Welcome to the Through Women's Eyes International Film Festival in beautiful Sarasota, Florida! Our next festival will be held March 5, 6, and 7, 2021. Now in our 22nd year, we are a mission-driven festival, dedicated to showcasing women filmmakers and selecting films which address issues inadequately represented in mainstream media. We pride ourselves on our international character and routinely accept films from all over the world.
We actively seek films that reflect the LGBTQ experience, films that showcase important social themes and current events (from any country), and films reflecting the full diversity of global women.
We seek films which are:
- made by female filmmakers; or
- focus on issues of particular interest to women (by any filmmaker); or
- focus on women's stories, and lives (by any filmmaker).
We strongly encourage selected filmmakers to attend TWE; it is a great opportunity to publicize the film, answer questions from the audience, and participate in our receptions and panel discussions with other filmmakers. We have a very engaged base of supporters who host filmmakers and appreciate the entire weekend.
TWE is all-volunteer production of the non-profit Gulf Coast Chapter of UN Women USA; all net proceeds support the work of UN Women, the premier agency working for gender equality and women's empowerment in over 90 countries.
Awards will be selected for:
Best Narrative Feature
Best Documentary Feature
Best Narrative Short
Best Documentary Short
Best Emerging Filmmaker
Honourable Mention Emerging Filmmaker
Best of Festival Award
Audience Choice Awards
(Awards subject to change based on submissions.)
1. All film submissions will be reviewed 2 - 3 screeners; high-scoring films will then be reviewed by our advisory panel and referred to a final selection committee.
2. All films must be in English OR contain English subtitles. All subtitles must be clearly within the visible frame.
3. All film genres are accepted.
4. Our Festival includes an Emerging Filmmaker showcase; student submissions are encouraged. NOTE: Emerging FIlmmakers must be enrolled in an accredited film school OR be under age 30 at the time of submission. Documentation demonstrating the above will be expected.
5. Films must have been completed AFTER January 1, 2019.
6. If selected, TWE has the right to use stills, posters, titles, or any information from the submission for promotional purposes.
7. No film submitted to TWE may have been viewed publicly, either in theatrical release or through electronic or digital media or DVD sales, prior to March 6, 2020. Showing in a recognized film festival before TWE is permitted; there are NO OTHER EXCEPTIONS.
8. EXHIBITION COPY OF ALL FILMS ACCEPTED BY TWE MUST BE IN DCP FORMAT ONLY. DCPs are accepted ONLY by upload to our digital partner (at the filmmaker's fee of approximately $35) OR by physical delivery (mail). THERE ARE ABSOLUTELY NO EXCEPTIONS TO THIS EXHIBITION FORMAT. Filmmakers needing a professionally encoded DCP will receive discounted rates through our media partner. All details will be provided to accepted filmmakers.