The INDIE short FILM SERIES returns for its 9th installment on Saturday, Dec 3, 2022 - 7:00pm at the Vinegar Hill Theatre in Charlottesville, Virginia. This special installment is the Women in Film Edition Part 2, celebrating women filmmakers. Films qualified to be screened in this edition must be written or directed by a woman. The primary goal is to provide a platform for women to share and talk about their stories. The first Women in Film event presented in September was such a hit that the organizers listened to the community and decided to return with a part 2 in December.
The Series features domestic and international short films, followed by a filmmaker's panel discussion. Many of the previously screened films have appeared at the Sundance Film Festival, Tribeca. and many others. Our festival ALWAYS include an Audience Choice Award and the winners will receive a glass/crystal award.
The founder of the Series, Ty Cooper, is an award-winning writer, director and producer. He is one of the producers on a period film titled, Runaway, by director and writer, Eric Hurt, which features McKinley Belcher (Netflix's Ozark). His most recent film, Amanda, is spot touring the country and has won awards various film events. He co-founded a film festival in 2005, served as a programming consultant for a film festival in Norfolk, VA, currently the Outreach and Promotion Consultant for the Virginia Film Festival since 2017, and volunteers for the Sundance Film Festival since 2015 to date. To say the least, Cooper is passionate about indie filmmaking.
Vinegar Hill Theatre serves as the home for the INDIE short FILM SERIES since 2019. It was chosen as the event's home due to the theatre serving as Charlottesville's only true independent movie theater in full support of independent filmmakers since 1976. The doors were closed for over a year when Covid-19 caused national shutdowns of movie theaters and halted filmmaking in general. With nearly 200 seats utilizing a DCP projector and non-DCP way of projecting, the theater offers a great viewing experience for patrons and visiting filmmakers have walked away very happy after screening at the Series.
Charlottesville's beautiful landscape serves as the perfect backdrop for a film event. Besides serving as the home of the Virginia Film Festival and the Indie Short Film Series, it is also the home of Academy Award Winner, Sissy Spacek, John Grisham, Dave Matthews Band, football legend Howie Long and Chris Long, and many others. So, needless to say, the event is in good company while providing an opportunity for independent filmmakers to have their storytelling presented to a live audience and to share their intimate details of their journey during a moderated panel discussion.
On Saturday, December 3rd, the doors of Vinegar Hill Theatre open at 6:30pm and the screenings commences at 7:00pm, followed by a filmmaker panel discussion. This event is sponsored Lifeview Marketing and C'ville Weekly.
September 2022 Newspaper Article: https://dailyprogress.com/entertainment/movies/indie-short-film-series-turns-lens-on-womens-projects-processes/article_69b29654-3ab1-11ed-9e59-fff69bc527c6.html
June 2022 Newspaper Article:
The team at the Indie Short Film Series is dedicated to programming a diverse line up of international and domestic films from various genres. Shorts that have been previously programmed included narrative, horror, comedy, experimental, suspense thriller, and documentaries.
The Audience Choice Award is voted by Festival goers themselves through ballots casted at the theater(s) after the screening block(s). Crystal/Glass Award will be sent to the filmmaker as registered via Film Freeway.
All submissions must have a total running time less than 30 minutes and be a film written or directed by a woman and must tell a story about women.
Submissions must not be X-Rated.
Filmmakers must have the cleared rights of all materials appearing in the film such as: talent (actors), music, art, etc and hold the Indie Short Film Series and its organizers and sponsor affiliates harmless of any liability associated with showing the film publicly.
BELOW IS THE LONG FORM:
Terms and Conditions:
I, the authorized representative of the project being submitted (hereafter called the "Project") to INDIE SHORT FILM SERIES (hereafter called the “ISFS” or "INDIE SHORT FILM SERIES") for consideration for the INDIE SHORT FILM SERIES (hereafter called the “Festival”), hereby acknowledge the following:
1. I represent and warrant to the ISFS that: (a) I am duly authorized, on my own behalf and on behalf of all other persons or entities who have any ownership rights or interests (including, without limitation, intellectual property rights) in or relating to the Project (hereafter called the “Project’s Owners”), to exhibit this Project at the Festival, (b) exhibition of the Project at the Festival will not violate any law or any right or consent of any person or entity; and (c) the Project is not subject to any litigation, arbitration, or other adversarial claim or proceeding, nor is the Project the subject of any threat of litigation, arbitration, or other adverse claim or proceeding.
2. I further represent and warrant, on behalf of myself and the Project’s Owners, that the exhibition of the Project at the Festival will not violate or infringe any copyright, patent, privacy right, publicity right, trademark, service mark or any other personal or property right of any person or entity, and that the Project does not constitute or include a defamation of any person or entity. I have paid and will pay in full all license fees, clearance fees, and other obligations, of any kind, arising from or associated with the exhibition of the Project at or in connection with the Festival.
3. In the event that the Project is accepted by the ISFS for inclusion in the Festival, I acknowledge, on behalf of myself and the Project’s Owners, that the ISFS’ exhibition or presentation of the Project at the Festival does not and will not create any confidential or fiduciary relationship between the ISFS on the one hand and myself and/or the Project’s Owners on the other. I further acknowledge, on behalf of myself and the Project’s Owners, that I and we understand that neither I nor any of the Project’s Owners will receive any compensation for such exploitation, although some prizes at the Festival may include cash awards. I acknowledge that no obligation of any kind is assumed by, or may be implied against, the ISFS or the Festival in the event of, by virtue of, or as a result of the ISFS' selection of the Project for the Festival. I and the Project’s Owners understand and acknowledge that the selection of the Project for inclusion in the Festival does not and will not in any way constitute an express or implied endorsement or approval by the ISFS or the Festival of the content of the Project or any opinion expressed therein.
4. I agree, on behalf of myself and each of the Project’s Owners, to indemnify and hold harmless the ISFS and the Festival, together with each of their parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, directors, employees, attorneys, creative advisors, agents and representatives (collectively, “ISFS Related Parties”), from and against any and all claims, losses, liabilities, damages, fees and expenses (including, but not limited to, reasonable attorneys’ fees and other costs) that may be asserted by any person or entity, or may be incurred by the Institute, the Festival, or any ISFS Related Parties, at any time in connection with the Project or the ISFS' use, handling, consideration or exhibition thereof, and/or arising from any breach or alleged breach of any representation made by me to the ISFS, the Festival or any ISFS Related Parties, including, without limitation, any express or implied representation in these Terms and Conditions.
5. I warrant and agree, on behalf of myself and each of the Project’s Owners, that the Project is being submitted to the ISFS voluntarily and without promise or inducement, and that the submission of the Project neither imposes nor creates any obligation or responsibility on the part of the ISFS, the Festival, or any ISFS Related Parties to accept the Project for inclusion in the Festival, to exhibit the Project at the Festival, to acknowledge the submission of the Project, or to return the Project to me or others. I further agree, on my own behalf and on behalf of the Project’s Owners, that I and the Project’s Owners, and any other representative or person affiliated with the Project, in submitting the Project for consideration, are waiving, forfeiting, forgoing and relinquishing any right that I or we might otherwise have to assert any claim or commence any proceeding in any forum or tribunal against the ISFS, the Festival, or any ISFS Related Parties, based upon, arising out of or otherwise relating to the submission, exhibition or failure to exhibit the Project (including, without limitation, claims relating to any failure or refusal to exhibit the Project at the Festival, the exhibition or marketing of the Project at or in connection with the Festival, alleged oral or written representations by the Festival or its representatives relating to the submission or exhibition of the Project, and any other matters arising from or relating to the submission of the Project), whether such claims may be based on theories of contract, implied contract, tort, statute, or other legal theory (hereinafter, “Claim”). In the event that any Claim is asserted, or any action, arbitration or other proceeding is brought or commenced, in violation of the agreement set forth in the immediately preceding sentence, I agree, on my own behalf and on behalf of each of the Project’s Owners, to indemnify the ISFS and the Festival from any and all Claims, losses, liabilities, damages, fees and expenses (including, but not limited to, reasonable attorneys’ fees and other costs) that are incurred by the ISFS, the Festival and any ISFS Related Parties as a result of or in connection with any such Claim or any action, arbitration or other proceeding brought in violation of the representations and agreements set forth in this paragraph.
6. Without in any way limiting the provisions or scope of the agreements set forth in paragraph 5 above and paragraph 10 below, I further agree and accept that, in the event that any Claim is asserted, or any action, arbitration or other proceeding is brought or commenced, by me, any of the Project’s Owners, or any other representative of or person affiliated with the Project, in violation of the agreements set forth in paragraph 5 above, and in the further event that an arbitrator or other tribunal should permit such Claim to proceed despite the waiver language set forth in paragraph 5 above, the sole and maximum remedy that could be awarded to me or any other person or entity asserting any Claim shall be a refund of the submission fee paid in connection with the submission of the Project to the ISFS for consideration for the Festival. Under no circumstances shall any other remedy, including without limitation actual, expectancy, reliance, consequential, special, punitive or exemplary damages, or any other damages, or injunctive, declaratory, provisional or other relief, be available to me, the Project’s Owners, or any other person or entity representing or affiliated with the Project.
7. In the event that the Project is accepted by the ISFS for inclusion in and exhibition at the Festival, I hereby grant, on behalf of myself and each of the Project’s Owners, each of the following rights to the ISFS, the Festival, and any ISFS Related Parties without reservations, conditions or qualifications: (a) the right to use footage, stills and/or titles, and information from or relating to the Project for promotional purposes; and (b) the right to issue and authorize publicity concerning the filmmakers and the Project and to use all associated names, likenesses and biographical information. I also agree to provide up-to-date contact information pertaining to the director(s) and producer(s) of the Project, and to grant the ISFS and the Festival, at their sole and absolute discretion, the right to provide this information to film industry organizations that sponsor Festival events.
8. In the event that the Project is accepted by the ISFS for inclusion in and exhibition at the Festival, and I or the Project’s Owners have contractual obligations to any producers, distributors, creators, cast or crew regarding "festival benefits" (which may include but are not limited to production credits, screening tickets, Festival credentials or monetary compensation), I agree and accept that those “festival benefits” must be administered and distributed by myself and/or the Project’s Owners, and do not impact the nature or quantity of benefits provided by ISFS.
9. I warrant and agree, on behalf of myself and each of the Project’s Owners, that the ISFS has made no claims, representations or guarantees, and has provided no assurances, in relation to the internal process utilized by the Institute with respect to selection of projects for inclusion in the Festival, and that the submission of the Project neither imposes nor creates any obligation or responsibility on the part of the ISFS, the Festival, or any ISFS Related Parties to provide me, the Project’s Owners, or my or their related parties with comments, feedback or other information pertaining to the viewing or consideration of the Project by the ISFS for possible inclusion in the Festival.
10. I warrant and agree, on behalf of myself and each of the Project’s Owners, that by submitting the Project to the Indie Short Film Series, I hereby grant the ISFS and all persons employed by, contracted by, or otherwise directly associated with ISFS the irrevocable right to view and/or download all digital assets associated with the Project, including, but not limited to, any representation of the Project in the form of video files, still images, assets streamed via the Internet, and/or all other assets and information provided by the Applicant on the application. All digital assets referenced above shall remain active and accessible by the ISFS until the conclusion of the Festival. Any dissemination of these materials, incidental or otherwise, shall not be the responsibility of the ISFS or any ISFS Related Parties.
11. I represent that I am 18 years of age or older, or that, if I am younger than the legal age to enter into contracts in my state, I have provided the Indie Short Film Series with signed, written consent from my parent or legal guardian.
12. Without in any way limiting the provisions or scope of the agreements set forth in paragraph 5 above, I further agree, on behalf of myself and each of the Project’s Owners, that any claim, dispute or controversy arising out of, in connection with, or otherwise related to the Project, the Festival, or these Terms and Conditions, including, without limitation, any Claim (as this term is defined above) and any other claim or cause of action of any nature arising from the actual or alleged breach, termination, enforcement, interpretation or validity of these Terms and Conditions, as well as the determination of the scope or applicability of this agreement to arbitrate, will be governed by the internal, substantive laws of the State of Virginia and will be subject to and submitted to exclusive, binding arbitration before a single arbitrator in Charlottesville, Virginia, which shall be the sole and exclusive forum for determination of such claim, dispute or controversy. The arbitrator shall issue a written award and, subject to the terms of paragraph 6 hereof, shall have the right to award monetary relief. I specifically agree and acknowledge, however, that the arbitrator shall not have the power to award punitive or exemplary damages, nor shall the arbitrator have the power to order the Institute to include the Project in the Festival or to award other injunctive or non-monetary relief. The arbitrator shall have the power to award, and shall be required to award, to the substantially prevailing party in any such arbitration, its reasonable attorneys’ fees, costs and expenses incurred in connection with the arbitration (including, without limitation, reimbursement of that party’s share of the arbitrator’s fees and administrative charges). The arbitrator’s award shall be final, binding and non-appealable. Judgment on the arbitrator’s award may be entered in any federal or state court of competent jurisdiction in the United States. In agreeing to this exclusive arbitration provision, I hereby waive, forfeit and relinquish, on behalf of myself and each of the Project’s Owners, any right or entitlement that I or the Project’s Owners might otherwise have had to bring or litigate any claim or claims encompassed by this paragraph in any federal or state court against the Institute, the Festival, or any Indie Short Film Series Related Party, and further waive, forfeit and relinquish any right to a trial by jury with respect to such claim or claims.
13. I hereby acknowledge that I have the right to consult with an attorney of my own choosing with respect to these Terms and Conditions and with respect to the Rules and Regulations for submitting a project to the Festival. By completing my submission application for 2020 Sundance Film Festival consideration, I agree that I am doing so after having consulted with an attorney or after I freely or voluntarily elected not to do so without coercion or duress.
14. I hereby acknowledge that I have read and understood the Rules and Regulations for submitting a project to the Festival, and that the information contained in said Rules and Regulations does and shall supersede any information obtained elsewhere, including, but not limited to, information contained in any current Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) documents and/or rules and regulations documents from prior years.
15. By completing my submission application for INDIE SHORT FILM SERIES consideration via FilmFreeway, I freely and voluntarily give and express my full and complete acceptance of all of the terms and provisions set forth in these Terms and Conditions. I acknowledge that no oral representations, inducements, promises or assurances of any kind, and no representations, inducements, promises or assurances not set forth in these Terms and Conditions, have been made to me or the Project’s Owners by the Festival, or any INDIE SHORT FILM SERIES Related Parties.