
1) AWARD FOR THE BEST WESTERN SHORT FILM
AWFF Award 2018, awarded by the Jury of the Official Section of Short Films to the best fictional short film.
2) AWARD FOR THE BEST NEO-WESTERN SHORT FILM
The awards for each section of the competition will include:
- A trophy designed with the logo of the festival that includes an engraved text at the base referencing the award.
- A prize valued economically, in collaboration with entities and partner agencies collaborating with the festival.
- Cash prizes are not included.
The decision of the Jury will not be subject to appeal.
Personal data will be treated in accordance with the current legislation (Ley orgánica 15/1999).
To register, it is compulsory to fill out the attached form: ATTACHMENT I: REGISTRATION FORM (SEE THE EXAMPLE AT THE END OF THE DOCUMENT)
The AWFF 2018, like in the previous editions, will take special care to select films in both the full-length and in the short film sections and ensure the inclusion of Spanish films, European films and Ibero-American films, as well as national and international premieres.
A Committee will evaluate all of the works registered and will select the finalists between July 15th and 31st 2018. Decisions made by the selection committee will not be subject to appeal.
The festival’s organizing team will communicate the selection of the finalists to the producers of the works and/or their representatives between August 1st and 15th 2018. The representatives are committed to keeping the selection of finalists confidential until the festival publishes the official sections on its website and other media outlets. The estimated date for the publication of the finalists is between September 1st and 10th 2018.
1) OTHER REQUIREMENTS FOR WORKS PARTICIPATION
The films registered to participate in the AWFF 2018 must fulfill, in addition to all the above, the following conditions:
- The formats of the copies must be adapted to the technical requirements for each section of the festival, preferably to the AVI file format. Those works that do not take into account the technical specifications required to be publicly screened may be rejected.
- The participants pledge not to remove the works from the official section once they have been selected and the producers and/or representatives have been notified. In any case, the deadline to waive participation in the festival will be August 15th, 2018.
- Once the selection of works for the competition sections have been finalized, the participants will have 15 calendar days –between August 16th and 31st 2018- to send the screening copies through a download link to the following email addresses:
The participants can also send the screening copies by regular mail to the following address:
Excmo. Ayuntamiento de Tabernas
Calle Mirlo, 1
04200 Tabernas (Almería) SPAIN
The festival reserves the right to remove from competition any works not received within the established period.
- The copies can be screened in original version with subtitles in Spanish or English –for Spanish-language films- or films dubbed in Spanish. The participants must provide the subtitles of the works, including them in an audio file when they send the screening copies.
- Likewise, the participants must send a ZIP file folder with the advertising material for the selected work between August 16th and 31st 2018: film poster, three advertising pictures in high resolution, list of credits, synopsis in Spanish and English (maximum 3 lines), age category, a photograph and the biography of the director (maximum 5 lines). This file folder must be sent to the following email:
- The invitation for each film selected by the festival is strictly confidential between the organization (Town Council of Tabernas), the team in charge of the management of the festival and the producers or representatives of the film invited until the festival decides to announce it officially.
2) FILMS SELECTED FOR COMPETITION
In the second phase, the full-length and short films selected by the evaluation committee should be sent to the festival before 23:59 on Friday, August 31st, 2018, along with the corresponding promotional materials. All materials must include a press-book and a download link, as established in part 04 of this official announcement, and must be sent in digital format to these email addresses:
The online distribution of the materials will be done through the area reserved for the media on the official web site of the festival:
Likewise, you should send at least two printed posters to the postal address of the festival:
Excmo. Ayuntamiento de Tabernas
Calle Mirlo, 1
Código postal: 4200 Tabernas (Almería) España
The Organization of the Almeria Western Film Festival will establish the order and the date of screening for each film. Once the participation of the film has been confirmed, it cannot be withdrawn from the festival.