Uno Sguardo Raro (A Rare Look) - The Rare Disease International Film Festival, is the first and only film festival on the Rare Diseases in Europe. It selects and promotes the best video works on rare diseases, social inclusion and positive disability through an international competition. USR works with public and private partners, both national and international, the rare diseases community, disability advocates, entertainment and film culture professionals as well as actively collaborating with schools and Research Institutes.
To learn more on rare diseases:
ORPHANET, website providing information about rare disease
ORPHANET ITA, website providing information about rare disease
EURORDIS The European Organisation for Rare Diseases
UNIAMO Federazione Italiana Malattie Rare
National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD)
Our aim is to hold annual awareness-raising event on rare diseases and disability issues to share knowledge, information and experience. We want to inspire young filmmakers to talk about these subjects in their works so to spread knowledge and create a better understanding on these diseases; to broadcast the winning works in different communities so to contribute to the construction of a more gentle and inclusive society.
The Festival is also open to topics such as positive disability, empathy, resilience, overcoming limits, that are close to the rare disease community,
ITALIAN SHORT FILMS
Short films of any kind of narrative on the theme of rare diseases, disability, empathy, resilience, the ability to overcome one’s limits, with a maximum duration of 15 minutes, including head and tail titles, only of Italian nationality, published or unpublished.
INTERNATIONAL SHORT FILMS
Short films of any kind of narrative on the theme of rare diseases, disability, empathy, resilience, the ability to overcome one’s limits, with a maximum duration of 15 minutes, including head and tail titles, of any nationality, published or unpublished.
ANIMATION SHORT FILMS
Animation short films on the theme of rare diseases, disability, empathy, resilience, the ability to overcome one’s limits of maximum duration of 15 minutes, including head and tail titles, of any nationality, published or unpublished.
Documentaries on the theme of rare diseases, disability, empathy, resilience, the ability to overcome one’s limits with a maximum duration of 20 minutes, including head and tail titles, of any nationality, published or unpublished.
All Italian works must have English subtitles.
All foreign works must have English subtitles.
The Festival promotes and awards awareness-raising work on rare diseases and closely related topics that have an original cut, with no formalism but with a high emotional impact.
The works will be selected by a Technical Jury that will take into account:
• Adherence to the themes;
• Narrative quality, technique and communication skills.
A Quality Jury, formed by film and television professionals, members of the rare disease community, communication, health and education professionals, will choose the finalists for each category among the works selected by the Technical Jury. Finalists will be screened online on the streaming platform unosguardoraro.tv to registered users.
The Quality Jury will vote the winners that will be screened at the Final Award Ceremony of Uno Sguardo Raro Festival 2021.
In addition to the technical and artistic qualities, the Quality Jury will consider in a positive way works that:
- address rare diseases in a striking, exciting and original way;
- promote knowledge on Rare Diseases and, above all, awareness on this topic overcoming all prejudice;
- highlight clichés and stereotypes of the collective imagination;
- enhance the rare disease community as resource for Society, expressing it with imagination and irony;
- suggest a pathway to integration and inclusion for isolated people.
Awards & Prizes
• BEST ITALIAN SHORT FILM (with a cash prize of 500 euros and live streaming projection at the Final Ceremony)
• BEST INTERNATIONAL SHORT FILM (with a cash prize of 500 euros and live streaming projection at the Final Ceremony)
• BEST ANIMATED SHORT FILM (with a cash prize of 500 euros and live streaming projection at the Final Ceremony)
• BEST DOCUMENTARY (with a cash prize of 500 euros and live streaming projection at the Final Ceremony)
• POPULAR JURY AWARD decided by the votes of the public on the Festival's streaming platform. To view all finalists and to vote it will be necessary to register to the site.
• BEST INTERPRETATION
• USR-HEYOKA SPECIAL PRIZE dedicated to works that highlight topics such as empathy, positive disability, tenacity and resilience. Submitted works may be pre-selected to participate to this special prize
Juries may award with ex-aequo prizes and/or special mentions.
FINAL DEADLINE: 15 May 2021.
Till 31 January 2021 submission is free.
From 1 February registration fee is € 5 and is not refundable.
Once a work has been selected as a finalist, it can no longer be withdrawn from the USR Festival.
Please read carefully the rules before submitting your work at Uno Sguardo Raro - the Rare Disease international film festival. Submission implies consent to the regulations and rules here under.
1. This agreement ("Agreement") is between you ("You" or "Filmmaker") and Uno Sguardo Raro - International Rare Disease Film Festival ("Festival").
2. You are hereby release your submitted film to be screened at the Festival.
3. In submitting your film, You agree to the following:
a. You grant all rights, licenses, clearances and releases necessary for the exhibition of your film;
b. You declare that you have the authority to enter into this agreement;
c. You are responsible for all the footage. The contents of the works submitted to the Festival must be in order with all the laws on copyrights and author rights. The Festival and all the companies connected to the Festival decline all responsibility on this regard.
d. You will not receive any compensation for the screening of your film;
e. You grant the Festival the right to screen the film at any of the Festivals locations or partner’s events for a period of two years from the date of uploading of the film;
f. You grant the Festival the right of digital distribution via streaming online on demand on a platform organized by the Festival and it’s partners;
g. You grant the Festival the right to use clips, posters, photographs and trailers of the film, as well as your inscription, name, image, likeness, photography and video, for programming, advertising, promotion and advertising purposes in all media, without compensation and without prior notice, approval or inspection;
h. The Festival, its advertising and promotion agencies, their officials, directors, shareholders, employees, agents and representatives shall be exempt from liability for any accident, loss or damage of any kind to persons, ownership, or other, resulting, in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from participation in the Festival or from any activity related to it;
9. You consent the inclusione of your uploaded work on the FilmFreeway platform on the streaming platform PLAY based on the website unosguardoraro.tv, as well as special editings and screenings made and/or to be made for the promotion of the Festival;
[10.] You give your consent to screening and/or broadcasting in cinemas, on the web and/or by any other means of communication and/or broadcasting, including social networks of your submitted work;
11. You authorize screening in free initiatives or events organized in combination or collaboration with Nove Produzioni.
12. You authorize the communication and/or broadcasting of the submitted work to the media and/or press for promotional and advertising purposes of the Festival and the different events linked to the Festival's topics, organized directly by Nove Produzioni or in collaboration with this assocation
13. Declares to indemnify the Cultural Association Nove Produzioni for any claim from third parties regarding the lawfulness of the contents of the video in question;
15. In the case of underage participants, the application form must be completed and signed by a parent or guardian, indicating below the name and surname of the child taking part;
17. The choices made by the founders and organizers of the festival, the artistic direction and the Juries are unquestionable;
18. Submission of your work means that you have read and that you accept and agree all the rules of this notice of competition;
19. Any dispute relating to the application and/or interpretation of these Rules shall be the exclusive jurisdiction of the Court of Rome.