AZYL SHORTS is a unique event in Slovakia as well as in Central Europe. We create a space for presenting the authors of short films and music videos. Our main goal is not only to carefully prepare the competition itself, but to create a platform which will ensure the promotion of the artists to the professional and general public alike.
We would be delight to invite you to our four days event in Banská Bystrica in October 2023.
We have 3 competitive categories:
- 1 Minute Films
- 5 Minute Films
- Music videos
There will be screenings of not only the competitive sections of the festival, but also the best shorts from Oscars, Cannes and other well–known festivals.
Our jury from V4 countries will be the programmers for the V4 shorts section choosing the best films from their countries.
We are preparing great side events – masterclasses, discussion, film workshop for young filmmakers and of course evening off-program as concerts and parties with artists from V4 countries.
The best films from the festival will be presented not only in Slovakia, but also at different parts of the world, such as Hungary, Poland or Czech Republic, where the viewers will be able to see the best-ranked movies of the current year – The Best of AZYL 2023.
Three winners (one in each category) will receive valuable prizes from iStore and Home media Production with a total value of 6,000 EUR.
Movie Competition Participation Conditions
1. Anyone can enter the competition.
2. Film submitted into the competition must be shorter than one minute or cannot exceed the duration of five minutes. Movies cannot be made before 2021.
3. The participant must complete the festival form truthfully and accurately. With submitting the form, the participant automatically accepts the Festival Terms and Conditions.
4. The participant must pay the entry fee , for Earlybird deadline – 3,00 €, for Regular deadline – 6 € and for Late deadline – 9 €, (payment is not required for the schools – the maximum number of films per one school is 5).
5. The participants must submit their films by June 30th, 2023. Registrations after this date will be deemed invalid.
6. The participant is responsible for their movie and guarantees that it is not burdened by any liabilities which would breach or violate the author or screening rights with 3rd parties.
7. Submitted movies can be screened at festivals and events other than the AZYL Shorts 2023.
8. The festival has no topic or theme limitations. Movies submitted can be a motion picture, animated movie, an experimental film, dance video or a music clip etc.
9. Film must be submitted in the format that is outlined by the registration form. If the movie contains any dialogues in a foreign language, a dialog list or English subtitles must be attached to the registration.
A. General Licence Provisions
1. The submitter declares the ownership of property rights to the submitted audio-visual work (hereinafter referred to as ‘film’) at least to the extent necessary to grant a licence to the organiser according to the licence conditions presented here.
2. The festival organiser, the acquirer of the licence, is AZYL Production s.r.o., based at Panenská 13, 811 03 Bratislava, Slovak Republic, registration number: 35799498, VAT identification number: SK2020235107, registered in the District Court’s Business Register of the Slovak Republic Bratislava 1, section: Sro, insert no.: 22823/B.
3. The submitter grants a non-exclusive film licence to the festival organiser with the possibility of sublicensing, for the period of 10 years for a particular territory to an extent not limited in any other way (especially regarding the amount, number or technology).
4. The submitter grants a licence to the organiser of the festival free of charge.
B. Licence for films submitted to the competitive section
1. The submitter grants a film licence to the festival organiser for any known kind of usage on the territory of the Slovak Republic, including the following kinds of usage:
1.1 Public film screening at festivals and film presentations.
1.2 Internet public access to the film.
1.3 Broadcasting the film on a television programme.
1.4 Audio-visual usage of the film for the purposes of festival promotion and the subsequent usage of these film derivatives for the promotion of the festival.
2. The submitter grants a film licence to the festival organiser for the territory of the whole world (with the exception of Slovakia) for the following kinds of usage:
2.1 Public film screening at international film festivals and international film presentations.
2.2 Audio-visual usage of the film for the purposes of festival promotion and subsequent usage of these film derivatives for the promotion of the festival.
C. Licence for films submitted to the non-competitive section
1. Unless the submitter has a different agreement with the festival organizer, the submitter grants a film licence to the festival organizer for the territory of the Slovak republic according to article B, section no. 1.
2. Unless the submitter has a different agreement with the festival organizer, the submitter grants a film licence to the festival organizer for the territory of the whole world (with the exception of Slovakia) according to article B, section no. 2.
3. The competitor must truthfully fill in and submit the festival form to express agreement with the conditions of festival participation, especially with the competition rules, and must also grant a film licence in accordance with the Licence Conditions.
Response from festival:
Hey Chris, you happen to be the first in years having an issue with this. What we do is we have some partner festivals with wich we share our films. If they are interested we make connection with the author so they make their separate deal. We just like to spread good films to audiences, because... well we believe it is good for the author to be seen.
As for our screenings we do those, again, we believe it is good to be seen. We do not get paid for them, we just believe it is good to help shorts and authors to be seen.