In 2023 the Top Dog Film Festival will screen over 2 hours of the most inspirational, heart warming and entertaining films related to the dogs and their human companions from independent film makers around the globe.
IF YOUR FILM DOES NOT HAVE A RELEVANCE TO DOGS - PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT IT! Only DOG related SHORT films under 40 minutes will be considered. Please read the categories of films we are looking for carefully to ensure your film fits our criteria.
The Top Dog Film Festival will include a unique selection of films of varying lengths and styles covering topics relevant to dogs and their humans.
We are looking for a broad selection of films to fill a 2 hour program. We are searching for one longer film film (30mins to 40mins) and a number of short films (30 minutes and shorter) to make up our program.
In 2023 we plan on screening over 30 times around Australia, New Zealand and beyond.
As a festival tour we pay a screening royalty each time your film is screened rather than a one off festival prize. This way you are rewarded each time our audience sees your film.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF ENTRY INTO THE TOP DOG FILM FESTIVAL
a. All entries will be viewed prior to the festival by a pre selection committee chaired by the Programming Director.
b. Finalists chosen by the committee will be viewed by the public at the Top Dog Film Festival.
c. Films selected for the tour will be announced June 2023.
d. Applicants must have the intellectual property rights and distribution rights to enter this film into the competition. Applicants must acquire the performing rights for any music contained in the film and provide evidence should it be required.
2. ENTRY DETAILS:
a. The dispatching of any entry to the film competition implies acceptance of all regulations by the Applicant.
b. Films produced prior to July 2020 will not be eligible for the competition.
c. Film makers from any country may enter the tour and are encouraged to attend the screenings.
d. Films may be of any length and submitted by both professional and amateur filmmakers.
e. Submission of films does not guarantee their screening at the Festival.
f. A screening fees will be paid calculated on the number of minutes screened on the tour. If your film is selected for the tour a screening fee contract will need to be signed by both the Applicant and the Festival.
g. A completed and signed entry form must accompany each film otherwise it can not be considered for inclusion.
h. Films in any language other than English MUST have English subtitles or be dubbed in English to be considered for inclusion.
i. All submissions will be retained by the Festival for selection and archival purposes and will not be returned.
j. The Applicant grants the Festival and its successors, licensees and assigns the right to copy the entry in its entirety to facilitate technical operations of the Festival Tour, in and through any and all media formats now known or hereafter devised.
By submitting your film, you confirm that you have read, understood and agree to the following terms:
1. You have all intellectual property rights to all content in the submission and you have the performing rights for any music contained in the film.
2. If requested you will provide evidence of intellectual property ownership should it be required.
3. You agree to allow Adventure Reels Pty Ltd trading as Adventure Reels and its successors, licensees and assignees to use your film and any associated photos or extracts in the Top Dog Film Festival or any associated dog focused programming in any digital format including cinema projection, video on demand, DVD/Blu-Ray and streaming compilations, anywhere in the world in perpetuity. Films may be shown at multiple screenings. Segments of the films may be used in trailers and marketing. Photographs, screen grabs or filmmaker submitted images may be used in promotional material and social media. Adventure Reels may sub-licence this right without further consent.
4. To the best of your knowledge, all of the statements in this document are true.
5. The film submitted is not subject to litigation nor is threatened by any litigation.
6. You are duly authorised to submit this film to the festival and its competition.
7. You understand that the Top Dog Film Festival and its owner Adventure Reels Pty Ltd trading as Adventure Reels are not responsible for any type of loss or damage to you pertaining to the film or its use by Adventure Reels.
8. Final decision on the award winners and films included in the Top Dog Film Festival will be at the absolute discretion of the Event Organisers.
3. TECHNICAL INFORMATION:
a. Preferred format to receive and screen films is 16:9 ratio PAL format. We accept either Avid DNxHD or Apple ProRes 422 at 1920x1080p, in a .mov or .mxf wrapper. Our preference is to use the 10bit codecs (example: ProRes 422 (HQ) or Avid DNxHD 175X, 185X or 220X – depending on frame-rate). Please submit the frame rate that your film was edited in, to a maximum of 30 frames per second, ideally 24 or higher. Audio should be uncompressed PCM, .wav or .aif at 24bit, 48kHz.
b. Sound levels should conform to professional broadcast standards.
c. We encourage submissions of films in via digital download from fast servers, youTube or Vimeo.
4. PROMOTIONAL REQUIREMENTS: Once your film has been selected for the Top Dog Film Festival the following must be submitted:
a. A minimum of 3 high-resolution promotional still photographs at 300dpi must be submitted electronically or on disc for each film.
b. All images must be labeled with film title, location and photographer credit (or provided in a separate word document) and images must include rights to be used for film promotional purposes.
c. Two (2) minutes of footage from each film entry to be used for promotional purposes. This can be 720 or 1080 HD, preferably supplied digitally.
d. The Festival Tour reserves the right to use up to two (2) minutes from each entry submitted for promotional purposes including but not limited to the tour Trailer.
5. SUCCESSFUL ENTIRES:
a. The Top Dog Film Festival will inform all Applicants of the status of their application once short listing is complete. If accepted the preferred format is a high definition digital file.
b. All entries give the right to Top Dog Film Festival to show the film at the Festival Tour. A signed agreement outlining royalties will be issued once successful films have been confirmed for inclusion in the Top Dog Film Festival. Film makers will be remunerated on the basis of minutes screened throughout the duration of the tour.
c. By submitting pictures/images and signing this form the image/picture copyright holder is giving permission to the Top Dog Film Festival to use these images for festival promotion and documentary purposes. The copyright of these images will always remain with the copyright holder.
d. The Applicant grants permission for the Top Dog Film Festival to release contact details to the Media and Top Dog Film Festival tour hosts in Australian and globally.
All film makers are responsible for obtaining any permissions required by copyright law in the use of any music and images used in their films. Top Dog Film Festival will take no responsibility for copyright infringement. If the Top Dog Film Festival thinks it necessary, proof of copyright will be asked for. Failure to produce proof in writing from the copyright holder will result in automatic expulsion from the competition.