CELEBRATING THE WINTER HUMAN-POWERED EXPERIENCE
The Backcountry Film Festival is produced each year by Winter Wildlands Alliance as a celebration of the human-powered experience and a gathering place for the backcountry snowsports community.
WWA is a nonprofit organization working at the national level to inspire and educate the backcountry community to protect and care for their winter landscapes.
Funds raised at each Festival screening stay in the local community to support human-powered recreation and conservation efforts, winter education and avalanche/safety programs and to raise awareness of winter management issues.
While we accept films year-round, the 2021-22 Backcountry Film Festival will tour over 100 cities from October 2021 to May 2022. We are currently planning to have both in-person and virtual event experiences due to COVID19.
Immerse yourself in a night of films that capture the spirit of winter. Adventure, environment and climate, youth outdoors, ski culture- you’ll find it all in this award winning lineup.
Use password HUMANPOWER to submit.
Upon submitting to the Winter Wildlands Alliance's Backcountry Film Festival (BCFF) the filmmaker(s) grant permission for the following:
1. BCFF is permitted to screen accepted films at the Festival premiere in Boise, ID, and any showings that are part of our National Tour.
2. BCFF is granted the royalty-free, non-exclusive right and license to exhibit any and all films, publicity materials related to the film - including but not limited to stills, press releases, bios, and trailers - in whole or in part, without limitation to territory, and /or to include said publicity materials with other works in any form, media, or technology. Filmmakers may request in writing to opt out of this clause.
3. The filmmaker(s) warrants and represents to BCFF that he/she alone created the work, possesses unencumbered title thereto and has the right to enter into this Agreement with BCFF. The filmmaker(s) further warrants and represents that the work is original and does not infringe upon the title, literary or musical property or copyright of any other work or statutory, common law or other rights (including rights of privacy) of any person, firm or corporation. BCFF is not responsible for any infringement of such rights.
4. It is the responsibility of the filmmaker(s) to obtain rights and permission for use of music, film footage, and all other creative work related to their films prior to entering the Winter Wildlands Alliance's Backcountry Film Festival. BCFF is not responsible for any infringement of such rights.
5. Works in progress WILL be accepted for submission. Please include information as to what still needs to be completed (color correction, score, etc.) and deadline for completion with the submission information.
If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.
CHECK LIST: (please include the following with your entry)
1. Make sure your film is between 3 to 20 minutes and tells an authentic story of backcountry, human-powered recreation or environmental preservation. Submissions are by October 1, 2022 to be considered for the new program. We prefer 16:9 aspect ratio at HDTV 1920×1080 square pixels. Submitted films should either be in English or include English subtitles.
2. Provide the following information:
Film contact’s full name, email/phone number, and location
Link to an online screener (will only be shared with BCFF jury)
Film production company/media group and any corporate partnerships/sponsorships to be aware of (if applicable)
Film information – logline, length, website and social media links
Backup Contact Info (for y’all who live off the grid)
Film stillshots in jpeg format (300dpi preferred)
(Can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org).
Submission is free.