The Black Entertainment Economic Council (BEEC) is a non-profit organization working to create more equity in the tv/film industry. Our mission is to increase representation and opportunities for underrepresented professionals and businesses in the industry, both in front of and behind the camera. We aim to accomplish this through a variety of initiatives, including industry education and training programs, networking events, and advocacy efforts.
Through our screenplay competition, we seek to extend our reach to talented, up-and-coming artists and to use our resources to help elevate them within the film industry
The BEEC will award 5 writers in total. We will have five (5) finalists that will be highlighted on our website, social media, and within our press release as well as one (1) overall winner.
All 5 selected winners will be invited to our red-carpet Networking Event where they will be introduced to media executives and industry professionals that can offer mentorship, representation, and potential connections that could fast-track their writing careers.
The selected overall winner of our scriptwriting competition will be given the opportunity to pitch their project in front of these media executives as well as lead a table read of celebrity actors through select scenes of their script.
The support doesn’t stop at the event. Following the event, the BEEC will assist in facilitating further opportunities to pitch with major networks and development executives within our network. Our organization has connections with major writing agents, studios, and executives all interested in content created by black artists.
In addition to the event, the winning script will receive a free consultation and professional script coverage from a script reader who has over 7 years of experience and has worked with multiple studios including Netflix, Universal, and Paramount.
1. We are accepting Feature Film Screenplays (up to 120 pages)
2. Applicants must identify as Black
3. All participants must be 18 years or older
4. The screenplay must be submitted in standard screenplay format (proper font, spacing, margins, and style) - any submission not meeting this requirement will be disqualified.
5. Screenplays will be accepted only in PDF format - any submission not meeting this requirement will be disqualified.
6. All screenplays should be submitted with a title page in standard format including the author's name and contact information as well as the title of the screenplay
7. Projects/Scripts with any affiliation with a major studio, or having secured U.S. distribution or films in development, produced, financed, or initiated by a major film studio or television network are ineligible.
8. Adaptations will only be accepted if the writer can provide proof of rights
9. The maximum page count is 120 pages (not including the title page). Screenplays that exceed this limit will be disqualified
10. All submissions should be submitted through Film Freeway - any screenplays sent via other methods (email, mail, links) will be disqualified
11. All entries must be received by the submission deadline
12. Entry fees are non-refundable
13. All entries must be submitted in English
14. Applicants may submit multiple times in each cycle
15. The BEEC does not seek any ownership of your screenplay. The rights to your screenplay will remain your own. Participants will be asked to grant the BEEC the right to share their scripts with the actors that will perform the reading should they be selected.
16. By submitting to this festival the participant agrees:
A. Hold harmless the Black Entertainment Economic Council and their subsidiary, parent and affiliated companies, prize contributors, judges, analysts, sponsors, and any other organizations responsible for administering, advertising or promoting your submission of material, and every one of their respective members, directors, employees, agents and representatives (collectively, the “Released Parties”) past and present from and against any and all claims, expenses, and liability, including but not limited to damages and negligence to property and persons, including but not limited to invasion of privacy, defamation, slander, libel, violation of right of publicity, copyright, infringement of trademark or other intellectual property rights relating to a participant’s submission of materials and/or acceptance or use or misuse of the prize.
B. To receive emails containing updates and news surrounding this competition and the BEEC
C. To grant the BEEC and its affiliates permission to share your name, project title, images, and a brief synopsis of your project on our website, social media platforms, and in our promotions
D. That participant is the rightful owner of all materials submitted