The Violette Film Festival is an Independent film festival that will be held at the historic Merced Theater in Merced California!
Our festival was started in 2017 with one thought in mind...To give all filmmakers young and old a fair chance at a worlds stage.
Our festival is designed to be fun for all ages and we encourage all film makers, from first timers to experienced professionals, to submit films for the world to see. We understand not everyone has access to huge budgets and expensive equipment so our festival stands as an outlet for the underground, Indie and amateur film makers to show the world what they are made of side by side with industry professional and student films. In our first year we had films from all over the world from France to Iraq, Canada to Mexico and films from right here in the central part of California.
At our festival you will not be turned down or away due to budgets, equipment, money or production limitations...everyone has a voice and a story to tell...as long as the story is clear and entertaining, we will be honored to screen it. Weather it is filmed on a iPhone or red epic cinema camera, we are looking for stories to share!
Thanks to our sponsors are at partners at the Merced Theater we will be holding a 2 day festival on October 18th and 19th 2019!
With feature and short film film blocks we are looking to bring the best talent from around the world to Merced!
Submissions open December 28th and run until august 30th with the extended deadline.
The film submissions are open to anyone, everywhere who would like to submit. We can't wait to see what films you can bring to the festival!
PLEASE NOTE: ALL SHORT FILMS MUST BE LESS THEN 10 min in length
ALL FEATURE FILMS MUST BE BETWEEN 45 and 125 min in length.
*Please Note We Do Not Accommodate Travel Or Lodging, So If You Live Out Of Area Or Far And You Are Selected To Be Screened Please Make Sure You Make Proper Accommodations. If You Can Not Make It To The Event Your Film Will Still Be Screened At The Event And You Will Still Be Eligible For Film Awards.( We Will Ship Awards At No Extra Cost To You If You Win)
Also For All Film Makers Who Get Accepted There Is A Ticket Fee For The Event (This Is Due To The Fact Our Event Is Being Held At Our Sponsors Comic Con. With A Ticket Entry You Get Access To The Comic Con Events During Our Festival. (Info On Tickets To Their Event Will Be Sent To You If You Are Selected) . We Are Not In Charge Of Tickets, But they will be discounted for you.
More info on the awards will be up soon.
Award winners will be notified before the festival!
And invited to a film makers galla on October 20th following the festival in Merced CA. at the MAC in downtown Merced.
Films do not have any premier requirements
(it is ok if they have already been screened before somewhere else)
Films must be original work and must have been completed after January of 2016.
The film festival reserves the right to disqualify, without refund of any or all submission fees previously collected from the Applicant. Due to content resulting in violation of rules set, time length not met, and or any content we feel is not suitable for display in our festival.
Please Note: The same rules and entry fees should apply to all applicants so no one film is favored over another. In a similar respect, The Violette Film Festival does not invite films to be in competition. Only films that are submitted will be considered for competition.
• All films must be in English or have English subtitles at the time submitted.
• Films must be submitted as an online streaming video via a participating submission platform (FilmFreeway), a password-protected streaming URL, or on DVD with NTSC or PAL formatting (please test before sending).
• We will screen films as digital files during the Festival (USB) and does NOT screen films on Blu-Ray, HD-CAM, or DCP. If you are unable or unwilling to provide us your film as a digital file for exhibition, DO NOT SUBMIT your film.
•We prefer shorts not be publicly available online.(youtube for example, if they are that is ok but one you submit the film please put the film on private, this is to insure the film has a fresh audience at the event screening)
• We reserve the right in its sole discretion to reject or disqualify any ineligible entries, without a refund If the film violates terms, such as does not meet rules (example Nudity, Excessive Violence, sexual content, suggested rape or similar subject matter or deemed not suitable for screening at event)
•Winners will be announced at the festival. The judges’ decision is final.
• Films will have a minimum running time of 4 minutes and a max running time of 10 minutes. (titles and credits included) for short films.
•Feature films will have a minimum running time of 45 minutes.
•no excessive gore (no buckets of blood).
•Try and use as much original music as possible.
•There is exceptions with royalty free music and or if you have the rights to the music
(if need be look up links to good sites for royalty free or music you can buy)
•Stories must be original
• FOR NON FAN FILM SUBMISSIONS: Films must be the original work of the applicants. If a film is based upon another person’s life or upon a book or other underlying work, applicant(s) must secure any necessary rights to make such adaptations.
By entering the competition, you are acknowledging that you have secured all necessary rights
FAN FILM COMPETITION
• Film MUST be fan based – a film that pays homage to a show (TV, movie, or play), book, or game (boardgame, role playing game, or video game) with a strong fan-base
• Pornography is prohibited
• Submissions MUST give us the title the fan film is based on, either on the intro or within an email/message upon entry
• Submissions MUST provide either Poster/Image or Preview Video of their Fan Film, for our festival to promote
• Anything goes this year. do a cross over, recreate your favorite episode or make a new story line fan film!
• Applicants are solely responsible for obtaining all necessary rights and permissions for third-party materials included in the film, including but not limited to music, trademarks, logos, copyrights, and other intellectual property rights. VIOLETTE FILMS expressly disclaims all liability or responsibility for any violations of the foregoing.
BY SUBMITTING THE MATERIAL, THE APPLICANT HEREBY AGREES TO INDEMNIFY, HOLD HARMLESS, AND DEFEND THE FESTIVAL, ITS EMPLOYEES, DIRECTORS, REPRESENTATIVES, AND AFFILIATES FROM ANY LIABILITY, CLAIMS, AND DAMAGES IN CONNECTION WITH THE SUBMISSION AND FROM ANY FEES AND EXPENSES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO REASONABLE ATTORNEYS’ FEES, THAT ANY OF THEM MAY INCUR IN CONNECTION THEREWITH.
We strongly encourage filmmakers to submit their film only after it is fully finished and will judge each submission as a completed work, whether it is or not. Once a film is entered, we will not update the submission with a more recent cut. That said, because the Judges focus is solely on story, minor technical changes will not affect the final decision of any film. Should the film be accepted to play during the Festival, the filmmaker will have the opportunity to supply the festival with their most recent version.