Vidlings & Tapeheads YEAR FOUR—coming to you in 2021!
Vidlings & Tapeheads is dedicated to celebrating & promoting unconventional stories. We love films with a unique voice that tell their stories in an unusual way, experiment with the medium, or sincerely explore eclectic subject matter and themes. We encourage and celebrate subversiveness, innovative use of materials and budget, and quirky independent work that doesn’t fit comfortably within any one genre.
VTFF films run the gamut of style, setting, and tone—tending to weird, niche, cult, or unusual—but always telling a story. We connect with characters who are outsiders and dreamers, both in front of and behind the camera. And though filmmaking is a collaborative effort, we have an unabashed appreciation of the auteur. We love the the absurd humor and magical realism of Terry Gilliam and Jean-Pierre Jeunet, the irreverent sincerity and dysfunctional iconoclasm of John Waters and Jane Campion, the uncanny cleverness and dark mystery of Davids Cronenberg and Lynch, the tactile humanity and visceral goofiness of Jan Švankmajer and Stephen Chow, the timeless avant-garde dreamscapes of Maya Deren and Slavko Vorkapić, and the haunting beauty and moral ambiguity of Hayao Miyazaki.
We do our best to curate a diverse and engaging program with a progressive group of unconventional filmmakers, musicians, and artists from Michigan and around the world. We strive to be inclusive and welcome people of all ages, genders, ethnicities, nationalities, creeds, orientations, and walks of life to submit!
VTFF will take place on October 8th and 9th, 2021. The festival will feature Live Music Performances, an Art Exhibition, and of course — lots of Films! October 10th will cap the weekend with a filmmaker and VIP-only Award Ceremony Brunch & Excursion!
Opening Night TBD. All in-competitions film screenings will be held throughout the day on Saturday the 9th. There will be live music and filmmaker Q&As between each film block. Festival attendees will be able to take in our art exhibition throughout the day and mingle with local artists and filmmakers. The night will wrap with a party set to music by the closing night bands. Sunday’s Award Ceremony Brunch and Excursion is closed to the public, but available for VIP passholders, volunteers, performing musicians, artists, and the filmmakers themselves.
Our main events in Michigan take place at Planet Ant Hall and its adjoining Ghost Light bar in Hamtramck, Michigan. Throughout its 20 years, Planet Ant has produced film festivals, improv festivals, Detroit Box Fests, and hosted events by The 313 and other renowned local and national artists. Hamtramck is a vital part of the resurgent Detroit cultural scene and has long been recognized as one of the coolest neighborhoods in the metro area!
Awards will be selected by a jury of working filmmakers, film critics, and film scholars.
Jury: Best Fiction
Jury: Best Animation
Jury: Best Documentary
Jury: Best Made-in-Michigan
Coordinators: Spirit of V&T (Michigan)
Our 2021 prize packages are in development. Last year we had prizes from Final Draft, Wacom, ProAm USA, and Toon Boom—just to name a few!
• Submitted short films must have been completed on or after January 1st, 2019.
• Films must be submitted via FilmFreeway online screener or password-protected Vimeo/YouTube link. Physical screeners are not accepted.
• No commercials, music videos, or works in progress.
• Entry fees are non-refundable.
• Do not send a press kit until your film has been selected.
• All non-English language films must have legible English subtitles.
• Multiple submissions must have separate forms and appropriate fees for each film.
• The selection committees’ decisions are final.
• If your film is selected, your digital screening download link must arrive by August 12th, 2021.
• If your film is selected you must provide 2 high resolution screen shots and a secured online link for press/promotion by August 7th, 2021. You will also be asked to provide press materials and a trailer for the website, with an option to send posters and flyers.
• All filmmakers under the age of 18 must have a legal guardian submit for you.
• Filmmakers must be authorized to submit their films to the Vidlings & Tapeheads Film Festival (VTFF) and are responsible for the accuracy of all information provided on the application form.
VTFF may use images, sounds and excerpts from the films for promotional purposes in all media including the Vidlings & Tapeheads website and may present accepted films at the VTFF2021.
You indicate that you have read and understand the VTFF entry guidelines and rules and regulations and that you agree to the VTFF Terms and Conditions. Furthermore, you indicate that you shall indemnify and hold harmless the V&T and Lethal Finger LLC from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney's fees, and costs of the court) which may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, publicity, screening, and loss of or damage to the screening videos entered.