Festival Announcement : Stan Winston School of Character Arts - Prize Sponsor for 2022.
Festival Announcement : Crixus Studios - Prize Sponsor for 2022.
2022. WISFFF opens for the new season very soon.… we hope going forward into 2022 is happy, healthy, and prosperous time for all. For many (ourselves included) 2020-2021 has been and continues to be tough for many reasons. Love to you all.
The Wild Indie Sci-Fi and Fantasy Film Festival 2021 was hosted at the Greenwich IMAX Odeon Theatre in London on the 29th May 2021, in the IMAX capable screen 9. And… “Oh My Word It Looked Good!!”. The large screen and auditorium enabled us to have a safe and socially distanced crowd, our thanks to Odeon for making the bigger screen available. We had an awesome selection of films at the screening, and many more films on the online version of the festival. They are still available on the festival site until the end of August. There are some photos of the event on here too.
In truth… on the 29th May… it was just really nice to be back in a cinema sharing film-maker magic with like minds.
The 2021 festival had event prizes sponsored by Foundry (the DVFX software wizards), Stan Winston School of Character Arts (the Physical VFX wizards), Aputure (the best bang for the buck lighting out there), Crixus Studios (great studio facilities in London), and Final Draft (industry standard writing software for your next great script). The awards included the 2-minute Sci-Fi Challenge in collaboration with London Short Film. There were a number of challenges, awards and prizes for Micro (2min), Mini (5min), and Short (20min) film categories within the genre. If you want to know more, keep an eye out for the event digest via social media in September.
The 2021 trailer can be viewed on here:
We’ll confirm prizes and news for this new season the way many of you have got used to… on here in the banner and via the social media channels, particularly the Facebook Page, mainly because the text isn’t limited in characters like other channels. We have pencilled the festival date for early May, 2022 but that may change slightly. Opening date is likely 14th August, 2021. Close of entries will be 22nd March, 2022.
To answer a question asked all the time. Yes HORROR is included.
The festival is open to all (UK, Worldwide, The Up/Down/LSide/RSide Dimensions, even the Outer Spiral Arm (of the Galaxy). English language films are preferred; other languages should be closed captioned to English. Awards are listed in full below.
This event is completely independent of Wild Indie's production (but ask us if you want to find out about some of those).
Awards & Prizes
1. The aim is for the event to be screened at our now regular venue of the Greenwich Odeon, London with fantastic picture and sound quality in front of an audience of genre fans, producers, professionals and non-professional filmmakers.
2. A laurel for all "Official Selection" will be awarded for all films short-listed. We will notify some shortlisted entries after “normal” deadline date. Specific nominations (e.g. Cinematography) will also receive "nominations" laurels to specify recognition in that field.
3. Currently laurels and awards will be presented for shortlists, official selections, and winners for categories:
Overall Best Film
2 Min Sci-Fi Challenge Best Film
Best Physical SFX
Best Digital SFX
Best Production Design
Best First Time Filmmaker
Best Restricted Budget (Under $3000)
Best Student Film
Best Young Filmmaker (under 25)
Best Animated Film
Best Fan Film
Bet Stunts/Action Sequence
Keep It Reel Award
Where appropriate - Runner's Up awards will also be given from the nominees.
(up to 30 Secs additional reel time for credits is acceptable for the 2 min)
(up to 60 Secs additional reel time for credits is acceptable for the 10 min)
(up to 120 Secs additional reel time for credits is acceptable for the 25 min)
(The judges maintain the right to; give joint awards or not award a category award if a winner/s can not be clearly separated).
6. The prizes will be announced in the next few weeks, keep an eye out for notifications. Last year they took off like a SLS Rocket and ended up with great prizes for multiple awards.
7. The Keep it Real Award – Is an award/laurel for the best application of real science in a film.
Whilst the film festival is independent, Wild Indie is the event organiser's company. We do "Sciencey stuff" of various clients. One of the Directors is a NASA Astrobiology Institute Co-Investigator for education resources of a project involved in creating the sensor arrays for space probes. We've worked on subjects from Shark Tagging to information films for UNEP about chemical pollution. Keep your science real (but entertaining).. you'll get a shout from us.
8. The new best screenplay/script prize will be awarded to completed films that have entered the festival. Film entries have the option to send an accompanying script or screenplay for consideration.
Rules & Terms
Terms and Conditions
1. All filmmakers/applicants or entity submitting a film to the Wild Indie Sci-Fi and Fantasy Film Festival (hereafter known as ‘WISFFF’, ‘The Windies”, ‘We’, ‘Us” and ‘Our”), accept and agree to comply with the following Terms and Conditions
2. We only accept online registrations and submissions to be assessed. We accept films in any language… However, films not made in English must have English subtitles.
3. The person submitting a film to The Windies is ‘You’ or ‘Your’ and You agree that Your film may be screened at The Windies event, if it is selected.
4. We only accept films that have been produced after 5th May 2019 (waivers may be requested).
5. All submission fees are non refundable.
6. How to Submit
• Complete and submit Your online submission form.
• Pay relevant Submission fee
• You will receive confirmation of Your successful registration
• Films must be submitted via an online platform.
Student and Young Filmmaker category entrants must be registered in a recognised film school, university, college, high school, middle school or elementary school with proof of ID from the institution to qualify for the relevant fees.
You must supply the following:
• Your Student ID
• Name of school, college or university
• Name of Your Course
• Lecture or teacher
• Email of lecturer or teacher
7. Filmmakers submitting must also supply:
• Production credits and contact details
• 5 Photos for promotional purposes, no smaller than 2048 x 1152 pixels
• Media pack for promotional use by The Wild Indie Film Festival
• Film Poster
• A short trailer of the film (Optional)
8. All films will be accepted and assessed with the view to screening them at a The Windies event(s). However, only some films will be included in the Official Selection will be screened at a cinema venue(s). If Your entry is selected as part of the Official Selection for The Windies, You must provide Us with a Digital Cinema Package (DCP) in order for it to be screened. You will receive instructions on how to submit your DCP. Where we can we will help.
9. Cinema screenings are scheduled during the festival and or event at the discretion of The Windies. We undertake to make every effort to adhere to the published schedule program, however, The Windies reserves the right to alter this schedule and venue at any time for any reason. The Windies does not accept any liability for any costs claimed to arise as a result of a change in the scheduling.
10. Awards may be presented during the The Windies, at the discretion of the organisers and the Jury Panel. All decisions are final.
11. By submitting a film, You grant us the right to screen Your film at one or more The Windies Film Festival event(s), copy and/or reproduce, modify, adapt and any part thereof, up to one (1) minute of the film submission. We may also use Your submission and any other promotional material/photo’s and/or information submitted by You to communicate it to the public in all media, including via our website and publicity materials, or to advertise and promote The Windies, event(s), its products and services, or all, and to showcase Your film.
12. You own the copyright to Your film and your script/screenplay as its author and represent and warrant that You have (and will continue to have during the duration of The Windies and thereafter) all necessary licenses, rights, consents, and permissions we need to use Your film and You will provide evidence of such on our reasonable request.
13. We accept no responsibility for any damage, loss, liabilities, injury or disappointment incurred or suffered by any person as a result of submitting a film to The Windies and its curation and all related events.
14. You indemnify and hold harmless The Windies (Wild Indie Ltd) and all associated companies and individuals (Jury Panel, staff, etc) from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney’s fees, and costs of the court) which may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, publicity, screening, and loss of or damage to the screening materials entered.
15. Submissions for the 2 SciFi Challenge in collaboration with London Short Film may also be used by London Short Film for their purposes in the same fashion as described above. The same indemnities applied to The Windies will apply to London Short Film. (In essence what we are saying is if you copy someone else, or breach copyright, it is down to You deal with the consequences).
For further information contact The Wild Indie Sci-Fi and Fantasy Film Festival: email@example.com