TMFF has been celebrating the intersection of motorcycles, film, and the arts since 2017 and is recognized internationally, bringing people together to immerse themselves in motorcycle culture through the stories that connect us.
TMFF initiatives include the annual Toronto Motorcycle Film Festival in the fall and TMFF Cinema, our global-facing year-round VOD platform. Past projects include Fast-Forward, a gallery exhibit combining high-end custom bikes and art from internationally renowned contemporary artists, Aspect:Ratio, a series of talks with community and thought-leaders, and participation in the Canada-wide National Canadian Film Day.
TMFF screens documentary and narrative films, animation, experimental, and VR experiences. The Festival includes film screenings, Q&As with attending filmmakers, jury and audience awards, reception parties, and moderated TMFF Talks Q&A panel sessions. The festival is open to submissions from any country. TMFF is an IMDB-certified festival.
This year's TMFF will take place October 6–8 in Toronto.
We are planning in-theatre screenings following health and safety guidelines and recommendations made by government health officials. With your consent, we will also present films on our online screening platform which can be configured to your geo-restriction, availability window, and maximum seat requirements. Online screenings may extend around the festival dates, which we will confirm as our schedule is finalized.
***NEW FOR THIS YEAR***
TMFF is starting a Tour program with theatrical and online screenings of select films across Canada and beyond. Films entered into competition will be considered for inclusion in our Tour program. We will be announcing additional Tour info later this spring as our plans develop. If your film is selected for our Tour, we will contact you in advance.
We are focused on making TMFF a first-class experience for both our audience and filmmakers and are proud of the feedback we've received from them. Please see what past filmmakers have to say about us in the feedback section below.
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT
By submitting your film, we promise to watch it fully and give it a fair chance for inclusion in the Festival and Tour. If your film is selected for screening at TMFF, here’s what you can expect from us:
• A BIG SCREEN: We will present your film in the best way possible, screening it in a proper theatre, on a big screen, with best-in-class video and audio capabilities.
• EXTENSIVE PROMOTION of your film on our website, subscriber email newsletters, social media channels, and to our media PR contacts. While this campaign is focused on the months leading up to the Festival, films also benefit from our year-round coverage via our social media and e-newsletters. In the past, we've received press coverage in over 30 mainstream and new media sources including The Star, CBC, all Canadian motorcycle publications coast to coast, select magazines in the USA and Europe, online blogs, and more.
• AN APPRECIATIVE AUDIENCE: Attendance at TMFF events has sold out (pre-pandemic) and the theatre and parties were packed shoulder to shoulder. Oh, the good old days. While in-theatre screenings may be different now, our online audience is just as engaged and has reached across all of North and South America, Europe, and beyond.
• OPPORTUNITY TO CONNECT: Filmmakers are encouraged to attend the Festival in person. If you join us, you'll feel the love from our audience even more as you engage with them in an on-stage Q&A and at our parties. You will be treated like a rockstar. You'll also have the opportunity to connect with the other attending filmmakers and members of the media.
• REACH BEYOND TMFF: We've developed long-term relationships with all of our filmmakers and have helped connect them with other festivals and opportunities around the world.
• EXCELLENT COMMUNICATION between you and Festival that's handled with care and respect.
If you have any questions, please contact us at email@example.com
We look forward to your submission.
– The TMFF team
Awards will be given in the following categories:
• Best Canadian Film
• Best Short Film
• Best Feature Film
• People’s Choice
We may expand the prizes to split out narrative, documentary and other categories depending on the number of submissions received for each.
The Best Canadian, Short and Feature Film Awards will be chosen by our Judging Panel which is made up of members of the media, film industry, and motorcycle industry. The People's Choice Award will be based on audience votes.
When you submit your film, you will choose which category you wish to classify it under. Award titles and prizes are subject to change.
1. Films must feature motorcycles or motorcycle culture as a key component or theme.
2. Films must be in English or include English subtitles. Films that are selected for our Tour must also include French subtitles. You can use services like rev.com to generate subtitles for your film at inexpensive rates. We encourage all filmmakers to provide subtitles for their films, regardless of language, in order to make the films accessible.
3. Films must be submitted via FilmFreeway.
4. All submission fees are non-refundable. If your film does not fit our submission guidelines, it will be disqualified.
5. You certify that you hold all necessary rights to this film and that you cleared all rights and licenses, including but not limited to copyright, trademark, royalty and credits, before submitting it to TMFF. You agree to indemnify TMFF in the event that such rights have not been properly transferred. You also certify that this film is not subject to any litigation nor is threatened by any litigation.
6. You will not hold TMFF at harm for damage to, or loss of any or all materials en route to, from or otherwise at the festival and assume all legal responsibilities therein.
7. Submissions are reviewed by the TMFF programming team. The applicants whose film(s) have been selected for inclusion in the film festival will be notified via email on or before August 12, 2022.
8. If your film is selected, you authorize TMFF to screen your film and will provide an exhibition copy in the required formats for both theatre and online presentation. Online presentations will take place only with your consent. You also grant TMFF permission to use stills and excerpts from your film for promotional purposes.
9. Submissions may not be withdrawn once they have been accepted and you have confirmed, except at the discretion of TMFF.
10. Award winners will be selected by a panel of judges chosen by the TMFF.