The 4th edition of the festival takes place from 2nd through 5th November at the terminal building of New Chitose Airport, Hokkaido,Japan.
New Chitose Airport International Animation Festival which is the world’s first self-contained “airport film festival” was held in 2014 for the first time. Last year, the festival received over 1,200 applications for the competition and had more than 31,000 visitors from all over the world for four days. The one of the world’s most unique events achieved a great success.
At the festival we have a complete short film competition program as well as retrospectives, special curated programs, Q&As, behind the scene screenings and panels, animation installations and more.
You can find more information about a submission on our website.
Awards & Prizes
The International Jury will decide the awards for the International Competition and the Japan Competition.
GRAND PRIX: 1 million JPY
NEW TALENT AWARD: 300,000 JPY
JAPAN GRAND PRIX: 500,000 JPY
The Audience Award is decided through an audience voting system.
AUDIENCE AWARD: 100,000 JPY
Kid’s Jury will select The Kids Award from among the films shown in the Family Program in the International Competition.
KIDS AWARD: memento
The jury for Music Animation Competition will select the award for Music Animation competition.
BEST MUSIC ANIMATION: 200,000 JPY
The festival office will invite a filmmaker or a producer who satisfy certain conditions by covering related costs as described below. The detail is notified of the details by email after the selection.
CONDITIONS FOR INVITATION
Must be one of the following:
(1) A director or producer whose work has been nominated for the International Competition or the Japan Competition and is able to attend the Award Ceremony to be held on November 6, 2016 (one person per film).
(2) A director or producer whose work has been nominated for the Music Animation Competition and is able to attend the screening program during the festival period (schedule TBA; one person per film).
Even if the film is nominated in more than one category, only one person is invited.
IF THE CONDITION IS FULFILLED, THE FESTIVAL WILL COVER
(1) Part of round-trip flight costs (as par the Festival Office regulations)
(2) Accommodation during the festival (applicable only to hotels arranged by the Festival Office and only for one person)
(3) Part of meals during the festival (by meal coupon, as par with Festival Office regulations)
Rules & Terms
New Chitose Airport IAF 2017 is open for submissions from 17th April to 30th June.
(1) Submissions must be animated films with a run time not exceeding 30 minutes, including end credits (all animation techniques acceptable).
(2) Submissions must be works completed in or after 2015.
(3) The director or the producer of the film or the entrant must hold the right to screen the film submitted, and all rights to screen the work during the festival must have been secured.
(4) Films that have previously been submitted to the past editions of the festival will not be accepted.
Multiple submissions from the same entrant are accepted as long as the above conditions are satisfied for each one.
There is no submission fee.
(1) Filmmakers are required to fill out a completed application form via FilmFreeway.
For Japanese and other non-English films, entrants are advised to embed English subtitles.
(2) The official languages of the competition will be Japanese and English.
(3) If the film is selected, the Festival office will translate dialogue from English to Japanese and produce Japanese subtitles. Accordingly, entrants submitting non-Japanese films are requested to draw up an English-language script to support the production of Japanese subtitles. The english dilalogue list must be uploaded via FilmFreeway.
(A) International Competition
(B) Japan Competition
(C) Music Animation Competition
Submissions will be sorted into the relevant category based on judgment by the Festival Office and Selection Committee members. Submissions may be selected for more than one of the categories, which are described below.
This is the main competition of the festival. Kids jury also select an award if the film is nominated in the Family Program in International Competition.
This competition is for films produced in Japan or made by international co-production involving Japan as one of the production countries.
This competition is for films with superior expression in animation and music, such as music videos.
ANNOUNCEMENT OF THE RESULT:
Notification of initial selection results will be announced on late August 2017 (scheduled).
SCREENING OF FILMS SELECTED:
(1) Nominated films will be screened in competition programs during the festival. They will be judged by the jury for each competitions.
(2) Entrants of the film nominated in the competition programs will be asked to send the screening copy to the Festival Office not later than August 31, 2017. Online data storage services may be used for this purpose.
Formats of films for screening: QuickTime ProRes422, QuickTime H.264
*1,920 × 1,080 or higher recommended
*Non-English films must have English subtitles.
Entrants are asked to carefully read and agree to the terms and conditions of the Submission Regulations for Animated Short Film Competition before submitting works.