"One of the UK's top film festivals to know about" - London METRO
"A top ten event" - Het Parool
"Culture Calendar" - VOGUE Nederland
"Amsterdam hosts a great cinema event" - iAmsterdam
Inspired by the idea of a cultural revival, we recognize that the digital revolution creates the conditions for a New Renaissance, opening a door for a different set of stories to be told.
Film is a unique medium, and the New Renaissance Film Festival’s mission is to support and champion the best upcoming filmmakers and screenwriters in this new era, to fulfill their dream in telling their stories.
We achieve this by:
(1) actively finding new gems and discovering excellent stories that move us, challenge us and above all inspire us;
(2) promoting talented filmmakers and screenwriters on our social media, with initiatives such as Film of the Week, interviews, and panel discussions during our festivals in London and Amsterdam;
(3) being open to a diversity of different voices and points of view;
(4) providing screenwriters, directors and producers with top industry judges, professional masterclasses and expert script analysis and development to enable them to achieve success;
(5) hosting award-winning films on our pay-per-view distribution platform which benefits the filmmakers; and
(6) attracting sponsors who are passionate about indie film and can help us to nurture the artists we showcase.
ONE OF THE TOP UK FILM FESTIVALS TO KNOW ABOUT!
NRFF was featured recently in the London METRO’s list of TOP UK FILM FESTIVALS, alongside Raindance and Aesthetica. Our top industry judges from the UK and USA enable us to keep standards consistently high.
As of September 2016, NRFF is ranked in the top 20 best reviewed film festivals on FilmFreeway. This platform serves more than 5,000 film festivals around the world. What makes this special is that the ranking (currently #14) is determined by reviews from the filmmakers and screenwriters who have participated in our festival.
A FESTIVAL FOR INSPIRING ARTISTS, STORIES AND STORYTELLERS
This three-day festival is organized by JAN HENDRIK VERSTRATEN and MASSIMO BARBATO who are themselves filmmakers and writers. They believe at the heart of every great film is a great story, one that will inspire an audience and hopefully help to shape culture in a positive way.
NRFF London has several categories for UK and International filmmakers and screenwriters, but very close to our hearts is the YOUNG TALENT AWARD. This is a special award for screenwriting and for short films that will be presented to young talent between the ages of 18-24.
We feel it is important to give those starting out in film a chance to discover their own unique voice and vision, as an artist, and to communicate with a larger audience.
NRFF LONDON 2017
2017 will be our second year in London, a city known for its diversity and innovation in the creative arts. We will screen around 120 narrative shorts, documentaries, animations and music videos over the course of the festival, finishing with an AWARDS CEREMONY.
Running alongside the festival will be a SCREENWRITING COMPETITION and a series of MASTERCLASSES by film industry experts, a filmmaker's PANEL DISCUSSION, Filmmaker Q&A's, and other networking opportunities.
Submissions for 2017 will begin in early November 2016. Please read our guidelines (see below) and competition terms before doing so. The festival will take place on the 18th, 19th and 20th August 2017, and all contestants will be notified at least 6 weeks prior to the event.
BUILDING FOR THE FUTURE
NRFF is growing from the ground up. Our festival under the NRFF name will be launched in Amsterdam in March 2017. Our goal is to enhance the vitality of independent filmmaking with these annual festivals.
Each city will engage with different themes and communities, including the LGBTQ community, giving independents the recognition they deserve.
We know all too well that most filmmakers have to work with a tight budget. Unfortunately however, WE CANNOT WAIVE THE SUBMISSION FEE.
Awards & Prizes
We are in the process of securing lots of exciting 'incentives' for the winners and will make them public soon. Sign up to our mail list to receive our newsletter for the latest festival-related news and special offers! It's free!
Best Narrative International Short, Best Narrative UK Short, Best Animation Short, Best Documentary, Best Music Video, Best Narrative Short made by Young Talent, Best Documentary Short made by a Young Talent, Best 3 Minute Short, Official Selection laurel, Best Director, Best Female Filmmaker, Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Supporting Actor, Best Supporting Actress, Best Child Actor, Best Cinematography, Best Music Score, Best Film of Festival.
Best Feature Screenplay, Best Short Screenplay, Best 3 Minute Screenplay, and Best Short Screenplay written by Young Talent, Finalist.
Rules & Terms
(1) New Renaissance Film Festival is hereby granted the right to utilise an excerpt from any film submitted and accepted for exhibition at the Festival for promotional purposes. (2) The individual or corporation submitting the film hereby warrants that it is authorised to commit the film for screening, and understands and accepts these requirements and regulations.
(3) All entries should be in English or with English subtitles.
(4) All scripts must be original screenplays, for which the applicant(s) hold the copyright. Where the screenplay is based on another piece of work it is the responsibility of the screenwriter to obtain written permission/copyright clearances from the original author or publisher.
(5) The judges reserve the right not to enter into any correspondence after the announcement of the winner.
(6) The applicant shall indemnify and hold harmless New Renaissance Film Festival from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney’s fees, and costs of the court) which may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, publicity, screening, and loss of or damage to the screening videos entered.
(7) We know all too well that most filmmakers have to work with a tight budget. Unfortunately however, WE CANNOT WAIVE THE SUBMISSION FEE.
(8) PLEASE NOTE THAT SUBMISSION FEES ARE NON-REFUNDABLE, DEADLINES, PROGRAMS, VENUES AND DATES MAY CHANGE. ALL RESPONSES TO FILMMAKERS WILL BE BY EMAIL.