TMFF has been celebrating the intersection of motorcycles, film, and the arts since 2017. Recognized worldwide, TMFF brings together the best motorcycle films and the spirit of freedom and adventure from around the world, sharing universal stories told through the lens of motorcycling.
In 2022 we started our TMFF Tour program with theatrical and online screenings of select films across Canada and other countries, making TMFF the largest motorcycle film festival on the planet.
The 2023 edition of TMFF will take place September 21–23 in Toronto.
Films entered into competition will be considered for inclusion in our TMFF Tour program. If your film is selected for the Tour, we will contact you in advance to make arrangements. If you do not wish to participate in the Tour, you may opt out at any time.
TMFF initiatives also include TMFF Cinema, our year-round VOD streaming platform, and TMFF Talks, one-on-one and panel discussions that are timely and focus on the topics that matter to our audience. Past projects included Fast Forward and Breath of Life gallery shows combining high-end custom bikes and art from internationally renowned contemporary artists, Aspect:Ratio, a series of talks with community and thought-leaders, and participation in the Canada-wide National Canadian Film Day.
TMFF screens documentary and narrative films, animation, experimental, and VR experiences. The TMFF festival also includes Q&As with attending filmmakers, jury and audience awards, reception parties, and exhibitions. The festival is open to submissions from any country. TMFF is an IMDB-certified festival.
We are focused on making TMFF a first-class experience for both our audience and filmmakers and are proud of the feedback we've received from them. Please see what past filmmakers have to say about us in the feedback section below.
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT
We strive to set the standard for excellence in film programming. Films are selected on the basis of quality and originality. By submitting your film, we will watch it fully and give it a fair chance for inclusion in the Festival and Tour. If your film is selected, here’s what you can expect from us:
• AN APPRECIATIVE AUDIENCE: TMFF events have frequently sold out (pre-pandemic) and the theatre and parties were packed shoulder to shoulder.
• EXTENSIVE PROMOTION of your film on our website, subscriber email newsletters, social media channels, and to our media PR contacts. While this campaign is focused on the months leading up to the Festival, films also benefit from our year-round coverage via our social media and e-newsletters. In the past, we've received press coverage in over 30 mainstream and new media sources including The Star, CBC, REV TV, all Canadian motorcycle publications coast to coast, select magazines in the USA and Europe, online blogs, and more.
• OPPORTUNITIES TO CONNECT: Filmmakers are encouraged to attend the Festival in person. If you join us, you'll feel the love from our audience even more as you engage with them in an on-stage Q&A and at our parties. You will be treated like a rockstar. You'll also have the opportunity to connect with the other attending filmmakers and members of the media.
• ACCESS to all TMFF film screenings, networking and social events.
• REACH BEYOND TMFF: We've developed long-term relationships with all of our filmmakers and have helped connect them with other festivals and opportunities around the world.
• EXCELLENT COMMUNICATION between you and Festival that's handled with care and respect.
• A BIG SCREEN: We will present your film in the best way possible, screening it in a proper theatre, on a big screen, with best-in-class video and audio capabilities.
If you have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
We look forward to your submission.
– The TMFF team
Awards will be given in the following categories:
• Best Canadian Film
• Best Short Film
• Best Feature Film
• People’s Choice
We may expand the prizes to split out narrative, documentary and other categories depending on the number of submissions received for each.
The Best Canadian, Short and Feature Film Awards will be chosen by our Judging Panel which is made up of members of the media, film industry, and motorcycle industry. The People's Choice Award will be based on audience votes.
Award titles and prizes are subject to change.
1. Films must feature motorcycles or motorcycle culture as a key component or theme.
2. Films must be in English or include English subtitles. We encourage all filmmakers to provide subtitles for their films, regardless of language, in order to make the films accessible. Films that are selected for our Tour must also include French subtitles. You can use services like rev.com to generate subtitles for your film at inexpensive rates.
3. Films must be submitted via FilmFreeway.
4. All submission fees are non-refundable. If your film does not fit our submission guidelines, it will be disqualified.
5. You certify that you hold all necessary rights to this film and that you cleared all rights and licenses, including but not limited to copyright, trademark, royalty and credits, before submitting it to TMFF. You agree to indemnify TMFF in the event that such rights have not been properly transferred. You also certify that this film is not subject to any litigation nor is threatened by any litigation.
6. You will not hold TMFF at harm for damage to, or loss of any or all materials en route to, from or otherwise at the festival and assume all legal responsibilities therein.
7. Submissions are reviewed by the TMFF programming team. The applicants whose film(s) have been selected for inclusion in the film festival will be notified via email on or before August 12, 2023.
8. If your film is selected, you authorize TMFF to screen your film and will provide an exhibition copy in the required formats for both theatre and online presentation. Online presentations will take place only with your consent. You also grant TMFF permission to use stills and excerpts from your film for promotional purposes.
9. Submissions may not be withdrawn once they have been accepted and you have confirmed, except at the discretion of TMFF.
10. Award winners will be selected by a panel of judges chosen by the TMFF.