The Vegan Photo Essay Competition is a program of the Ottawa International Vegan Film Festival.
The Ottawa International Vegan Film Festival promotes the understanding and appreciation of the vegan movement by creating opportunities for people to share and find inspiration in vegan experiences, ideas, and visions.
The competition's goal is to showcase the best in vegan-themed photo essays – to recognize the best stories told through a series of still images. We invite photographers to submit photos to illustrate their vegan related stories under the following categories: lifestyle, health and nutrition, animal welfare, or environmental protection.
The jury is seeking a sequence of images that conveys a compelling story or message – with each image strong enough to stand on its own while conveying a greater narrative when viewed in the photographer’s desired sequence. The winning entry will be awarded a $250 USD Grand prize.
The Grand Prize winner will be announced in October 2019 during the Ottawa International Vegan Film Festival – Premier screening.
Lifestyle - Vegan choices in clothing, travel and highlighting the ways that vegans spread their message through - activism, art, community etc.
Health and Nutrition - Exploring the positive benefits of a vegan diet, what's involved in "going vegan"
Animal Welfare - How eating plants can break the chain of suffering that is endemic in factory farming and the role of animal activists
Environmental Protection - How meat production harms the planet, and how plant-based eating can help to save it
Youth – Under 18 years of age as of August 1, 2019
These Rules and Regulations are final on all matters relating to the Ottawa International Vegan Film Festival Photo Essay Contest (the “Contest”). By applying, all entrants agree to be bound by these Rules and Regulations.
We promote understanding and appreciation of the vegan movement by creating opportunities for people to share and find inspiration in vegan experiences, ideas, and visions.
The competition format is a photo essay. We invite photographers to submit photo essays to illustrate their vegan related stories whether they are lifestyle, health and nutrition, animal welfare, or environmental protection. Each essay submitted should consist of three (3) to five (5) images. We suggest you include only those images required to tell your story – unnecessary images may reduce the overall impact of your submission.
The competition’s goal is to showcase the best in vegan-themed photo essays – to recognize the best stories told through a series of still images. The selection committee and jury will be seeking a sequence of images that conveys a compelling story or message – with each image strong enough to stand on its own while conveying a greater narrative when viewed in the photographer’s desired sequence.
At its simplest, the definition of a photo-essay is a set or series of photographs that are intended to tell a story or evoke emotions in the viewer. Photo essays can be sequential in nature, intended to be viewed in a particular order, or they may consist of non-ordered photographs which may be viewed all at once to reveal their character and dynamics.
August 1, 2019
Note: The complete entry including a submission form, images, and payment must be received no later than midnight August 1, 2019. After this date, your entry may not be eligible to be included in the judging process. However, the organizers reserve the right to consider these entries. If you have any questions about these regulations, PLEASE CONTACT US before completing the entry form at email@example.com.
• A non-refundable handling fee of $15 USD must accompany each entry.
• Submissions will be accepted in the form of photographic essays only.
• The competition is open to amateur and professional photographers.
• Only digital image files will be accepted.
• Each photographic essay of up to five (5) images constitutes one entry.
• Entries will be judged on the basis of effectiveness in conveying the Vegan story through composition, technique, content, and originality of well-edited images.
• Digital files should be 1024 x 768 pixels; 72ppi
• JPG image files no larger than 1MB each. NB: Digital files larger than 1MB will be discarded – high resolution images are not required at the preliminary stage.
• Embedded sRGB colour space.
• No watermarking or digital mattes, frames, or borders.
• Photographer’s name should not be visible on images (every effort is made to judge entries based solely on the image without distractions).
• A short (less than 300 words) synopsis should be provided to describe your photo essay.
• Entrants who fail to provide a high-resolution version within the time period set by the Contest Sponsors (not to exceed one week following prize notification) will forfeit the prize and an alternate winner will be selected by the judging panel. In such a case, no substitute prizes will be awarded.
• Important - each digital image file name must follow this format: YOUR LAST NAME underscore YOUR FIRST NAME underscore ESSAY NAME underscore IMAGE NUMBER
EXAMPLE: DOE_JANE_MT RUNDLE_1.JPG DOE_JANE_MT RUNDLE_2.JPG
WE NEED YOUR NAME on each image file – image file names that do not include the photographer’s name cannot be identified – unidentified files will be rejected.
• Files with only Original Camera File Prefix numbers (for example: DSC_8555) will be rejected.
• If you are entering more than one essay, please ensure that the essay name and image numbers are unique – to distinguish your essays from each other.
• Before sending, please review the file names of each image to ensure they follow your preferred sequence.
• While every care will be taken with material entered, the competition organizers cannot be responsible for the loss of, or damage to, entries.
• You will receive an automatic confirmation of your online submission.
• If your entry is selected as the winner, we will require a high resolution version for exhibition and printing purposes. This will be requested at the conclusion of the judging process.
• All entries will be viewed by a selection committee chaired by the Programming Director. Finalists chosen by this committee will be viewed by an independent jury who will choose the Grand Prize winner which will be announced in October, 2019. The Grand Prize winner will receive $250 CDN and are encouraged to attend the 2019 the Ottawa International Vegan Film Festival to receive their award.
• The Entrant acknowledges and agrees that all matters will be decided by the organizers.
• The winning essay will be displayed as part of the 2019 Ottawa International Vegan Film Festival. Finalists may also be displayed during the Festival.
• The winning essay may be reproduced in third-party content (e.g. sponsor website) for competition promotion. Artists are to enter into a separate commercial contract with third parties interested in printing photo essay images not in relation to competition promotion.
GRANT OF RIGHTS AND WAIVER
By entering the photo essay competition, the Entrant represents and warrants that:
a) The Entrant hereby grants Ottawa International Vegan Film Festival the rights to use the images as outlined in this entry form.
b) The Entrant owns all right, title and interest, including the copyright and all intellectual property rights, in and to the images being submitted to the Competition and has the right to distribute, exhibit and promote the images in or through all media formats now known or hereafter devised, including, but not limited to, the Internet throughout the universe;
c) No material in the images being submitted by the Entrant to the Competition is libelous or is slanderous or defamatory or violates any right of privacy or publicity of any person, and the full use of the rights in such images will not violate any rights, including copyright or moral rights, of any person, firm, or corporation.
d) To the extent that the Entrant may now or in the future be entitled to any so-called moral, author’s or similar rights in the images pursuant to the Copyright Act (Canada) or otherwise, the Entrant hereby allows Ottawa International Vegan Film Festival and third parties to reproduce, display and archive the images, for use by the Vegan Photo Essay Competition and related exhibitions.
e) By entering the Vegan Photo Essay Competition, the Entrant acknowledges and agrees to all entry rules and regulations of the Competition.
The Entrant agrees to indemnify Ottawa International Vegan Film Festival, their respective successors, assigns, licensees, and their respective officers, directors, members, agents and employees and hold them harmless from and against any and all claims, liability, losses, damages, costs, expenses (including reasonable legal fees) and penalties arising out of, resulting from, based upon or incurred because of a breach by the Entrant of any statement, representation or warranty made by the Entrant in this entry form.
PLAIN ENGLISH – WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?
• Entry in the competition allows photographs chosen as the winner, for special mention or as a finalist to be reproduced, published, and/or exhibited by the Ottawa International Vegan Film Festival and third parties for promotional purposes, only as they pertain to the Vegan Photo Essay Competition and Ottawa International Vegan Film Festival.
• You must be the author and sole owner of the copyright for all images you enter.
• All applicable model releases are the responsibility of the entrant.
• We will honour your copyright, and all images will be credited to the photographer.
• By entering the competition you agree to everything in these regulations. All submissions will be retained by the organizers for adjudication and archival purposes, and will not be returned.