STIFF – Student International Film Festival is now calling on all student and debutant filmmakers to submit their films for the 9th festival edition which will take place from 24th to 27th of November 2022 in Rijeka, Croatia.
Works entering the competition program must be original, student-created films or debutant films of all genres: fiction, documentary, animation, and experimental films. All the works need to be up to 60 min in length and completed after the 1st of January 2020.
The films must be in English or with English subtitles and must be submitted via FilmFreeway platform. The deadline for registration and delivery of materials is June 20th, 2022.
STIFF festival accepts films of all genres and themes, however special attention will be given to the films corresponding to the festival topic which is "Play". Through this topic we aim to explore human activities that are not rooted in pragmatism. We are looking at the act of playing as a spontaneous and freeing activity. A world of possibility that has yet its own set of rules.
How much are we allowed to play in our everyday lives and who writes the rules? What are the games we play as adults - do they restrain or liberate us? Do we go around the rules as we make love, films, and as we make new encounters? What do these creations say about us? Our wish is to reaffirm the seriousness of play as a tool for learning about ourselves and the world, simultaneously prioritizing creativity and pleasure.
The festival jury will award Best Fiction Film, Best Documentary, and Best Animated Film while our audiences will award one film of their choice. Special mentions might be given to the outstanding talents from the fields of directing, production, acting, screenwriting, cinematography, editing, production design, sound design and score composing.
STIFF is Croatia’s first International Film Festival dedicated entirely to student films. Established by the SKC Rijeka (Student Cultural Center) and Filmaktiv – the purpose of the festival is strengthening the student film industry by allowing an insight into the work of other fellow student filmmakers, encouraging the development of new ideas and establishing international collaborations in the field of media production. STIFF’s main goal is to present the best of the student film production from all around the world and help them get their audiences. It strives to educate audiences about the quality of work of emerging filmmakers.
STIFF is supported by the Croatian Audiovisual Centre, City of Rijeka, and University of Rijeka
Festival jury will award:
• Best Fiction Film
• Best Documentary
• Best Animation
• An audience award will be given to the Best Film
• Special mentions might be given to the outstanding talents from the fields of directing, production, acting, screenwriting, cinematography, editing, production design, sound design and score composing…
• All entries must be original, student created films or Debutant Film (the first film made after finishing film school)
• All the works for the competition category need to be produced after 1st of January 2020.
• By submitting your work you certify that you hold necessary rights for the presentation of this film at STIFF
• There is no limit to the amount of films that a filmmaker, producer or film school may submit.
• Fiction, documentary, animated and experimental student films up to 60 min. in length are eligible for the competition category.
• In order to be admitted, the materials must be in English or presented with English subtitles (embedded).
• If selected you will be required to additionally submit a .srt document with your dialogue list in English.
• Films must be submitted via FilmFreeway and screeners must be password protected and not available for public online stream.
• Once a film has been submitted for participation it cannot be withdrawn.
• The Festival does not pay screening fees as it is a non-profit festival.
• The deadline for registration and delivery of materials is June 20th, 2022.
• STIFF has a no refund policy and reserves the right not to return any submission fees once the film is successfully submitted through FilmFreeway.