Welcome to the Topaz Film Festival formerly known as the Flicks by Chicks Film Festival.
For 18 years, Women in Film Dallas has provided a platform for independent women filmmakers to promote their work through its annual film festival.
The Topaz Film Festival is an extension of the Women in Film Dallas Scholastic Grant Fund, a 501c3 that provides financial support through grants and scholarships to women in the pursuit of media arts degrees and those in the productions of film, television and screen-based media. Proceeds from the festival will serve to fund the scholastic grant.
This year’s program will span 3 days, September 19-21, 2019 and consist of at least 2 short film blocks and at least one centerpiece feature film (dependent upon submission volume).
Films are eligible if women are in two or more of the following positions, in the making of the film: director, writer, producer, director of photography, editor or composer.
We accept both narratives and documentaries in both feature and shorts categories. Shorts must be under the 20-minute mark, the shorter the better! Features are over 60 minutes.
50% DISCOUNT - WIFD members with code. Visit www.wifdallas.org to become a member and receive your code!
Categories coming soon!
Jury Prize Best of Texas
2019 TOPAZ FILM FESTIVAL COMPETITION RULES
The following rules govern all film submissions to the Topaz Film Festival (“TFF” or the “Festival”)
1. Films are eligible if women are in two or more of the following positions: director, writer, producer, director of photography, editor, or composer.
2. Submissions must be accompanied by the applicable submission fee PER ENTRY and a completed online entry form.
3. Submission Fees are Final. No Refunds!
4. All films must be in English or have English subtitles at the time submitted.
5. In the event of a password change or link change after submitting, you must email the Festival at firstname.lastname@example.org immediately with that change so we may update your record. If the Festival is not notified of the change and the link is found to be inactive or the password to be incorrect, the submission may be deemed ineligible, without a refund.
6. Films must have been completed after January 1, 2018. Films must be available for screening during the Topaz Film Festival, September 19-21, 2019.
7. Films that have been submitted in previous years are eligible to be resubmitted, provided they are eligible according to all of the festival’s current rules.
8. TFF reserves the right in its sole discretion to reject or disqualify any ineligible entries, without a refund.
9. Films may be screened during the festival as a digital file, Blu-Ray, HD-CAM, or DCP. If you are unable or unwilling to provide us your film in the requested format for exhibition, DO NOT SUBMIT your film.
10. We strongly encourage filmmakers to submit their film only after it is fully finished and will judge each submission as a completed work, whether it is or not. Once a film is entered, we will not update the submission with a more recent cut. That said, because TFF’s focus is on story, minor technical changes will not affect the final decision of any film. Should the film be accepted to play during the Festival, the filmmaker will have the opportunity to supply the Festival with their most recent version, provided that no modifications have been made to the story itself.
Originality and Permissions; INDEMNITY
1. Films must be the original work of the applicants. If a film is based upon another person’s life or upon a book or other underlying work, applicant(s) must secure any necessary rights to make such adaptations. However, it is not necessary to submit the adaptation rights agreements to the Festival. Neither the Festival nor its jurists investigates or attests to the authenticity of an applicant’s statement of authorship or rights secured. By entering the competition, you represent that you have secured all necessary rights.
2. Applicants are solely responsible for obtaining all necessary rights and permissions for third-party materials included in their films, including but not limited to music, trademarks, logos, copyrights, and other intellectual property rights. TFF expressly disclaims all liability or responsibility for any violations of the foregoing.
3. The Topaz Film Festival is hereby granted the right to utilize an excerpt from any film submitted and accepted for exhibition at the Topaz Film Festival event for promotional purposes including but not limited to screenings in conjunction with Dallas Video Fest. The individual or corporation submitting the film hereby warrants that it is authorized to commit the film for public screening, and understands and accepts these requirements and regulations.
4. The undersigned shall indemnify and hold harmless Women in Film Dallas, Women in Film Dallas Scholastic Grant Fund and Topaz Flicks from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney's fees, and costs of the court) which may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, publicity, screening, and loss of or damage to the screening videos entered.
Selected Films and Winners
1. The Topaz Film Festival has no obligation (other than as stated in these rules or on our website) to disclose any of the following information: i) identities of screeners or judges; ii) notes, feedback, or information relating to the submitted project; and/or iii) details regarding the submission review or selection process.
2. TFF explicitly disclaims any liability or responsibility for any comments, notes, or opinions expressed about a submission, whether by TFF or by its volunteers.
3. Winners will be announced before or on August 15, 2019. The judges’ decision is final.
COMPETITION IS VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
I/We have read all of the rules, understand, and have complied with these rules.
I/We warrant the submission of my/our original work and that there are no disputes regarding the ownership of the submission.
I/We also warrant the submitted material does not defame or invade the rights of any person living or dead.
To the best of my/our knowledge, all the statements herein are true and correct.
I/We understand that failure to adhere to the competition rules and regulations will result in disqualification and forfeiture of entry fee.
I/We acknowledge that once an entry payment has been processed, TFF will not provide a refund.
No revisions of materials will be accepted once entry has been submitted.
BY SUBMITTING THE MATERIAL, I/WE HEREBY AGREES TO INDEMNIFY, HOLD HARMLESS, AND DEFEND THE FESTIVAL, ITS EMPLOYEES, DIRECTORS, REPRESENTATIVES, AND AFFILIATES FROM ALL LIABILITY, CLAIMS, AND DAMAGES IN CONNECTION WITH THE SUBMISSION AND FROM ANY FEES AND EXPENSES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO REASONABLE ATTORNEYS’ FEES, THAT ANY OF THEM MAY INCUR IN CONNECTION THEREWITH.