The ifab festival seeks to present the most innovative and adventurous developments in cinema, to bring worthy filmmakers to a wider attention, and to provide a platform for appreciative and informed discussion of their work. ifab is interested in films by emerging filmmakers whose work show stylistic boldness, strength of form and the ambition to use the medium in a way that resists clichés and stereotypes.
We celebrate the diverse cultural mixture that is Berlin, screening films from all over the world and honoring emerging filmmakers from every age, ethnic, religious, cultural and geographic perspective.
The International Film Awards Berlin attempts to cultivate avenues and spaces for independent and student artists from all over the world to create and display their stories without commercial pressure, in affordable screening venues in order to discover and develop independent filmmaking and cinema-house culture.
The International Film Awards Berlin was founded dedicated to the preservation and support of independent cinema. Each year the Festival Board seeks diverse selection that will decorate talented filmmakers.
The International Film Awards Berlin culminates in the presentation of several awards:
Best Narrative Feature - the ifab Brandenburg Gate Award
Best Director ifab Award
Best Screenplay ifab Award
Best Lead Actor ifab Award
Best Lead Actress ifab Award
Best Cinematography ifab Award
Best Documentary Feature ifab Award
Best Narrative Short ifab Award
Best Narrative Ultra Short ifab Award
Best Documentary Short ifab Award
Best Animated ifab Award
The ifab 2016 Festival will take place from September 20th to September 22nd in Berlin.
• ifab seeks to present the most innovative and adventurous developments in world cinema, to bring worthy filmmakers to a wider attention, and to provide a platform for appreciative and informed discussion of their work. ifab is interested in films by emerging filmmakers whose work show stylistic boldness, strength of form and the ambition to use the medium in a way that resists clichés and stereotypes.
Terms & Conditions:
As a condition of entering the International Film Awards Berlin, hereafter known as IFAB, I/we hereby certify that:
1. I/we am/are the sole creators of the film, script, short stories, poems which I/we have submitted to the IFAB.
2. I/we warrant as sole and exclusive owner(s) of all legal right and title thereto have absolute authority to submit the enclosed material to IFAB.
3. I/we understand that the IFAB will not return and is not obligated to return my film or any other materials I/we have submitted and/or is screened at the IFAB.
4. I/we hereby grant the IFAB the nonexclusive right to use my name, photograph, and likeness in connection with any and all publicity and promotional activities regarding the IFAB. I/we hereby grant the IFAB the nonexclusive right to screen the submitted and selected work up to two (2) times for the time period of 36 Months after submission date.
5. IFAB may transfer the submitted material to a compilation DVD/BluRay for screening, if needed, and if the submitted material is selected for screening the compilation DVD/BluRay may be used by IFAB for promotional purposes.
6. I/we will indemnify and hold harmless IFAB, its judges, sponsors and partners, individually and collectively, from and against all claims, demands, losses, damages, costs, liabilities and expenses including legal expenses arising out of or in connection with any and all claims, or third party claims based on material submitted to IFAB.
7. I/we shall be solely responsible for taking all necessary steps to establish and protect my/our copyright in the submitted material, and the IFAB shall have no obligation with respect thereto. The IFAB shall have the right to reproduce all or part of said material for use in its publicity and any and all related communication directly associated with IFAB.
8. I/we have read all of the festival rules, regulations and releases, understand them, and have complied with them. I/we understand that the festival rules, regulations and releases may change or be updated, and that it is my responsibility to read, understand and comply with any changes or updates.
9. All screening copies (BluRays and hard drives) invited to screen at ifab must arrive no later than 21 days before the first screening unless special arrangements are made with the IFAB organizers. IFAB will not be returning DVDs, BluRays or USB or other Memory Sticks.
10.If your film is in English it must be subtitled in either English or German or both
If your film is in ANY other language than English it it must be subtitled in English. It may also contain dual (simultaneous) subtitles in both English and German.
Our required formats are:
- Digital File: (preferred format)
-Container: QuickTime (.mov) or .mp4
-preferred: 1920*1080, 24fps or 25fps
- bitrate: 15-30 MBit/s (15.000-30.000 Kbit/s)
- a typical size for a 90 min. feature should be 12-20 GB
We also accept:
- BluRay-Disc (codefree):
-preferred: 1920*1080, 24fps
-please send 2 disc (including a backup copy) for safety reasons
-the BluRay should have NO MENU, an AUTO START and 5 seconds BLACK at the beginning
- Digital Cinema Package (JPEG2000)
• Entrants must fully comply with these Entry Rules & Regulations, including all deadline, film length, entry material and other requirements
• ALL films must be Germany premieres. ifab is particularly interested in world or European premieres.
• Non-German language works must have Englsih subtitles at the time submitted. Of course we would like to encourage filmmakers to additionally provide German subtitles.
• Promotional films are not eligible (e.g. films promoting tourism, charitable appeals, etc.).
• All submitted films should be no more than 5 Years old by September 2016.
•BluRays and hard drives drives of films invited to screen at ifab must arrive no later than 21 days before the first screening unless special arrangements are made with the ifab organisers.
• ifab regards a short film as 29 minutes or under and a feature film as 30 minutes or over.
PLEASE NOTE – your fee is non-refundable. If your film does not match the criteria listed above and you still submit your film, we will not consider your film and will not refund your fee. Submissions will not be returned.
The final selection of all films presented at the ifab Festival and their placement in the program is the responsibility of ifab's Programming Director.