The GLAS Animation Grant program was designed to support artists and filmmakers making bold, groundbreaking, independent work. In the last four years, we have been able to give out nine grants directly to filmmakers towards the development and production of their original short films.
Our biggest thanks and acknowledgment goes out to the anonymous donor for making this program possible, they have truly built the foundation that directly benefits the artists working in this community.
For the GLAS 2022 GLAS Animation Grant Cycle, we will have two grants in the amount of $3000 each. Grant recipients will also receive a tablet courtesy of Wacom.
The GLAS Animation Grants are to be awarded to individual filmmakers living and working in the United States. They are not currently available to students or for commercial projects (including music videos, tv show pitches or web series)
Below you’ll find information regarding deadlines, criteria, application details, instructions, and FAQs.
TIMELINE - 2022 Grant Application Opens August 1st
Please take a moment to review the criteria and eligibility requirements for the GLAS Animation Grant.
- Filmmaker must be living and legally able to work in the United States.
- Proposed project must be for an independent short film.
- Proposed projects must be able to be completed within 2 years.
- Filmmaker may not be enrolled in an academic institution.
- Filmmaker must have at least one completed film to show.
- Filmmaker must be at least 18 years of age.
- Please note that pilots, web series, music videos, commissioned works, performances, installations, and features are not eligible for this grant at this time.
Below you'll find a breakdown of the materials needed for this application. Each item is required unless otherwise noted.
- Concept Art: original artwork for this project
- Supporting Materials: Storyboard and/or script (optional)
- Budget: Provide us with a breakdown of the budget for the proposed project.
- Links to Previous work
- Link to Animatic (optional)
- Additional Information such as synopsis, director statement, director biography (More details below)
This year we will be using FilmFreeway to accept grant applications. To begin the application process, please follow the steps below. Be sure to read this entire page before proceeding.
- Create a FilmFreeway Account
- Create a New Project
Here you will be prompted to fill out basic information about the project. Please fill out as much information as possible and be sure to include any relevant team members you'll be working with in the credits section.
- Add an Online Screener
Please upload or add a link to the work sample that best represents you.
- Stills Photos - Required
Please upload stills or concept art here
- Files, and Attachments
Please upload your required materials including budget and CV. You can also upload the optional materials such as the script or storyboard here.
Upon submitting you will be prompted to answer the following questions. Please have the information ready.
- Link to website/previous work
- Synopsis: 25-500 words
- Director biography: up to 250 words.
- Production Stage: Briefly describe where you are currently in the production process.
- How will you make use of the GLAS Animation Grant? Describe how you intend to make use of the GLAS Animation Grant should it be awarded to you. Be honest, we understand that if you're working solo, the money might be spent on giving yourself time.
- Director Statement: Up to 500 words: For example, please tell us what the origins of this project are and why it is meaningful to you.