Welcome to the second season for The Red River Script Competition!
Please note that our screenplay contest is only accepting submissions that are a maximum of 20 pages.
We have chosen the following genres for short scrip submissions:
HORROR & SCI-FI / FANTASY / THRILLER / MYSTERY / SUSPENSE
Our nonprofit foundation dedicated to veterans has created this contest as a career stepping-stone for writers: not only will your script be made into a short film, but your entry fee is tax-deductible and there is also a $1,000 cash prize for the winning selection.
We selected 25 finalists and one grand prize winner (laurels designed by artist Conner Reddan) for our first screenplay contest and now we're launching the second season of The Red River Script Competition!
"The Scam" by Chelsea Kania was selected for the Grand Prize of our first event. We will be producing this script as a short film in Spring 2024!
Our esteemed panel of judges includes a former agent with ICM and UTA, an experienced screenwriter and author from New Orleans, a screenwriting instructor with 25+ years of experience, plus several others!
Though this is just the second season for The Red River Script Competition, we already have a phenomenal crew in Louisiana ready for the shoot. We plan to film in Fall 2024 with a projected budget of $15,000.
The Red River Script Competition is open to all screenwriters regardless of age or nationality. We are expecting a large number of entries, so please follow these guidelines:
Length: Please limit the length of your screenplay to 20 pages (or less) that are suited for a 15-20 minute short film.
Earybird Entry: $15 before December 31, 2022
Final Deadline: $20 before May 3, 2023
Announcement of Finalists: May 17, 2023
Announcement of Grand Prize Winner: May 26, 2023
Every screenwriter who enters this contest will be listed in the credits of the film. We look forward to reading your submissions!
The Red River Script Competition is being organized by The Cuddy Family Foundation for Veterans. We are a 501(c)(3) nonprofit entity with the primary goals of being self-sufficient through the establishment of businesses that employ veterans, serving the essential survival needs of homeless veterans and others in peril, and offering long-term sustainability training and transitional support elements to help secure stable living arrangements for our clients. Our efforts are specifically aimed at reducing the alarming suicide rate for veterans.
1) The grand prize winner will have the selected screenplay produced as a short film.
2. The grand prize winner will receive a $1,000 cash award.
3) The grand prize winner will receive a 5% ownership share for the short film project.
4) Finalists will receive award certificates and special recognition in the credits of the short film.
5) All competition entrants will be listed in the credits of the short film; entry fees are funding the film and we are happy to recognize everyone who has participated.
1) Submitted scripts must be original screenplays, and the sole property of the applicant(s). Screenplays submitted must not have been previously sold or produced. Adapted or based on screenplays are also accepted. It is the sole responsibility of the applicant to register their screenplay and secure clearance from the copyright holders of any copyrighted materials included within the submitted screenplay. All entrants, including the nominees and winners, retain complete and exclusive rights to their written work.
2) All ages and nationalities are eligible.
3) All entries must be in English.
4) We accept screenplays up to a maximum of 20 pages in length.
5) There is no limit to the number of screenplays you may submit, but you must submit each entry separately and pay a fee for each entry.
6) All entries must be uploaded in PDF format. Contact details or names are allowed to be on the title page, but not recommended.
7) All screenplays should be written in industry standard format (Courier 12 pt font).
8) Substitutions of either corrected pages or new drafts of the entry screenplay(s) are accepted.
9) Competition judges, readers and employees of our competition, past and present, and their immediate friends and families, are NOT eligible to enter.
10) Entries must be received on or before the deadline of May 3, 2023 and submission fee payment must be made in full at time of the submission. Entry fees (including services fees) are non-refundable and we do not provide any feedback or script consultations.
11) The film that is made from the script will be the exclusive property of the executive producers. The screenwriter will receive a 5% ownership position. All talent and crew selections, including director and script supervisor, will be made by the executive producers.
12) By entering The Red River Script Competition you agree to all the rules listed. Regardless of your status (winner or nominee), please note that your script, logline, and contact information may be shared with our partners and sponsors, and by submitting you agree with that. You also agree to release and hold harmless The Cuddy Family Foundation for Veterans from and against any and all claims, expenses, and liability, including but not limited to damages and negligence to property and persons, including but not limited to invasion of privacy, defamation, slander, libel, violation of right of publicity, copyright, infringement of trademark or other intellectual property rights relating to a participant’s entry, participation in the contest and/or acceptance or use or misuse of the prize.