The Toronto Smartphone Film Festival (TSFF) is hosting its 11th edition.
As the most prominent smartphone film festival in Canada, TSFF provides aspiring filmmakers worldwide a platform to showcase their stories on the big screen.
< Best Canadian Film >
- Eligible films must be Canadian (restrictions may apply to applicants in the Province of Quebec).
< Best International Film >
- Eligible films must not be Canadian (some applicants may face restrictions depending on the applicants' country of origin).
< Best Emerging Film >
- Eligible filmmakers with no more than three (3) short films under the Director's name.
< Audience Choice Award >
- All Official Selections are entered into this category.
- Award Categories and Prizes are subject to change.
- Applicants must choose the appropriate award category when submitting and may select more than one category (i.e. Best Canadian and Best Emerging)
- If your film does not meet the eligibility requirements of the award category selected by the applicant, TSFF has the right to eliminate your film from the selected category.
- TSFF is not responsible for any bank/transaction and/or shipping and handling fees related to award claims.
PLEASE READ THE SUBMISSION GUIDELINE CAREFULLY. FILM ENTRIES THAT FAIL TO FULFILL THE SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED!
TERMS AND CONDITIONS: By submitting your Film ("Film") to Toronto Smartphone Film Festival ("TSFF"), you accept and agree that you grant TSFF a perpetual, royalty-free, non-exclusive right and license to use, reproduce, modify, publish, screen, broadcast, and distribute the Film, as well as the unrestricted use of the Film for any purpose, without compensation to the provider of the Film. Films from Quebec may experience exclusion from submissions due to laws set by the province of Quebec.
TSFF's programming team reviews all Films, and a jury panel appointed by TSFF selects the award winners. TSFF will not consider Films viewable by the mass/public via YouTube, Vimeo, Facebook, Website, etc. However, Films participating in other film festivals will not be restricted. Official selections will screen on one of three festival days and air on OMNI 2 (CH. 14) via Arirang Korea TV (our media sponsor).
TSFF 2022 Call for Submissions
No Fee: Monday, January 16, 2023, at 11:59 p.m. EST.
Regular ($15): Monday, February 13, 2023, at 11:59 p.m. EST.
Late ($25): Monday, March 6, 2023, at 11:59 p.m. EST.
- Genre: No restrictions
- Length: 10 minutes or less (with credits)
- Language: English or English subtitle is a must if films contain spoken language(s) other than English
- Footage: Must be shot on smartphone(s) and/or tablet(s). If your Film's narrative requires using a device not listed on the prohibited equipment list* (e.g. desktop/laptop camera), this is accepted as long as most of the footage is shot on smartphones/tablets. Animation and graphically produced films must be created on smartphones/tablets using its app(s).
- Audio: No restrictions. May use any audio equipment.
- 2-Part Raw Footage Proof (TSFF will not consider your Film if you fail to submit):
a. 30-second raw footage (or more if requested) used in the Film's final cut (uncut and unedited for the total duration of 30 seconds or longer).
b. Behind-The-Scene (BTS) Photos/Videos of various scenes used in your Film.
[*Prohibited Equipment: DSLR, Mirrorless, Handycam Camcorders, Point-and-Shoot Cameras, GoPro and other similar devices]
- Editing: No restrictions on editing software (does not need to be edited on smartphones/tablets).
- Use of Archival Footage: Archival footage is permitted as an aid to develop a story and does not need to be shot on smartphones/tablets, as long as you clear the copyrights before submitting. However, the use of archival footage will not be permitted for the entire duration of the Film if shot on devices other than smartphones/tablets.
- Copyrights: The Applicant must clear all copyrighted material(s) used in the final cut before submitting. Any issue(s) that may arise due to infringement of copyrights is the Applicant's sole responsibility. TSFF, its members, and affiliated organizations are not responsible for any infringement of copyrights.
Final Deadline: Monday, March 6, 2023, at 11:59 p.m. EST.
Result Notification: Monday, April 3, 2023 (Date is subject to change)
1. Submit your Film via FilmFreeway (no other submission methods considered)
2. Submit your Form via FilmFreeway (incomplete forms not considered)
3. Prepare to submit the 2-Part Raw Footage Proof (TSFF Programming team will contact the Applicant via email with the deadline for submission)
4. Pay Submission Fees (See Submission Guideline)
a. Applicants must test their files and/or links thoroughly before submitting. If TSFF cannot view the Film, TSFF will attempt but is under no obligation to contact the Applicant to obtain a replacement.
b. TSFF will not review multiple versions of a submitted Film. If multiple versions are submitted, TSFF will review only view the first version submitted.
c. TSFF is under no obligation to contact the Applicant and/or refund the submission fee should the Applicant not have adhered to rules set out in Terms and Conditions.
d. TSFF does not confirm receipt of submissions. The Applicant's responsibility is to ensure that the submission procedure is complete.