The Future of Film Showcase (FOFS) is a Canadian not-for-profit media arts organization presenting short films and debut feature films from emerging Canadian Filmmakers, while at a crucial stage in their emergence as an artist and storyteller. FOFS elevates work by women, BIPOC, LGBTQ2S+, and other emerging creatives from traditionally marginalized communities, and fosters the future of Canadian film by providing burgeoning artists and filmmakers with professional development opportunities, as well as a national platform through an annual film festival.
FOFS 2023 will be a hybrid festival of virtual and in-person screenings. All government protocols will be strictly observed.
Award winners filmmakers at the Festival will be offered a broadcast deal with CBC Gem should their film be invited to screen at the Future of Film Showcase.
The Future of Film Showcase is a qualifying festival by the Academy of Canadian Cinema & Television.
"The festival (FOFS) has grown in scale thanks to its expanding audience and partnerships, attracting a similar demographic of its filmmakers – Canadians 18 to 40, eager to support independent Canadian filmmaking" - Playback Magazine
As always, we have no premiere or production timeline requirements. All films that have screened online as a part of a film festival are also eligible for consideration.
FOFS will not honor any requests for submission-fee refunds. Refunds will not be issued to any Applicant for any submission, regardless of selection for FOFS 2023, for any reason, including changes to FOFS 2023’s dates, venues, or format that FOFS may announce at any time.
People's Choice Award for Best Film
Best Film Award
To be eligible for submission, your short film must meet the following criteria:
• Studying Film in a Canadian institution at the time of production.
• Very little to no distribution of their work (for example, your films exclusive rights have not been purchased for distribution throughout Canada).
• Has not received significant funding, including Telefilm production funding, but excluding Talent to Watch funding.
• Has not screened at more than 10 of the Film Festivals listed here: https://telefilm.ca/wp-content/uploads/annexes-programme-de-promotion-internationale-en13-mai-2021.pdf
• All entries must be either in English or contain English subtitles. Non-English entries submitted without subtitles or supplementary printed translations will be automatically disqualified.
• Future of Film Showcase accepts entries via FilmFreeway.com, a user-friendly submissions platform. FilmFreeway offers HD online screeners via Vimeo and YouTube.
Terms and Conditions:
• All genres will be considered for inclusion in the festival. Once a work has been submitted, it may not be withdrawn.
• Entrant confirms and warrants required legal authority to submit the entry into the Festival and to use all music, images and content in the entry.
• Entrant will allow usage of clips from the entry and all related publicity material submitted for promotional use in print, web and at live Festival events.
• If selected, full details of your work, including an image, short synopsis, short biography and website link will be included in our website and/or the festival program.
• Entrants shall inform the festival of any change to contact details.
• Entrant confirms that the work provided is a Canadian Production and, if requested, will provide any form of verification to demonstrate such a declaration is the truth
• Future of Film Showcase is hereby granted the right to utilize an excerpt from any film submitted for promotional purposes. The individual or corporation submitting the film hereby warrants that it is authorized to commit the film for screening, and understands and accepts these requirements and regulations. The Competition reserves the right to refuse entries. The undersigned shall indemnify and hold harmless Future of Film Showcase from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney's fees, and costs of the court) which may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, publicity, screening, and loss of or damage to the screening videos entered. Entries will not be returned.