The Visionfest Screenwriting Competition is a magnificent platform for writers of both, feature length and short subject films, looking to provide original and viable 'blueprints' for tomorrow's new wave of cinematic classics. Open to screenwriters 18 years of age and older, this exciting, competitive forum honors Outstanding Achievement in Screenwriting with awards recognition, sponsored services, & cash prizes. Started in 2004 as a sidebar entity of the New York based film festival, VISIONFEST: THE OTHER FESTIVAL, the Visionfest Screenwriting Competition has grown to become its own little juggernaut for tomorrow's visionaries... today.
VISIONFEST, formerly known as the Guerrilla Film & Video Festival, was started in the summer of 2001. The humbly organized event kept very true to its grass roots moniker, having been initiated virtually without a budget, but was driven by the clear and ambitious mission of showcasing emerging talent and promoting domestic filmmaking.
Staff and other local supporters donated their time and efforts to ensure that the event would unfold with limited glitches, and their dedication certainly paid off. The festival kicked off with two very successful outings in New York City's Tribeca Film Center (the first, presented by Liman Video Rentals; the second, presented by Panasonic), and eventually became VISIONFEST, as it moved to bigger venues, such as the USS Intrepid, NYU's Cantor Film Center, and ultimately, the Tribeca Cinemas, where it ran from 2005 to 2015.
This year, the Executive Board of the Domani Vision Film Society, which is the festival's organizing entity, as a result of the untimely closing of Tribeca Cinemas, have decided to concentrate solely on their Visionfest Screenwriting Competition, moving forth with their ongoing mission to encourage, promote, and stimulate the creative endeavors of independent film artists, with an accentuated focus on screenwriting - the initial leap of faith toward cinematic realization.
Awards & Prizes
Feature Screenplay Competition 2017
The Feature Screenwriting Competition is open to all screenwriters (18 years of age or older) who have a screenplay(s) that is(are) currently unproduced and are looking to get exposure and possibly award recognition for their work. The winning script will receive a $1000 cash prize, as well as some sponsored goods/services from the world renowned InkTip.com. Second and Third Place recipients will also get complimentary InkTip.com listings and awards.
Short Script Contest 2017
Short screenplays (no longer than 30 pages) are accepted in all genres for consideration. Winning script will receive a $300 production grant & other sponsored good/services awards.
Rules & Terms
Applicants must be over 18 years of age and must submit:
One copy of an original screenplay, (5-30 pages for shorts / 80-130 pages for features - any genre) formatted in industry standard screenplay format and written in English.
(Please note: Only original works are accepted. Submissions may not be based, in whole or in part, on material, fictional or nonfictional, produced or unproduced, published or unpublished, unless such material is in the "public domain" or if was originally created and published/produced by the applicant, in another medium and a copy of such manuscript or project can be provided for verification).
No revisions or updated versions will be accepted beyond the initial submission.
A completed application form and appropriate entry fee.
Applicants may submit multiple entries, however, those must be submitted separately along with respective fee(s) for each separate submission.
DOMANI VISION FILM SOCIETY, based upon its own opinions and voting procedures, reserves the right to grant no awards if there is no entry that qualifies with sufficient merit.
To be 18 years of age or older.
1. That the submitted material is an original work, created solely by the applicant(s) named as author(s) -- or that if it is an "adaptation," the original text is now in the "public domain."
2. The applicant(s) agree(s) to hold Domani Vision Film Society harmless from, and defended against all claims, demands, costs, judgments, losses, expenses (including attorneys fees), and liabilities resulting out of or in connection with any and all claims of third parties, whether or not groundless, based on any stories submitted to the Visionfest Feature Screenwriting Competition and/or Short Script Contest or on any screenplay developed out of such stories.
3. That the submitted material shall be retained by Domani Vision Film Society for archival purposes and reference, with any and all related compensation waived by applicant(s).
4. That the burden of obtaining copyright and all proprietary interests for the submitted material rests solely on the applicant(s).
5. To the accuracy of the information supplied above. Any false or misleading information on this application, or any failure to comply with the rules and regulations set forth by Domani Vision Film Society, may result in disqualification and forfeiture of any awards or cash prizes.