WeMakeFilms is a filmmaking collaborative with over 600 members. Our members submit scripts and then vote on their preferred script. The winning script is then made and all the members apply for every role, from Director to Runner. The films then go through a post-production phase and they are then submitted to film festivals. We make a film every 4 to 6 weeks, on average.
Whilst submitting our own films to film festivals, we discovered that our films were up against films with much higher budgets than ours typically enjoy.
Sometimes the production budgets for short films can be £15,000+. This means we are competing on an uneven playing field. After some research, I discovered that this is a fairly recent phenomenon.
Nowadays, it is very easy for films with big budgets to enter "low level" festivals with a click of a button, whereas in the past, it was too expensive and took too much effort. This means that small indie filmmakers don't get much of a look in. So we have decided to run a film festival that levels the playing field.
We will have 3 main categories of short films (under 15 mins), any genre. They will be categorised by the production budget value.
The first category will be short films with a production value of under £500/$650. The second will be under £1,500/$1,900. The final main category is with a production value of under £5000/$6000. So, if the film has an obviously higher production value, the film will be rejected. If we deem it as being close we may contact you to have a discussion.
We're looking for the good stories, where the filmmakers have had to make something out of nothing, which is kind of what we have to do at WeMakeFilms.
*** Corona Virus update ***
At the time of opening, the lockdown is still in force, with no change in sight, so currently, we cannot hold a live event so it will be an online festival this time.
Filmmakers will still be able to see the comments from the audience and we will provide a transcript of the comments and responses. So that you can use them in your promotion of the film.
We give physical awards (see images) in each category for:-
Audience Award Best Film
To be eligible for sub-categories you have to have selected one of the main categories.
Best Director of Photography
Best Sound Design
Best Music Score
Please Note: Although only one film from each main category can win the 'Best Film Award' we can issue the other awards to any film that reaches Semi-Finalist status, should we deem the award appropriate.
Our selection sequence is as follows:-
* Selected (Films that are entering final judging sequence)
* Semi-finalist (12 Films per category)
* Finalist ( Films selected for screening )
Only the finalist films will be screened at the WeMakeFilms Online Film Festival on the 3rd of October 2020.
Short Films must be under 15 minutes including the credits.
1. The Film Festival - means the WeMakeFilms Festival to be held during 2020.
2. The Organiser - means WeMakeFilms and any companies, including but not limited to, that are involved on WeMakeFilms behalf in any aspect of this competition.
3. The Film means the entry submitted to the WeMakeFilms Festival.
4. The Film, entered into the Film Festival, may be generated using any medium (e.g. sequenced stills, digital, video, film, animation, etc.). The Film can be in colour or black & white and must be submitted via an online screener. Films can be of any genre such as documentary, comedy, drama, etc. but must not be of a commercial nature, i.e. promote a product, brand or company.
5. If the Film includes a soundtrack which is not original (i.e. composed and recorded by yourself) you MUST obtain clearance for use in the Film. Please contact the bodies established in your country that handle licensing of music.
6. The Organiser reserves the right to disqualify incomplete, altered or illegible entries.
7. No submission (this is includes dvd's and application forms) are to be sent physically. WeMakeFilms is an environmentally friendly festival that only accepts online submission.
8. Multiple entries per person are permitted and an entry form must be completed for each film submitted. Payment of entry does not guarantee acceptance to the Festival and is non-refundable under any circumstances.
9. The Organiser will undertake the selection process and the judging criteria of the Film will be based on the film originality, story, style, impact and overall finished quality.
10. The judges shall use absolute discretion in judging the Film and their decisions shall be final. No correspondence or appeals process shall be entered into to explain, clarify or verify the judges' decisions.
11. Entrants of selected films will be notified by email. If selected, you must deliver the Film and promotional material such as still images, poster and filmmaker biographies to the Organiser in the requested format within 14 days of the request. Failure to do so may lead to the withdrawal of your film from the festival programme.
12. You grant the Organiser the non-exclusive right to screen the film online or in London for the purposes of promoting the Film, the Film Festival and the Organisers. You grant the Organiser permission to use excerpts of the Film in trailers, clips and compilation videos for the purposes of promoting the Film, the Film Festival and the Organisers. You grant the Organiser permission to make copies of the Film and distribute it to press for the purposes of promoting the Film, the Film Festival and the Organisers.
13. International films welcome. However, all films must be in English or have English subtitles.
14. The Organiser will issue a receipt for submissions by email. If your receipt is not received within 14 working days after your submission please contact WeMakeFilms through the email address on firstname.lastname@example.org
15. You warrant to the Organiser that the Film is wholly original to you and does not infringe the rights of any third party and that you own the copyright in respect of your film and shall continue to keep indemnified the Organiser, their servants and agents against all loss, liability, claims or costs (including legal fees) incurred, awarded or agreed by the Organisers as a direct result of reasonably foreseeable consequence of any breach or non-performance of any of the represented warranties or undertakings by you.
16. Selected films and the festival programme will be announced on www.wemakefilms.net
17. The festival does not offer screening fees for its films. By submitting through FilmFreeway you are agreeing to NOT request a screening fee as a requirement for your film's participation in the festival, should your film get selected for the program.
18. Since the festival only requires a nominal entry fee, we will NOT accept requests for other entry fee waivers.
19. This agreement will be construed under and subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales.