Singapore South Asian International Film Festival (Sg.SAIFF) is devoted to a greater appreciation of South Asian cinema and culture by showcasing films, supporting emerging filmmakers, and promoting the diverse perspectives of the South Asian diaspora.
Singapore, being the gateway of Asia, only enhances the potential of the festival to emerge as the melting pot of diverse cultures using cinema as a medium. The festival will be held from August 30th to September 7th, 2019 at various venues.
Singapore South Asian International Film Festival (Sg.Saiff) showcases a combination of feature films, short films and documentaries under two sections - Competition (wherein titles from South Asia will compete for an award) and Non-Competition (Showcase) (wherein the best of South East Asian cinema will be screened).
Additionally, the festival will also offer a unique opportunity for filmmakers to market their films in the section ''South Asian Film Market'' that will be held from August 31st to September 1st, 2019. It also offers an opportunity to learn about acting, film making and screenwriting along with knowledge sessions like panel discussions, master classes and other business networking sessions. The festival will conclude with a cultural program including some exciting stage performances, awards and music.
The festival serves as a unique opportunity for a cultural interaction between two major geographical regions- South Asia and Singapore.
Best Feature Film
Best Short Film
Emerging South Asian Filmmaker Of The Year
1. Entry Fee Waiver Policy:
1. (a) Due to the importance of the film submission revenue in operating the Festival we are unable to offer any fee waivers. We do recognize the funding challenges that filmmakers face hence we encourage you to take advantage of the Early bird deadline.
1. (b) The Board of Directors chooses and invites the films which will be presented in Competition / Non - Competition categories.
1. (c) Each film which has been invited to be part of the Official Selection by the Board of Directors will receive Official Festival Laurels.
1. (d) Only films that meet the following conditions will be chosen for invitation in the Official Selection for the competition section.
1. (e) Films must have been made during 2018 and 2019.
1. (f) Films that are from the South Asia (Afghanistan, Bhutan, Bangladesh, India, Nepal, Maldives, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Singapore and Malaysia).
1. (g) Singapore South Asian International Film Festival (Sg.SAIFF) is open to films that have been exhibited on the Internet.
1. (h) Once a film has been selected it cannot be withdrawn from the Festival programme during the event.
1. (i) All films must be presented in their original language, with English subtitles. By "original language" we mean the language in which a film is or will be exhibited in its country of origin.
Entries at Singapore South Asian International Film Festival (Sg.SAIFF) is open to films or film makers from South Asia (Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Singapore, Malaysia, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka) for the competition section. It is mandatory that the film maker has to be of a South Asian origin or the film should have substantial South Asian content. This will be decided at the sole discretion of the Programming team.
2. (a) Subtitles
All films that are submitted must be screened in their original language with English subtitles wherever applicable.
The cost of subtitling is the sole responsibility of the producer.
Dubbed versions of films from other languages are not eligible for submission.
2. (b) Feedback
The festival will not provide feedback on films or specific reasons for rejection for any film. The filmmaker will be notified about selection at the end of the selection process and no information will be divulged before that.
2. (c) Censorship
Films applying for the festival, require a certification from the Infocom Media Development Authority (IMDA). Films will be screened subject to censorship clearance from IMDA. The guidelines can be found here [Link]
Even if a film already has a certification from their country, the film still needs to be certified by the Infocom Media Development Authority (IMDA)
2. (d) Other Criteria for Eligibility
The Chairperson of the festival reserves the right to settle all cases not covered by the guidelines and to grant exceptions in special cases. All cases will be governed by and construed in all respects in accordance with the laws of Singapore and settled under the exclusive jurisdiction of the Courts of Singapore.
3. (a) Feature Films should be minimum 60 minutes in length( including credits) with no maximum time limit.
3. (b) Short Fiction Competition section will feature only films less than 20 minutes in length. Longer film- maximum 30 minutes in length may be included in other sections of the festival e.g.. Showcase Cection
3. (c) Short Non-Fiction should be less than 30 minutes in length. There is no competition section in this category and no prizes will be awarded.
3(d) Long Documentaries - films longer than 30 minutes are invited to the festival and will be showcased in a separate section.There is no competition section in this category and no prizes will be awarded.
4. Submission Guidelines
4 (a) Singapore South Asian International Film Festival accepting submission via the below submission partners:
4 (b) Enclosures including Film Stills (min. 2 nos), Vertical Film Posters (min. 2 nos), Directors Pictures, Directors bio – filmography and a short synopsis must be sent for inclusion in the festival catalogue needs to be updated on filmfreeway.com. For any other queries contact: email@example.com.
4. (c) If the language of the film is other than English, it should be sub-titled in English.
4. (d) The festival encourages submissions to be sent through online links and DVDs. We discourage uploaded videos.
4. (e) The below address is for the selected films for the festival. The DCPs need to reach the below address by 10th June 2018.
Singapore South Asian International Film Festival (Sg.SAIFF)
15 Enggor Street,
10-01 Realty Centre,
4. (f) No requests for private screenings to Selection committee members will be entertained. All films have to submit directly to the Singapore South Asian International Film Festival only through the above mentioned methods.
4. (g) All correspondence regarding sending media through courier/postal invoice must say:
‘For Singapore South Asian International Film Festival selection purposes/cultural purpose only.’
4. (h) Films that are damaged or lost in transit are not the festival’s responsibility.
5. (a) A completed submission consists of a correctly filled online submission form along with the film screener reaching the festival and realization of payment of fees.
5. (b) The deadline for completed entry forms, payment as well as submitting the films must be strictly observed.
The last date of completing submission is 15th April, 2019.
5. (c) Deadlines for submission of films and for accepted media to reach our festival office are as follows:-
Early bird: January 25th, 2019
Regular Deadline: March 26th, 2019
Late Deadline: April 15th, 2019
6. Payment Gateway
Details of the payment are at the end of the entry form once you reach the payment gateway. According to your choice of mode of payment, all details will appear on screen.
7. Fee Structure
Early Bird Entry Fee: 35 USD
Regular Entry Fee: 40 USD
Late Deadline Fee: 45 USD
Long Non-Fiction (Documentaries)
Early Bird Entry Fee: 25 USD
Regular Entry Fee: 30 USD
Late Deadline Fee: 35 USD
Short Non-Fiction (Documentaries)
Early Bird Entry Fee: 20 USD
Regular Entry Fee: 25 USD
Late Deadline Fee: 30 USD
Short Fiction (Short Films)
Early Bird Entry Fee: 20 USD
Regular Entry Fee: 25 USD
Late Deadline Fee: 30 USD
8. Documentation and Festival Catalogue
The festival extensively documents each film that is submitted and therefore it is very important that detailed information on each film is submitted. This information includes synopsis, director's filmography, biography, director's note on the film, cast list of the film & producer details, high resolution pictures, poster designs, full list of artistic and technical details, a high resolution still of the director etc. It is mandatory for all this details to be including while submitting through the submission platforms.
9. (a) The festival appoints a Jury consisting of renowned personalities from the world of film and art to judge the competitive and non-competitive sections. Any person who has participated in the production or promotion of any film selected for the Competition may not serve on the Jury.
9. (b) The Festival Director or his/her representative may attend jury deliberations but will take no part in the voting. Jury members are sworn to secrecy. Jury discussions and ballots remain strictly confidential even after the Festival has ended.
9. (c) Jury will determine the winning films and will be composed of individuals selected by the Festival Authorities. The decision of Jury will be final and binding to all.
9. (d) The Jury has the right to withhold an award in any category where no entries, in the Jurys view, meet its standards for award / recognition.
9. (e) The jury can evolve its own rules for assessment of the entries.
9. (f) No person in any way connected with the production or commercial exploitation of a competitive entry will be a member of the jury.
9. (g) All members of the jury will refrain from releasing any articles or reviews to the press concerning the film submitted for their judgement until after jury’s decision have been formally announced at the closing function
10. Official Logo and Advertising
10. (a) The official Festival logo should be displayed in all advertising and promotional material of all the films selected for screening in the festival. These should also be clearly visible for theatrical release as well as for Video/DVD/Digital distribution in India and abroad. All selected films will receive a digital logo of the festival. Award-winning films will receive the appropriate logo with the name of the prize.
10. (b) Poster and synopsis of the film (maximum 200 words) must be uploaded on these platforms.
10. (c) Participants can send multiple entries. However, please submit a separate entry for each film.
11. Publicity material
11. (a) Once entered, films may not be withdrawn from participation at Singapore South Asian International Film Festival (Sg.SAIFF) under any circumstances.
11. (b) By submitting their film to Singapore South Asian International Film Festival (Sg.SAIFF), the filmmaker/producer/submitter takes the whole responsibility of copyright issues of music, script and other creative and technical aspects of the film. He/She accepts the responsibility for the accuracy of the information supplied and authorizes Singapore South Asian International Film Festival (Sg.SAIFF) to reproduce and use personal/company’s contact information as supplied. The applicant/submitter confirms that he/she has the requisite authority or has obtained the requisite authority from the producer/right holder/concerned authorities to enter, screen and publicise the film in Singapore South Asian International Film Festival (Sg.SAIFF) and make available the print for screening. Singapore South Asian International Film Festival (Sg.SAIFF) is not responsible/ answerable to any copyright/legal issues regarding submitted film.
11. (c) Notification of selected films will be announced on website/social media platforms as per schedule (tentative date – 15th May, 2019). This date applies to the films selected in the competition sections only. Non Competition section films which are selected to be showcased may be intimated before or after this date. However, the festival management reserves the right to change the dates, accept or refuse any film without assigning any reason whatsoever.
11. (d) Filmmakers/delegates of short listed films will be invited to attend the festival. However, the festival may not arrange or reimburse for travel/ stay expenses of the participants attending the festival. The winners' travel and accommodation would be paid by the festival.
11. (e) Festival management/organisers shall determine selections and award winners at their sole discretion. Decision of the Singapore South Asian International Film Festival (Sg.SAIFF) festival management regarding all matters not expressly provided for, in these rules and regulations or which require interpretation of the clauses mentioned above shall be final and cannot be challenged.
11. (f) Though we will be doing our best efforts and arrangements to screen selected films in topmost commercial quality during the event, we cannot guarantee a commercial cinema hall display or effects, as screening may be held in an auditorium.
11. (g) Shipping and Insurance: All cost, if any, related to the shipment of the film, publicity, promotional and photographic material to and from the Singapore South Asian International Film Festival (Sg.SAIFF) will be at the expense of the participants.
11. (h) Participants/Production Companies may contact Singapore South Asian International Film Festival (Sg.SAIFF) for the promotion of the film, their brands/logo etc during the festival event or online promotions. Please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line as ‘promotion of our ‘film.brand/logo’ to get more information and schemes about this.
11. (i) For any queries Singapore South Asian International Film Festival (Sg.SAIFF) can be contacted at:
Landline Tel: +022 26395291 (India)
Mobile: +91 9702103398 (India)
Mobile: +65 98218080 (Singapore)
Successful entries will be acknowledged via E-mail / Submission Platform/ website as per article 11(c) above..
13. Selection Process
13. (a)SGSAIFF Programming team along with the confidential sub-jury will select the films to be included in the official programme of the festival (Competition Section only) .Festival Team will select the films for the showcase sections. The Official Jury comprising eminent film personalities will watch, deliberate upon and declare the winners of the all the prizes in the competition section. Honorary awards will be conferred by the Festival Authorities under the Chairmans guidance.
13. (b) The decision of the selection committees and the jury will be final & binding on all and will not be subject to discussion.
14. Rights of Festival Authorities
14. (a) Festival Authorities reserve the right to accept or not to accept any films on any ground including the likelihood of the film offending the feelings of any state, religion, country or on the grounds such as racism and religion.
14. (b) Decisions of the Festival Authorities regarding all matters not expressly provided for in these regulations or which require interpretation of the clauses mentioned above shall be final & binding on all parties.
It is the sole responsibility of the applicant to secure clearance from the copyright holders of any copyrighted materials included within the submitted film. Singapore South Asian International Film Festival (Sg.SAIFF) will not be held responsible for the unauthorized inclusion of any copyrighted materials within or relating to the submitted film. Singapore South Asian International Film Festival (Sg.SAIFF) reserves the right to disqualify any film with any unauthorized inclusion of copyrighted materials.
The films once submitted for selection as well as digital tapes / media sent for the final screening will be retained for the Festival Archive. Also, CDs / DVDs, containing photographs & publicity material received will not be returned.
Cost of transportation of tapes / media and all related documents, publicity materials to the Singapore South Asian International Film Festival (Sg.SAIFF) Office shall be borne by the entrant.
18. (a) Films may be entered by any organization / agency or by an individual film Producer / Director who hold the copyright or with consent letter from the producer.
18. (b) Singapore South Asian International Film Festival (Sg.SAIFF) is under no obligation to provide comments or feedback's regarding the submitted film to applicant or any other representative of the submitted film.
18. (c) For promotional / publicity purposes, clippings from any film entered in the festival may be shown on the National / International Television / Local network / Internet, etc.
18. (d) Submissions with incorrect / inadequate / illegible / ambiguous particulars will not be considered.
Address in regards to Selected Entries:
Singapore South Asian International Film Festival (Sg.SAIFF)
10 Anson Road,
16-13 International Plaza,
All disputes in respect of any matter relating to the Singapore South Asian International Film Festival (Sg.SAIFF) shall be subjected to the exclusive jurisdiction of the competent courts and forums in Singapore.