The Estes Valley is a unique place to live, learn, and play. The mountainous landscape has stunning views, remarkable recreational opportunities, and provides important habitat to wildlife throughout the region. Through this film festival, students will find inspiration from open spaces in the Estes Valley to create films related to nature and the outdoors. Films that are approved for submission will be screened to a local audience, where students will have the opportunity to share their unique perspectives with the community.
Films will be evaluated by a panel of local judges, and filmmakers will participate in a Q&A session. The 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners will be announced at the high school's Scholarship Awards Night on May 11th when the 1st place film will be screened once again.
This event is sponsored by the Estes Valley Land Trust (EVLT) and Bird & Jim Restaurant, who have provided funding for student scholarships.
A panel of judges will select three winners, who will receive the following scholarship amounts:
1st Prize - $5,000
2nd Prize - $2,000
3rd Prize - $1,000
• Films must be submitted through the FilmFreeway portal by Monday, April 11th at 5pm. If you are unable to submit using this portal, please contact us.
• Currently enrolled Estes Park High School Juniors and Seniors may participate. Participants must plan to enroll in a college, trade school, or other educational institution within 20 months of graduation (this allows for a gap year after graduation). Students are not required to attend a 4-year college or pursue a natural resource degree in order to participate.
• Multiple students may submit one film as a group and split scholarship proceeds evenly.
• Film submissions must relate to the natural environment and the outdoors.
• Films should be between 3-10 minutes long.
• Films in any language are acceptable. However, films in languages other than English must include subtitles.
• The film festival screening will be open to all ages. Film content must be family-friendly and must not include any offensive or inappropriate themes, language, or imagery. Feel free to contact us if you are unsure whether your film would qualify.
• A panel of local judges will review all submitted films to determine if they are acceptable for screening at the film festival. Students will be notified of their acceptance into the film festival by Friday, April 15th. Students will receive an email with information on the film festival screening, including sample questions to help prepare for the Question & Answer portion of the event.
Film Festival Screening
• Accepted films will be screened in front of a local audience on April 19th. Filmmakers will receive more information about the festival prior to the event, including some ways to prepare. Filmmakers are expected to attend the screening to answer questions from the judges. Filmmaker responses will be considered as part of the judging process.
Judging and Awards
• Films will be judged on originality/creativity, complexity, cinematography, pacing, and relation to the environmental theme. Student engagement and responses during the Question & Answer portion of the event will also be considered by the judges. The judges will select a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winner. Winners will be announced at the high school's awards ceremony in May.
• There are no fees to participate in this film festival.
Rights & Releases:
• Filmmakers grant EVLT a non-exclusive, non-transferable, royalty-free right and license to use, copy, and display the submitted film (or segments of the film) for the purpose of (i) showing the film one or more times over the course of the festival; (ii) sharing the film with EVLT's membership network; (iii) helping with EVLT's public outreach and fundraising activities; and (iv) for archival purposes. Our use of your content in this manner does not grant EVLT any ownership of your copyright or intellectual property.
• If your film is accepted into the film festival, you will be required to sign a release form. If you are under 18 years old, a parent or guardian's signature will also be required.