*Information Regarding COVID-19 and Our Festival*
Wild & Scenic Film Festival staff are in the early planning stages of our 2022 event. We are hopeful that an in-person or hybrid virtual + in-person event will be possible. If an in-person event is unable to be held for any reason, we will pivot to a virtual festival rather than postpone or cancel. Updates will be posted here as more information becomes available and further decisions are made.
(Updated March 1, 2021)
ABOUT THE FESTIVAL
In January 2022, SYRCL’s (South Yuba River Citizens League) 20th Annual Wild & Scenic® Film Festival returns with an incredible selection of films to change your world. Each year, the Wild & Scenic Film Festival draws top filmmakers, celebrities, leading activists, social innovators and well-known world adventurers to the historic downtowns of Nevada City and Grass Valley, California.
ABOUT THE FILMS
Wild & Scenic will feature environmental and adventure films from around the world that illustrate the earth’s beauty, the challenges facing our planet, and the work communities are doing to protect the environment. We welcome shorts and features about nature, community activism, intentional adventure, conservation, health, water, energy, climate change, wildlife, environmental justice, food, and farming. Our objective is to inform, inspire, and ignite solutions and possibilities to restore the earth and human communities while creating a positive future for the next generation, all through stellar filmmaking, beautiful cinematography, and first-rate storytelling. Films are curated into themed tracks, which pair projects with complimentary subject matter or ideas to create a cinematic journey for audiences.
Each year, filmmakers and activists travel from around the globe to speak to festival-goers following their respective films for Q&A, in workshops held in the festival’s activist center, and in talks and chats throughout the weekend. There are many opportunities for filmmakers to connect with peers, audiences, and press alike.
While all films will be considered, we are especially interested in films that interpret our theme, which will be announced Spring 2021.
Ten "Yubie" awards are given each year:
Best of Festival
Spirit of Activism
Most Inspiring Adventure Film
Best in Theme
Best Short Short
Jury Award (x2)
John de Graaf Environmental Filmmaking Award
Three Honorable Mention certificates are awarded by our Jury, in addition to a Best Kids Film and Honorable Mention, awarded by our Kids Jury.
1. Submission copies must be submitted online (no DVDs, Blu-rays, DCPs, thumb drives, or other physical media will be considered)
2. All entries selected into our 2022 festival grants Wild & Scenic Film Festival the right to use film stills and portions of accepted films for promotional purposes.
3. If accepted, final screening copies must arrive at the SYRCL office no later than November 25, 2021, or the entry will not be included in the festival. Filmmakers are responsible for shipping costs to the festival. All copies of the films become SYRCL's property unless otherwise directed.
4. Non-English entries must be submitted with English subtitles.
5. Entry fees are nonrefundable.
6. Only films completed after January 1, 2020 will be considered for Official Selection, unless otherwise approved.
7. Wild & Scenic does not show works in progress, unless otherwise approved. Works in progress will be considered, but programmers cannot guarantee that any screeners updated after submission will be reviewed. Be prepared to have your original screener be reviewed. Completed projects are preferred.
8. As Wild & Scenic is a fundraiser for an environmental non-profit, we are only able to offer a limited number of fee waivers, and we cannot guarantee them from year to year. An application to request a waiver will become available Spring 2021.
9. By submitting your project, you acknowledge that:
-Your film is not subject to any litigation nor is it threatened by any litigation
-You are duly authorized to have this film be screened at the festival
-You have secured the rights to any and all music and/or footage used in the film
-You fully indemnify and hold SYRCL and Wild & Scenic Film Festival completely harmless from any and all claims whatsoever that may arise as a result of usage of submitted materials.