“The uniqueness and integrity of The Moondance International Film Festival brand, its global reputation for the highest quality, as well as its important mission and goals, and now celebrating our 17th season, is a rare and unmatchable asset. Talented filmmakers, writers and composers from around the world submit their work to the annual Moondance competition; enthusiastic audiences attend the film festival’s screenings of the best indie films, its professional workshops and popular networking events; and sponsors, in-kind donors and friends of Moondance contribute financially to its continuing success, helping the festival to grow and thrive. I am sincerely grateful for this ongoing support! ” ~ Elizabeth English, Moondance Founder & Executive Director
Moondancers are part of an amazing worldwide community; a unique collaboration of multi-talented writers, film score composers and filmmakers. The Moondance mission is to entertain, inform, inspire, encourage and educate.We honor those artists who, through their creative work, actively increase awareness, provide multiple viewpoints, address complex social issues, and strengthen ties between international audiences At Moondance, you can come together with other writers, directors and producers to create new opportunities, develop tools for success and forge new alliances within the international film and entertainment industry.
* Being fearless & bold, Moondance is a unique film festival where monotonous conformity is considered mediocrity, and extravagant individualism, innovation, and experimentation is encouraged, awarded and applauded!
Awards & Prizes
• SPIRIT OF MOONDANCE AWARD
: This award category is for women writers filmmakers & composers. Men may be co-writers or co-filmmakers, but the entry must be submitted by a woman.
• MOONDANCE SEAHORSE AWARD: This award category is for men writers, filmmakers & composers. Women may be co-writers or co-filmmakers, but the entry must be submitted by a man.
• MOONDANCE SANDCASTLE AWARD: This award is for male and female writing, filmmaking or composing teams where both a man and woman work as a directing, writing or composing team on the project.
• MOONDANCE COLUMBINE AWARD: Films and writings may be submitted by either a man, a woman, a male/female team or a young person 18 and under. The work must reflect non-violent conflict resolution, alternatives to violence, or show why violent resolution to conflict is counter-productive. The submitted material should not contain gratuitous violence.
• MOONDANCE DOLPHIN AWARD: This award is for young people 18 years of age or younger, male or female. Moondance accepts submissions for this award in the genres of short narrative, documentary, multi-media, music videos, film scores or animation video film, as well as short screenplays, short stories or short stageplays.
• MOONDANCE CALYPSO AWARD: This award is to encourage a spirit of enterprise in saving the environment, habitats and wildlife by creative individuals from around the world. The award is presented to the person who expands knowledge of our world, seeks to improve our quality of all life on the planet, and contributes to the betterment of humankind.
• MOONDANCE GAIA AWARD: This award is to encourage and inspire contemplative, meditative, spiritual and inspirational films and scripts. The award is presented to the person who seeks to elucidate and improve the spiritual quality of all life on the planet, and contributes to the betterment of the world spirit.
• MOONDANCE ATLANTIS AWARD: This award is for writers, filmmakers & composers who have submitted projects from a foreign country outside the US.
• MOONDANCE STARFISH AWARD: This is an award for comedy projects submitted by writers and filmmakers.
• MOONDANCE SEAGULL AWARD: This award is to honor and celebrate the art of drone cinematography in short films, and offers international recognition for talented & innovative drone filmmakers from around the world.
• THE MOONDANCE ABYSS AWARD: This new Moondance award was created in 2009 for very well-made and meaningful thriller, horror or supernatural films, written works & film scores. An abyss, usually in the ocean, is a chasm that is so deep and vast that its extent is not readily visible, without further exploration. The winning works in this awards category also have a deeper, and often hidden, message, lesson, moral, or important idea that bears further thought.
• MOONDANCE NEPTUNE AWARD: This unique award is presented to a male or female writer, filmmaker or composer, over the age of 75, who has created either a single work of the highest quality or a body of quality work, and who continues to strive for excellence in his or her career in the entertainment industry, and who inspires and encourages others by his or her example.
Rules & Terms
We cordially invite screenwriters and filmmakers, playwrights, short story writers, TV writers, librettists, composers, children’s filmmakers & writers, radio play writers & producers, and young (18 & under), plus seniors (75 & over), music video filmmakers, and multi-media filmmakers to participate in this truly international film festival competition.
REQUIRED SUBMISSION FORMATS
• FILMS: DVD in NTSC or PAL region 0 or 1, or SUBMITTED DIGITALLY
* Films selected for screening at the film festival must be in DCP, with a Blu-ray or DVD back-up.
• WRITTEN WORKS: ON PAPER, BOUND, STAPLED OR WITH FASTENERS, or SUBMITTED DIGITALLY
• MUSIC: CD OR DVD in NTSC or PAL region 0 or 1 or SUBMITTED DIGITALLY
DVDs in NTSC format or SUBMITTED DIGITALLY via Vimeo for US previews are the preferred format for submitting film entries to the competition. Please note film title and total running time (TRT) on the DVD box or envelope. You may also write your info directly onto the face of the DVD itself. If you are not submitting a film via digital online, please send an NTSC formatted DVD for previews and consideration.
If your film submission is selected for screening at the film festival, you will be contacted by e-mail with more details, screening time, venue, and date. The film festival will only screen DCP formats at the film festival. We may also be screening Blu-Ray DVDs.
Films not in the English language must have English subtitles. No dubbed video tapes or DVDs will be accepted.
Please preview your DVD or digital submission before submitting it, to make sure it plays correctly!
Send written submissions in standard industry format, or SUBMITTED DIGITALLY, with a logline and one-page synopsis. The script logline and synopsis can be attached in the script, after the title page. Please have the writer’s name and contact info (including e-mail address) on the title page. Short stories do not need a synopsis.
Screenplays based on other literary material, i.e. adaptations, are accepted & welcomed.
For original TV pilots, Please send the pilot script, a logline and one-page synop of the pilot, a one-page character list and notes on the characters, one page of loglines or mini-synopses of several subsequent episodes, and title page with your contact info. You may bind the entire package in with the pilot script.
You may submit up to three short stories with a single entry form and for a single entry fee, and you are encouraged to send at least three.
* All film and written entries (except short stories) must have a logline included. The logline may be slightly longer, if needed, and may exceed the standard 25-word or 3-line format. Include a one-page synopsis, if you have one.
Spec CDs accepted. The music does not have to be produced in a film. Send CD and NTSC format DVD, or SUBMITTED DIGITALLY if the film with your music has been produced.
RADIO PLAY DRAMA/COMEDY/DOCUMENTARY
Spec radio play scripts and/or produced radio plays on CD or SUBMITTED DIGITALLY accepted.
POSTMARK ENTRY DEADLINE
See this season’s dates on the website. The postmark or submission date is not the deadline date for the submission to be received.
Contest winners will be announced prior to the festival and awards will be presented to the winners during the Moondance Film Festival awards ceremony. The finalists and winners will also be announced in the Moondance e-newsletter and the winning entries will be posted on the Moondance website. No individual e-mail or letter announcements to finalist or winners will be sent out. It’s up to you to read the newsletters and check the website for the status of your submission. News-blog: www.moondancefilmfestival.com/blog
If not submitting digitally, send a copy of written material, DVD, PAL DVD or music CD. DO NOT send originals nor an SASE, as submitted material for previews cannot be returned.
You may enter more than one written work, film, or CD. There is no limit on how many entries you may submit, but each entry must have a separate entry form and entry fee.
Short-story writers are encouraged to submit up to three (3) short stories for a single entry fee. Up to three short stories may be listed on a single entry form.
Films and written works may on spec (not produced) or produced. They may have been written or filmed any time, any year. Stageplays may be submitted even if they have been produced on stage, or published. Short stories may be submitted in book form, if published. Radio plays may submitted even if they have been previously broadcast or podcast online.
All submissions will be acknowledged via email. Include the emails for all individuals named on the entry form who may be interested in learning the results of the competition.
Do not send promotional material, media kits, or film stills with your submission. If your film is selected for screening, we will request the stills at that time.
Screenplays, stageplays , teleplays, radio plays, lyrics, librettos and short stories may be written in English or translated into English for submission to competitions.
We now have readers for scripts in several languages: Spanish, German, Africaans, and Dutch. If you wish to submit a script in a language other than English, please contact, with MIFF FOREIGN LANGUAGE in the subject line and we will give you the address for sending the script or stories.
Feature, short, documentary and animation DVD(s) or PAL tape(s) may be submitted by the screenwriter, director, producer, production company, distributor, animator, editor, lead actor(s), film score composer and/or cinematographer.
Please do not send your submissions in kapok or shredded-paper-filled envelopes! It can ruin a DVD, and it gets all over the Moondance office. Do not fill a box with Styrofoam peanuts! Use bubble-wrap or bubble-wrap-filled envelopes or boxes only. Moondance always recycles!
If sending from an address outside the US, please note on the customs form that it’s a commercial sample, and of no, or minimum $1, value. Moondance cannot pay customs duties to receive your submission.
Moondance reserves the right to decline selecting a semi-finalist, finalist or winner in any category and at any stage of the judging if there are no acceptable entries or finalists in that category.
Please plan to attend the film festival, especially if you’re a finalist or winner, or filmmaker whose film is screened at the event.