AFI FEST 2024 is scheduled for October 23-27 with in-person screenings and events in Los Angeles, CA showcasing transformative stories from groundbreaking artists. AFI FEST is the longest-running international film festival in Los Angeles.
AFI FEST presents the year's most significant films. Kicking off the awards season each fall, AFI FEST offers a crucial avenue of exposure to the entertainment community. Featuring international work from emerging filmmakers, global showcases of films from the great masters, tributes and red-carpet gala premieres, AFI FEST brings the very best of world cinema to the city of Los Angeles, the film capital of the world. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences recognizes AFI FEST as a qualifying festival for the Short Films category of the annual Academy Awards. AFI FEST is also a BIFA and BAFTA qualifying festival for Short Films.
In 2023, AFI FEST presented more than 140 films from 49 countries, with 43% directed by women, 36% directed by BIPOC filmmakers and 17% directed by LGBTQIA+ filmmakers. Program highlights from AFI FEST 2023 included screenings of 20 Best International Oscar® Submissions and ALL OF US STRANGERS, AMERICAN FICTION, THE BIKERIDERS, FINGERNAILS, MEMORY and PEE-WEE’S BIG ADVENTURE introduced by Guest Artistic Director Greta Gerwig. The festival opened with the World Premiere of the apocalyptic thriller LEAVE THE WORLD BEHIND, written and directed by Sam Esmail (AFI Class of 2004), and closed with Bradley Cooper’s MAESTRO, with cinematography by Oscar® nominee Matthew Libatique (AFI Class of 1992) and produced by AFI Life Achievement Award recipients Martin Scorsese and Steven Spielberg.
AFI FEST winners have consistently been nominated for Academy Awards®, Emmy Awards® and other major recognitions.
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences recognizes AFI FEST as a qualifying festival for the Short Films category of the annual Academy Awards.
The Grand Jury Award winners for Live Action, Documentary, and Animated Short will be eligible for the Best Live Action Short, Best Documentary Short, and Best Animated Short Academy Awards® sections.
AFI FEST is also a BAFTA and BIFA qualifying festival for the British Short Film category.
*AFI FEST will not be accepting submissions in the features categories.
* Films under 40 minutes are considered Short Films. Films 40 minutes or longer are considered Feature Films.
* To be eligible for consideration, all films must have been completed on or after October 1, 2023.
* If the submission is in a language other than English; the screener that is submitted must include English subtitles.
* For short films, there is no regional premiere requirement. Short films are eligible to apply regardless of television broadcast history and online availability.
* We welcome submissions via the FilmFreeway secure online screener system only.
* More than one entry may be submitted. Each entry must be accompanied by an official entry form and fee.
* Rough cuts and works-in-progress are eligible for entry if the final cut will be available by May 31, 2024. However, please be aware that our programming department may not be able to re-screen your film if you send a final cut after submitting a rough cut. To avoid confusion throughout the screening review process, it is preferable that you only submit ONE version of your film, preferably the final version.
* Previously declined submissions will not be accepted unless the project has undergone significant content changes (60% or more) and meets all other submission requirements. Permission to re-apply is required. Please email programming@AFI.com.
* Promotional, instructional or industrial films, and raw documentation of performances are not eligible.
* The entry fee is non-refundable.
* We offer a limited amount of fee waivers each year for AFI Conservatory fellows and AFI FESTIVALS alumni. If you are a member of one of these groups, you can write to programming@AFI.com to request a fee waiver before the final deadline. AFI Conservatory fellows, please include your full name, year of graduation and discipline. AFI FESTIVALS alumni, please include the festival you participated in (AFI FEST or AFI DOCS), your previous film title, your role on that film and the year that it was screened at the festival. We are unable to offer any other entry fee waivers at this time.
*Your submission will not be complete until you submit a secure online screener.
*All filmmakers will be notified of their status by September 25, 2024 via the submission contact email address. Please keep us informed of any changes regarding your contact information by emailing programming@AFI.com.
*Due to the number of submissions, AFI FEST cannot provide feedback on any entries.
*All film entries selected for the festival grant AFI FEST the rights to use footage, stills and/or titles and information from the film for promotional purposes.
*All films submitted must be free from any legal disputes and the filmmaker must have cleared all rights for music and exhibition.
*If your submission is selected to screen in the festival, you will need to provide the following:
• A DCP or final film file upload by the required deadline as specified through contact with our print traffic team. Each filmmaker is responsible for any delivery costs of DCP, including any applicable customs fees. AFI FEST only accommodates return shipping costs following the festival.
• Press kits, trailers, promotional materials and additional screeners for preview
Note: AFI FEST reserves the right to change any of this information (including festival dates, venues, events, awards and eligibility requirements) without further notice.
TERMS OF ENTRY You hereby grant AFI FEST 2024 (“festival”) all rights necessary to exhibit and promote the submitted film at the 2024 festival. You represent that such exhibition will not violate or infringe upon any rights whatsoever (including copyright, trademark, musical or contract right) of any person or entity. You further represent that you are authorized to submit the submitted film and, if selected, you will deliver the DCP or film file to the festival office no later than October 4, 2024. Additionally, you indemnify the festival from any and all claims, demands, losses, costs, damages, and attorney's fee arising out of or in connection with third parties with regards to the screening of said film. Further, you hereby agree that you have read and agree to the General Rules and Regulations for submissions to AFI FEST 2024.