The aim of the Visionary Arts Short Film Competition is to inspire humanity, understanding and action by raising awareness of social issues through the power of storytelling and cinema.
We are looking for stories (maximum film running time - 20 minutes) with a social impact that either cover topics of race, gender, sexuality, mental health, poverty, abuse or the environmental crisis.
The competition is free to enter for students and Gold members.
The Visionary Arts Foundation celebrates and amplifies popular culture, creators and activists that are making a positive social impact through their global or community platforms.
Through our foundation we help and empower people from diverse and marginalised backgrounds to use the arts; be that via film, music, literature, theatre or digital media - as a sound board for discussion and to tell stories that raise awareness, tackling social issues from racism, LGBTQ rights, and mental health care, to climate change, poverty and youth crime prevention.
Our awards shine a light on the work of amazing creators, activists and community workers who are inspiring change and/or are tackling social injustice.
We believe that through a song, play, poem, book, film or drama, the arts can influence positive change and have the power to make people think, act, and do better - making the world a kinder, more just, and equitable place.
FILMS MUST BE IN ENGLISH OR HAVE ENGLISH SUBTITLES.
Three films will be shortlisted by our panel of judges, and be featured at the annual Visionary Honours which take place on the 21st March in London.
FIRST PRIZE -
The winning film will receive a Visionary Honours statuette, and £1,000 prize money.
SECOND PRIZE -
THIRD PRIZE -
ALL ENTRANTS AGREE TO ADHERE TO THE FOLLOWING RULES, TERMS, and CONDITIONS:
- NO REFUND of your entry fee will be permitted.
- All decisions by judges, programmers and organisers shall be made in their sole discretion and will be FINAL.
- The Visionary Arts Short Film Competition (VASFC) has no obligation (other than as stated in these rules or on our website) to disclose any of the following information: i) identities of screeners or judges; ii) notes, feedback, or information relating to the submitted project; and/or iii) details regarding the submission review or selection process.
- VASFC explicitly disclaims any liability or responsibility for any comments, notes, or opinions expressed about a submission, whether by the VASFC judges or by its volunteers.
- For films to qualify, the story must have a social impact that covers either race, gender, sexuality, mental health, poverty, youth crime prevention or environmental issues.
- Films must be submitted as an online streaming video via the participating submission platform - FilmFreeway.
- FILMS MUST BE IN ENGLISH OR HAVE ENGLISH SUBTITLES.
- Shortlisted films will be screened at the Visionary Honours award ceremony (the festival) on the 2nd March 2023.
- Films will only be considered if they are under 20 minutes in length.
- You must provide your film on a digital download for submissions. DCPs might be required for exhibition at the theatrical location.
- We strongly encourage filmmakers to submit ONLY their fully-finished film. We will judge each submission as a completed work, whether it is or not. Once a film is submitted, we will not update the submission with a more recent cut. Should the film be accepted for screening during the festival, the filmmaker may have the opportunity to supply the festival with their most recent version, given extreme extenuating circumstances such as a corrupted file.
- VASFC and their affiliates have no responsibility for loss, theft, or damage to the materials you submit.
- This is a short film festival only. All submissions must fall under 20-minutes.
- By submitting your entry, you confirm and warrant you have required legal authority to submit the entry into the Festival and to use all music, images, and content in the entry and to authorise the use and exhibition of the film.
- You must have exclusive rights to your film as well as any pertinent releases including but not limited to actors' image, location image, trademarked or copyrighted image, and music. VASFC Festival Producers reserve the right to request proof of such releases at any time before films are screened.
- You are responsible for all shipping costs and the risk of loss of your submitted materials to the VASFC. The festival has no responsibility for loss, theft, or damage to the materials you submit.
- By submitting your film, you agree to allow VASFC to exhibit your film in venues during its 2023 festivals, regardless of subsequent distribution deals secured after the submission process. You further agree to allow VASFC and its festival usage of clips from the film and all related publicity material submitted for promotional use on television, radio, in print, web, and at live festival events.
- You authorise the use, without additional compensation, of your name, likeness, and/or voice and photograph for promotion and/or advertising purposes in any manner and in any medium now known or developed in the future throughout the world VASFC and its festival deems appropriate.
- VASFC and its festival do not pay any sort of screening fees.
By submitting an entry, you agree to the Rules, Terms, and Conditions as set forth above, and further agree to indemnify and hold VASFC, Visionary Arts Foundation, the Visionary Honours and their respective affiliates, officers, directors, agents, co-branders, sponsors, or other partners, and any of their employees (collectively, the "Festival Indemnities"), harmless from any and all claims, damages, expenses, costs (including \ solicitors’ reasonable fees) and liabilities (including settlements), brought or asserted by any third party against any of the festival Indemnities due to or arising out of your film and any other materials you submit in this festival, or your conduct during and in connection with this festival, including but not limited to claims of violation of copyright, trademark, or other intellectual property rights, right of publicity, right of privacy or defamation.
VASFC does not issue refunds under any circumstances. Any and all payments made to VASFC are not refundable for any reason, including, without limitation, failure to use Credentials due to illness, acts of God, travel-related problems, acts of terrorism, pandemic, loss of employment and/or duplicate purchases.