White Oryx International Short Film Festival (WOIS Film Fest) is an initiative by the School of Media & Communication (SoMC), Manipal Academy of Higher Education (MAHE) - Dubai Campus, to create an opportunity to showcase, celebrate, and nurture the art and culture of filmmaking in the UAE.
Regarded to be the biggest short film event in Dubai, the festival has become a unique platform for creative minds in the UAE, especially student and amateur filmmakers, to showcase their works of passion and develop their talents through the festival's learning atmosphere comprising of free film screenings, workshops, competitions, panel discussions, and networking opportunities. In addition, attendees of the festival are presented with programming that's diverse in genre, theme, and style through a non-competitive category that welcomes short films from all over the world.
The inaugural edition in 2018 was an extravagant four-day event that featured 70 short films (from more than 3000 submissions), 9 workshops, a panel discussion, and an award ceremony where the winning entries were presented with the 'Golden Oryx Awards' accompanied by a 'Complete Filmmaking Kit'.
Submission extended for UAE Shorts and GCC Shorts and Middleeast Music Videos to 31st January. To avail, the extension, use the waiver code: WOIS2020
The Golden Oryx Award includes a memento, certificate, and a 'Complete Filmmaking Kit' consisting of a camera, microphones, lights, tripods, and carry bags.
1. Best Short Film - UAE
2. Best Short Film - UAE University
3. Best Short Film - UAE School
4. Best Short Film - GCC Shorts (Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia)
5. Best Music Video - MiddleEast
6. Best Short Film - International
Please note that international submissions are not in competition for the Golden Oryx Awards, but may be eligible for an Audience Favorite award (to be finalized).
1. Overall runtime must not exceed 20 minutes.
2. Completed within the 12 months leading to the festival.
3. Languages other than English must accompany English subtitles.
4. Content should be suitable for an audience including family and children.
5. Must own all necessary copyrights or permissions from the copyright holders.
6. Must respond to communications from the festival team within 3 working days.
7. Poster, trailer, and snippets from the entry may be used for promotional activities.
8. Festival reserves the right to modify these rules or offer waivers as per their discretion.