New York City's Winter Film Awards (WFA) is a volunteer-run and operated celebration of the diversity of local and international film-making. We showcase creative fresh voices from emerging filmmakers worldwide in all genres and lengths – feature length and shorts, narrative fiction, documentary, animation, horror, web series and music videos.
Our mission is to promote diversity, bridge the opportunity divide and provide a platform for under-represented artists and a variety of genres, viewpoints and approaches. We believe that only by seeing others’ stories can we understand each other and only via an open door can the underrepresented artist enter the room.
We pride ourselves on our diverse collection of Festival selections, allowing our audience to enjoy films they normally wouldn’t think to seek out. For the 2023 Festival, 73 films from 21 countries were screened, half of the films were created by women, half were created by or about people of color.
Works of all genres, forms, and lengths are considered. All selected films are screened at Cinema Village, NYC's top indie cinema in the heart of Greenwich Village. The Festival includes film screenings, educational panels, professional development workshops and industry networking after-parties, which will conclude with a glittering awards ceremony .
Outstanding work will be awarded for each category, along with Best Director, Best Actor/Actress, Outstanding Woman Director, Best Student Film and Best NYC Film.
Winter Film Awards International Film Festival is an IMDB-qualifying festival.
WFA is a minority- and women-owned registered 501(c)3 non-profit organization. We work with all local NYC film schools, colleges, arts high schools and many cultural societies.
Over $75,000 in Swag, Prizes & Distribution Opportunities! Winners will receive prizes and distribution opportunities on various platforms and more!
Winter Film Awards is dedicated to helping emerging filmmakers get recognition and press -- we work to ensure our films get written articles, video promos and red carpet interviews. We create an SEO enhanced page on our website for each accepted film, written reviews for all films over 20 minutes and tons of on-camera interviews.
Please read this agreement carefully before you submit your film. By submitting your film, you expressly acknowledge and agree that you shall be bound by the terms of this agreement.
For additional information about Winter Film Awards, our selection process and what we look for, visit http://winterfilmawards.com/about_us/winter-film-awards-faq/
For any additional information concerning submissions, contact us at email@example.com
1) All films must have been completed not earlier than January 1, 2021.
2) Films must be in English or have English subtitles
3) Winter Film Awards is a non-profit organization and we do not pay Screening Fees
4) Films must be submitted via online screener - we do not accept hardcopies of DVDs
5) Winter Film Awards does not require World Premiere, but appreciates if you notify us if you are either a World Premiere, International Premiere (your first premiere outside your country of origin), North American Premiere or New York Premiere.
6) Submission fees are in U.S. dollars, per film entry. All submissions for Winter Film Awards International Film Festival are to be paid by credit card. The submission fee is non-refundable.
7) Submitting filmmakers/individuals will be notified by e-mail on or before January 5 2024. Winter Film Awards does not send physical mail — please make sure the email address in your entry form is accurate. Changes of email address can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Winter Film Awards is not liable for emails delayed by spam filters, server rejections, outdated email addresses or any other technical or human error.
8) If an accepted filmmaker is unable to submit the final screening copy of the film electronically, the filmmaker will be responsible for the mailing/shipping cost of the work for screening at the film festival. Films with incomplete materials by the deadline will forfeit their ability to screen in the festival. Winter Film Awards, its members, directors, employees, and volunteers are not responsible for lost, unplayable, misplaced, and undelivered film and media.
9) Submitted entry materials will not be returned.
10) A filmmaker with multiple entries (titles) must submit each entry and entry fee separately.
11) The Festival reserves the right to remove a film from the festival program for any reason or for no reason and shall not be liable for any refund or claims of any kind arising out of such removal.
12) The submitting filmmaker must own the copyright to the work. In the case of any legal dispute involving the film, Winter Film Awards will immediately remove the work from our schedule.
13) By submitting your film, Winter Film Awards is hereby granted the right to utilize an excerpt from any film submitted and accepted for exhibition at the Festival for promotional purposes. The individual or corporation submitting the film hereby warrants that it is authorized to commit the film for screening, and understands and accepts these requirements and regulations.
14) You agree to indemnify and hold harmless Winter Film Awards from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney's fees, and costs of the court) which may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, publicity, screening, and loss of or damage to the screening videos entered.