Persephone’s Daughters is a literature magazine dedicated to empowering women who have experienced various forms of abuse and degradation.
The film division of Persephone’s Daughters, Girls Don’t Cry, is officially open for submissions. Completed films of any length are eligible as well as screenplays/scripts of any length that abide by the Persephone’s Daughters mission to empower women who have experienced various forms of abuse and degradation.
Awards & Prizes
Films selected for entry will be heavily featured and promoted on our website and all our social media to our readers, viewers and audience, and you will receive Official Selection Laurels for promotional material. Films and scripts will stay featured on our site indefinitely.
Rules & Terms
Rules and Terms: By submitting your film or screenplay/script you have read and agreed to all rules and terms and conditions. If you have any further questions, please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please inform us if you are making a simultaneous submission. WE DO NOT PUBLISH OR FEATURE TRAILERS, ONLY COMPLETED FILMS.
If you are submitting simultaneously, please be aware that if our festival accepts your film, we have the right to feature the work. Please refrain from submitting to our festival if other festivals you are submitting to don't accept simultaneous submissions.
PLEASE PROVIDE A TRIGGER WARNING IN YOUR SUBMISSION IF YOUR FILM CONTAINS CONTENT ABOUT ANY SORT OF ABUSE OR VIOLENCE. IF NO TRIGGER WARNING IS PROVIDED, THE FILM WILL BE DECLINED.
We do not provide feedback as to why films were declined.
1. Online screeners accepted via FilmFreeway, YouTube or Vimeo. If YouTube, send us a link to your unlisted video. If Vimeo, send us a link and password to your private video. All links must have functional passwords; links must be sent to us via email@example.com. If a password or code is changed, please notify us immediately at the aforementioned email address.
2. Entries have no completion date criteria. Films from the 90’s are welcome as far as we’re concerned, just as long as you’re the one who created them.
3. There is no premiere requirement for films.
4. Works in progress are accepted.
5. International submissions are welcome and encouraged. International films must either have English as the primary language or must be subtitled.
6. Screenplays/scripts currently are not eligible for print publication and will be exclusive to the online website.
7. The submission window is open indefinitely.
8. No racist, sexist, homophobic, or pornographic work, please.
9. If your film is accepted for Official Selection, email a presskit including a headshot of the director and main cast and bios of the director and main cast.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS: By entering your film for consideration for the Persephone’s Daughters film division, Girls Don’t Cry, you authorize that your work is cleared for exhibition and accept full legal responsibility for the intellectual property therein. An accepted submission constitutes permission to exhibit your work on our website. Persephone’s Daughters is also hereby granted the right to utilize an excerpt from any film submitted and accepted for promotional or educational purposes. The undersigned shall indemnify and hold harmless Persephone’s Daughters from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney’s fees, and costs of the court) which may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, publicity, and screening. Persephone’s Daughters may opt to withdraw your work from the website at any time for any reason.