Play⧎Short is an International Film Awards which aims to discover and recognize new talents from all over the world. It was created in order to support short film directors providing a critical evaluation of their work.
Many filmmakers, specially the first-timers, want to start with unduly ambitious stories. What makes a short film a great film it's not how ambitious the story is, but the way the story is being told. The ingredients to have a great short film are a coherent script, outstanding directing, compelling camerawork, exquisite lighting and tight editing. There are a lot of films that are interesting, but have a careless sound. Every film directors must care about the sound before the shooting, it's one of the most important cinematic elements. Catch great actors, not models! Stories on screen must be told in a real way, not in a theatricality way.
Nominees and winners will be announced publicly on our website which will provide exceptional films, filmmakers and crew members with recognition for their filmmaking achievements.
Every submitted film can get one or more awards listed below:
► MAIN COMPETITION (quarterly nominees):
• Best Drama Short
• Best Comedy Short
• Best Horror Short
• Best LGBT Short
• Best Disability Short
• Best Action Short
• Best SCI-FI Short
• Best Animation Short
• Best Documentary Short
• Best Experimental Short
• Best Student Short
• Best Mobile Short
• Best No Word Short
• Best 1-Minute Short
• Best Dance Film
• Best Music Video
► FILM CRAFT AWARDS - FCA (quarterly nominees):
• Film Directing
• Sound Design
• Film Editing
• Original Music Score
• Female Acting
• Male Acting
► ANNUAL COMPETITION (annual nominees):
• Best Short Film
The semi-finalists are the quarterly nominees and the finalists are the winners. Any winner can be selected to the Annual Competition and they will be announced close to the notification date. Then it will be announced the big winner for the Best Short Film.
☇ 𝗛𝗢𝗪 𝗜𝗧 𝗪𝗢𝗥𝗞𝗦?
- MAIN COMPETITION -
Whenever you submit a short film under a specific category in the Main Competition this short will be in the competition with other short films from the same category. If your short film is a Drama, you must submit via "Drama Short" category and your short will be competing for "Best Drama Short" award. The nominees in this section will be announced quarterly.
- FILM CRAFT AWARD -
You can submit in other categories to compete for an Award of Excellence in the category you want.
But if you want to have a complete evaluation of your short film you can submit through the "ALL FILM CRAFT AWARDS" option, which gives you a wider possibility to get any award from it. The most of the award events charge for each category, we think it's not fair, so we just charge a little bit more to allow you getting exposure to all categories of the "FILM CRAFT AWARDS" section. The nominees in this section will be announced quarterly.
You don't have to submit in a Main Competition category to submit in a Film Craft category and vice versa as the jury will judge separately.
- ANNUAL COMPETITION -
Once the winners of each category have been announced, the jury will select the best ones, which become part of the Annual Competition. They will be competing for the ► Best Short Film ◄. All selected shorts for this section will be screened.
𝗪𝗔𝗡𝗧 𝗧𝗢 𝗖𝗢𝗠𝗣𝗘𝗧𝗘 𝗙𝗢𝗥 𝗔𝗟𝗟 𝗔𝗪𝗔𝗥𝗗𝗦?
If you want to compete for overall sections (Main Competition + Film Craft Awards) you must submit your short through "ALL FILM CRAFT AWARDS" option and send us an e-mail asking for a $10 discount code for your entry in the Main Competition. It gives you a chance to compete for EVERY award of this Play Short season for a low price (in other award events you could spend $240 in fees for all categories, with us you will just spend $80). All entries have equal rights, so we charge the same submission fee, regardless of the submission date.
➫ Play Short Rules and Terms:
1. It will be considered fiction, animation, documentary, experimental and mobile short films. Dance films and music videos will be considered as well;
2. All non-English language films must have English subtitles;
3. Short films must be submitted via online screener;
4. Short films may not exceed 30 minutes in length;
5. Short films submitted under the "1-Minute Short" category may not exceed 1 minute in length (without credits);
6. All entries submitted under the "No Word Short" category must have no dialogues / voice-over;
7. Short films must have been completed after January 1, 2014;
8. There is no limit on the number of films that each director or producer can submit;
9. Student I.D. is required for entries under the “Student Short” category;
10. All entries must have a synopsis, trailer and crew list;
11. Written comments or press kits describing entries are beneficial (optional);
12. All entries will be notified about the selection via email;
13. The jury will decide the quarterly nominees and the award winning short films in each category. Some categories may not get any nomination if the short films do not match with the selection criteria;
14. Nominees will get our official laurels;
15. Winners will get our official laurels and a digital certificate;
16. Winners of each category are able to get in the Annual Competition;
17. There will be a final winner of the Annual Competition for the "Best Short Film";
18. All short films which become part of the Annual Competition will be screened;
19. The directors and producers of the films submitted declare that they hold the rights of all intellectual forms of expression of third parties contained in their films;
20. All directors and producers give us the right to screen their short films;
21. Short films from the Annual Competition will receive a film screening permission form. It must be signed and sent back under penalty of being disqualified;
22. All directors and producers allow us to use press materials and trailers from their films for promotional purposes;
23. Entries can be disqualified if they don't match with our submission rules;
24. Entry fees are non-refundable;
25. The event organizers can change the rules and terms anytime;
26. The submission of the short films results in acceptance of this regulation.