STIFF- Student International Film Festival is calling on all student and debutant filmmakers to submit their films for the 6th STIFF which will take place from 17th to 20sth October 2019 in Rijeka, Croatia.
As part of the program during five successful years so far, the festival screened over 300 most recent student fiction, documentary and animation films from around the world. The deadline for registration and delivery of materials is May 15th, 2019.
Every year STIFF has a theme. We focus on films addressing this theme in a broad sense so be free to apply regardless.
The theme of the 6th edition of STIFF is fear. Through its film program, discussions, exhibitions, workshops and masterclasses the festival will discuss the causes and consequences of the culture of fear in Europe and in the world. It will focus on methods of resistance and struggle against fear and oppression with emphasis on cinema and art.
Works entering a competition must be original, student-created films or debutants films (First time independently produced films after finishing the film school). All the works need to be up to 60 min in length and completed after 1st of January 2017. Films must be submitted via FilmFreeway, screeners must be password protected and not available for public online stream.The deadline for registration and delivery of materials is May 1st, 2019.
The festival jury will award Best Fiction Film, Best Documentary, and Best Animated Film while our audiences will award one film of their choice. Special mentions might be given to the outstanding talents from the fields of directing, production, acting, screenwriting, cinematography, editing, production design, sound design and score composing.
STIFF is Croatia’s first International Film Festival dedicated entirely to student films. Established by the SKC Rijeka (Student Culture Center) and organized in collaboration with Filmaktiv – the purpose of the festival is strengthening the student film and video industry by allowing an insight into the work of other fellow student filmmakers, encouraging the development of new ideas and establishing an international collaboration in the field of media production. STIFF’s main goal is to present the best of the student film production from all around the world and help them get their audiences. It strives to educate audiences about the quality of work of emerging filmmakers.
Festival jury will award:
• Best Fiction Film
• Best Documentary
• Best Animation
• An audience award will be given to the Best Film
• Special mentions might be given to the outstanding talents from the fields of directing, production, acting, screenwriting, cinematography, editing, production design, sound design and score composing…
• All entries must be original, student created films or Debutant Film (the first film made after finishing film school)
• All the works for the competition category need to be finished after 1st of January 2017.
• By submitting your work you certify that you hold necessary rights for the presentation of this film at STIFF
• There is no limit to the amount of films that a filmmaker, producer or film school may submit.
• Fiction, documentary and animated student films up to 60 min. in length are eligible for the competition category.
• In order to be admitted, the materials must be in English or presented with English subtitles (embedded).
• If selected you will be required to additionally submit a .srt document with your dialogue list in English.
• Films must be submitted via FilmFreeway and screeners must be password protected and not available for public online stream.
• Once a film has been submitted for participation it cannot be withdrawn.
• The Festival does not pay screening fees as it is a non-profit festival.
• The deadline for registration and delivery of materials is May 1st, 2019.
• STIFF has a no refund policy and reserves the right not to return any submission fees once the film is successfully submitted through Filmfreeway.